The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Which Episode did you first watch in TNG?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

JoeFromEarth wrote:
Quote:
"Conspiracy". I was very little and snuck downstairs, hid behind the couch, and watched the show with my grandpa and older brother.
Was it illegal to watch "Star Trek" in your house?
Was it banned for some reason?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

The only show I was told not to watch when I was little was "Night Gallery".. I guess I had nightmares. But you know, I was like... 6?

Trek, Outer Limits, TZ reruns, Lost in Space, Space 1999... those were all okay.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Commander

I got to watch "Encounter At Farpoint" the first time it came on. It was shown on one of our local channels, then that channel decided not to carry the rest of the series, and I didn't get to watch STNG again for years until that same channel began to show it in late night syndication. I really fell in love with the series and stayed up many a late night watching it. It was fascinating and some of the episodes introduced ideas that TOS had never even dreamed of. I got used to the characters very quickly, their quirks, their differences. I was really dissapointed when Tasha Yar died, I really liked her, and I don't mean infatuation or puppy love, I mean I really thought she was an interesting member of the crew with a cool personality and a dangerous past. Then she up and died and I was mega pissed! It took me awhile to get over that, but I just kept on watching, and I was never once dissapointed with an episode of STNG, nor was I ever bored by one. Then came DS9 and I had a completely opposite reaction. No ship, no characters I could Identify with and understand except O'brien. It was like Star Trek meets the Twilight Zone and it was a bad mix for me. Voyager again, I didn't get to watch until it got to syndication, but I loved it from the start. Cool Captain, cool ship, cool crew, back to exploring the far reaches of space and with some really neat twists as well. There was simply nothing I didn't like about it. Enterprise I watched the entire first season of, and part of the second during it's first run. There were some episodes that were really good, but most were difficult to watch and there was something about the chemistry between the actors that made them seem ill at ease around each other. They didn't have the same deep caring relationships among them that the other three spacefaring series had. It was like none of them really liked each other, there was just tolerance. The backplot that tried to tie the entire series together didn't hold up too well, and although some individual episodes were exceptional, overall the series became a dissapointment, and eventually boring, and I just quit watching. Pity, I had such high hopes for that series at the beginning. I did get to watch some of what I had missed in syndication, but it was the same. A lot of the episodes that had nothing to do with the backplot were cool, but the ones that did just fizzled. At least, that's how it seemed to me.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Lieutenant

Encounter at farpoint.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think the first one I watched was All Good Things...

My dad didn't start watching TNG until it's run was over, then he became a fan. That, in turn, made me a TNG fan as well.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Vice Admiral

The pilot all those years go. I thought it was pretty good but still lacking in several ways... the usual for pilots.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Lieutenant

When I was four I remember sitting on my Dad's lap and watching this show called Star Trek: The Next Generation. I only remember seeing this ship called the Enterprise moving inside a large rock in an asteroid field just before a commercial came. Then I had to go to bed. Now, which episode am I reffering to?.....

Nah, I'll just say. "Pegasus" from Season 7. That's the first one I saw.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Yup thats the one. And Picards little stunt probably made the political and diplomatic types that have to deal with Romulans every day very upset indeed.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Commander

"Encounter at Farpoint," yeah, i was there from the beginning of TNG. I was, as yet, unfamiliar with TOS, so all things done on TNG struck me as new and interesting.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Frank View Post
JoeFromEarth wrote:

Was it illegal to watch "Star Trek" in your house?
Was it banned for some reason?

no, it was just on past my bedtime

check out my blog @ www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
and my bros blog @ http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/