The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Ventings of a frustrated fan....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Eris_ View Post
Oh man, that's harsh! I can't say I've ever had that close of an experience, but I can
almost feel the pain you must be going through, to turn down something wonderful like
working for Trek. But, in the long run, I know you'll know it was worth finishing your
degree and stuff like that, and hopefully, you'll land a spot in any of the upcoming movies
or possibly series of Trek.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
I know from my recent posting that I sound really really whiney... I only whine when I have a bit too much time. The web work is soo dull. The people I work for take forever to make a decision of what they want me to do next. I sit around my desk at the office... waiting and wishing for more interesting work. I'm paid well for my time. The art teaching job has it mixture of delight and utter torture(whiney kids who don't want to do the work). Since I first started my whining binge... Saturday I picked up a small gig doing some vfx work for a short-film chinese ghost story. Last night I began negotiating with someone about modeling a cartoon character for a paint commercial for a South American country. Yay... finally something that uses my skills!!!

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 02-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Plus, I bet right now would be a great time to apply either at Paramount or CBS Interactive.
Catch 22... while waiting... I've picked up so much other work... I don't have the time or the energy to look. The company I do web work wants to keep me. They haven't really tried to find a replacement or even a fellow web person to share the load. In a way it is good cause they let me step out for 2 weeks(in Dec. whenno new projects are coming in) to work for Proof. Suddenly it was busy again... now slow. I just hope the 2 side projects I picked up this weekend(big surprise) will help to lead to other things. Now I'm on the job 7 days a week! I'm married to my career. I don't mind.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Ensign

I know it's not much consolation but I think you made the right decision to stay with your schooling. You had already committed yourself to that and it was the course you were meant to take. Sure...it's frustrating to think about what "could have been" but it does no good to look back and speculate. You may or may not have gotten a more permanent position. The important thing was to finish your education. Something will come along and maybe even something better than a gig with Star Trek. Just hang in there. You may want to consider going back to school and work toward a masters. It would make you more employable.

Kevin
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrek View Post
I know it's not much consolation but I think you made the right decision to stay with your schooling. You had already committed yourself to that and it was the course you were meant to take. Sure...it's frustrating to think about what "could have been" but it does no good to look back and speculate. You may or may not have gotten a more permanent position. The important thing was to finish your education. Something will come along and maybe even something better than a gig with Star Trek. Just hang in there. You may want to consider going back to school and work toward a masters. It would make you more employable.

Kevin
I'm 28... this is my second degree... no more schooling(no time for enrichment classes even)...time to work. My first degree was fine arts(drawing, painting, sculpting and cel animation). 2001 when I graduated the US traditional animation industry vanished. I worked alot of different jobs to pay off my loans while searching for other ways to just live. Meet good people..did interesting things. Substitute teaching, art teacher, background acting, caricature artist, department store worker...but all I saw were dead ends. Went back to school 2003. Here I am... Financially I am well off, I live on my own. My relatives no longer blame and pester my mom for letting me pursue my dreams. My dreams are not far fetched at all... to work, just to work, on some really really great movies and/or tv shows or commercials. I'm in the right town to do it in... the way things have gone for me... seems like I'll always be a hair short of my goal. We'll see.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Midshipman

No, I don't think you will be stuck forever. You're paying your "dues" now. The way you write you seem diligent enough, and it will pay off in the end; just the waiting that sucks. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Commander

Thanks you guys... the people I went to school with do not watch Star Trek or barely or only watch it when I watch it. I had a 3D teacher who worked on that comet for the opening title of DS9, he talked about it but he didn't even know what series it was for, when I said how cool that was and pipped in the shows name, the class was like... that's so Diana. They don't understand what a big deal this was to me, neither mom or dad...my sisters were rooting for me of course but eh. Love you guys!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Rear Admiral

If you have the time, you should make a short Star Trek Animation, say around 5 minutes or so. Maybe get some friends to help put. Then send it to people and post on Youtube like Ryan and Dorkman did.

although, only Ryan ended up getting a job out of that though.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
If you have the time, you should make a short Star Trek Animation, say around 5 minutes or so. Maybe get some friends to help put. Then send it to people and post on Youtube like Ryan and Dorkman did.

although, only Ryan ended up getting a job out of that though.
Thanks for the idea! I wouldn't mind making my own Star Trek films. Career-wise I had to avoid it at school. Its not good having a reel of mostly Star Trek stuff if you are applying to all kinds of companies. In my 3D modeling reel I just had a 360 spin of Voyager in wireframe and simple shader. Long before I went back to school. I cooked up my own fantasy sci-fi story(14 pages so far) as a source of original ideas for drawings, paintings, 3D models and animation. It became my thesis. Check it out at http://www.dianahuang.com if you like. There is a ton of work yet to be done. Alas the time to do that has vanished. Summer will be the best time. I don't teach on Sundays in the summer. I look forward to that...

Old 02-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Midshipman

Site's blocked by Explorer 7. Why does your site need to download files to my computer?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaelmar View Post
Site's blocked by Explorer 7. Why does your site need to download files to my computer?
Damn... its because the site is Flash based. Use Firefox or some other browser if you can. Microsoft doesn't want to pay Macromedia the license fee to add Flash Players. There is a javascript fix to this. I never got around to adding it to my own site. I'll fix it when I have time and access to my files at home.