The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > How come Janeway never promoted Harry kim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2008, 03:53 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Q View Post
Personally, I agree with some of his choices in women...
I agree, this board has been filled with "seven of Nine was great / hot / lovely / sexy (fill in which you think) but he liked Seven!

Beth, was fantastic and very cute, so whats worng with his choices?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:12 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholleyuk View Post
I agree, this board has been filled with "seven of Nine was great / hot / lovely / sexy (fill in which you think) but he liked Seven!

Beth, was fantastic and very cute, so whats worng with his choices?
seven was amazing
Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think as far as promotions go, they must be approved by Star Fleet Command. Captains could appoint acting ensigns or even Enlisted Men which is what all the Maquis survivors were...

The only other way to promote is through loss on the battlefield in order to fill a position vacated by death or MIA situations. There was essentially no reason to promote anyone if there wasn't a pressing need for a ranking officer.

...Logicialy speaking.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Lieutenant Commander

true
Old 11-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

but they of course should be promoted as soon as they get home.

If I was handing out reviews...

I would initiated a formal inquiry of Janeway.
Chakotay would be assigned to Star Fleet Command.
Tuvok should be promoted Captain of Voyager.
Kim Should be promoted to First Officer. (retaining his yellow uniform)
Paris promoted to Lieutenant
B'Elanna promted to Lt. Commander and have her teach at the Academy during for a limited time.

Seven of Nine is she wanted I would asign to the Pathfinder Project to return the Delta Quadrant.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I think as far as promotions go, they must be approved by Star Fleet Command. Captains could appoint acting ensigns or even Enlisted Men which is what all the Maquis survivors were...

The only other way to promote is through loss on the battlefield in order to fill a position vacated by death or MIA situations. There was essentially no reason to promote anyone if there wasn't a pressing need for a ranking officer.

...Logicialy speaking.
I think there is precedent that Captain's can also give field promotions under certain circumstances - Picard did it with Wesley when he wasn't even in the Academy yet and gave him uniform and rank priviliges aboard ship. Although that was only ensign rank, I don't think it would prevent promotion to other grades. She would have to justify upon return, but she had no-one to immediately answer to. So, I think Janeway could have done it if she wanted to do so. But then he has to be, in theory, replaced, or he just has the same job but with an extra pin, and the ship had a finite crew, so it may have been more operational practicality rather than not wanting to do it.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

That was acting Ensign. Star Fleet still approved his status as a full ensign.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Vice Admiral

I think Janeway should have promoted poor Harry. The idea that it has to go thru Starfleet does not hold any water in my opinion. How long was Voyager in the Delta quadrant before they established regular communication with Starfleet? Prior to setting up a regular communications line with Starfleet, Voyager was Janeway's baby to do with as she wished. A promotion for Harry would not have really meant much, as far as changes to position for Harry, or giving him more "pay", like priviledges on ship, but it would have been a nice gesture. It would also have been good for ship moral. Janeway could say she still gave out awards and promotions because it WOULD matter when they got home and the crew would move on with their carreers.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
That was acting Ensign. Star Fleet still approved his status as a full ensign.
Yes, but Picard granted it in field before running it past Starfleet, and Wesley hadn't even been near the Academy yet, there's no reason that under Voyager's unique circumstances, Janeway couldn't have done the same with Harry. What if a lieutenant somewhere on the ship had been killed in a shuttle accident or away mission and needed replaced, and Harry was suitable? She's not going to call Starfleet long distance to ask. Unless she moves him into a lieutenant role but without actually changing his rank from ensign, which seems unfair.

Course, she perhaps just didn't feel he deserved promotion.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

That's right. It's not offical untill approved.
Promotions in the field are subject to Star Fleet's approval. Just like Commander Chokotay. his rank was provisional. When he got back Star Fleet could have said..."I don't think so".

Wesly was made acting ensign because of his outstanding talents. He become full Ensign because of his dedication to his job and his intention to enter the Academy.

Notice thought when he went to the Academy he was busted down to cadet. He didn't maintain that rank, it was only provisional.