The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Warp Drive Theory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

The thing is, Zard, I can see a TARDIS being every bit as probable as is an FTL drive. They both exist in the realm of "fun to think about, but breaks all the rules" type science fiction/fantasy. Peter Nicholls has a great book called "The Science in Science Fiction." It's a great read, and he describes WHY these things can't happen.

Bugs cannont grow to the size of VWs.
Men cannot shrink, (or be shrunk) and remain people.
There is no way to produce anti-gravity
Spindizzy drives don't work.
Time Travel (as we conceive it) is not possible.
Aliens would not be able to mate with humans.
The Earth is not hollow, and there is no lost civilization inside.
Spacecraft cannot manuver like WWI fighter planes.
Invisibility is impossible.
Force Feilds and force sheilds (manipulating nuclear strong force on a macro scale) are impossible.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
The thing is, Zard, I can see a TARDIS being every bit as probable as is an FTL drive. They both exist in the realm of "fun to think about, but breaks all the rules" type science fiction/fantasy. Peter Nicholls has a great book called "The Science in Science Fiction." It's a great read, and he describes WHY these things can't happen.

Force Feilds and force sheilds (manipulating nuclear strong force on a macro scale) are impossible.
Man...Fan that's not what my movie collections says......
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post

Then there's just no fun left after all that's taken away!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Commander

The thing that people need to keep in mind whenever they see a published scientific or mathematical theory about certain things in science fiction is that in theoretical science, you may be bound by theory and laws, but you aren't necessarily bound by reality. There are a lot of things that can exist in theory, but they exist only in contrived conditions that are in and of themselves highly improbable.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 09-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Vice Admiral

I think people should be careful to use the word "impossible" when describing any future technology. I am sure many things that seemed "impossible" today will be commonplace in a few hundred years. Mankind continues to make great discoveries and advances. I think the stars are truly the limit.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Federation Councillor

If everything is probability based, it doesn't rule out the potential for it happening. It's just less likely to than most other things. And although it may be well beyond the lifetimes of any of us, I like to think that far enough in the future, somethings may be possible.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Rear Admiral

Sometimes I think Trek's tech might be more feasible if it was set a thousand years later--the 33rd-Century. But regardless of the timeframe, if such wondrous--if not magical things--are possible one day, it won't be accomplished with our science or understanding of how the Universe works...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Midshipman

For what all of humanity will be facing ahead I say we better get crackin and start building some starships than tickering around in space with the same old shuttle stuff. 30 years of the same stuff in the space program sounds like serious stagnation, of which we all can't afford to continue with. I believe Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre is close to the truth of warp drive. As my own theory on it coincides with his application of time & space bubble around the ship. http://www.hostedforfree.com/members...t/tqmeta2.html

Last edited by Vulkanis : 06-08-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: messed up on my sentence
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I very much doubt that men and women will ever visit or colonise any planets beyond this solar system.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Captain

I honestly cant wrap my head around the whole warp idea. No matter how it is explained to me, it allways ends up with me concluding its all bullocks.

1. Warp drive contracts space in front of the craft and shortens the distance.

Problems: The ship would still have to cross this shortened distance. While doing it will also go thorugh the space warp effect. Therefore it will "shrink" and the relative distances between ship and destination do not change. If the ship does not cross the warped space, then warp flight would merely be a way of zooming close to the destination without ever reaching it. Because as soon you are close and switch the drive off, the zooming effect is gone and the ship is where it started again. Such a warp drive would actually be a terribly expansive telescope.

2. A bubble of space is created around the craft. Space flows around that bubble faster then the speed of light. The bubble moves faster then the speed of light, while the ship inside the bubble does not moove relative to its surrounding space.

Problem: That means that you can take a spoon full of space, rip it out of this universe and place it somewhere else. This warp drive idea needs that space has characteristics of a fluid and that it is not a continuum. So, even if we could rip a portion of space out of the universe and make that space bubble fly around, carrying a ship inside, how do we reintegrate space into the universe? How do we weave the two space portions together again? How do we make place for our space patch to fit into the orbit of our destination planet? And if space behaves like a fluid, then philosophically it is not space anymore, because then there must be a higher reference system: Superspace?

Final Problem: Gravity expands space. But all warp theories need space to contract. What in the universe could possible contract space? Antigravitation? Can something be lighter then nothing? Negative energy? Can something have less power then zero? That doesnt even makes sense, not to mention a contraction of space was never ever witnessed. Whats the effects of contracted space anyway?

Conclusion: Warp theory asks more questions then it answers. Its not even a theory in scientific terms. Its a neat little game of the mind for the time being. My guess is, we will never achieve that.

The chances are much higher that we achieve quantum communications that allow us to communicate without any delay of time over any given distance. As soon as that is possible we can send space ships manned with drones to any planet, slower then the speed of light. As soon as these ships reach their destination, the robots can start to build robots (Artificial Intelligence) and colonize the planet. With Virtual Reality we then can take walks on that planet virtually (thanks to quantum entanglement). Thats it, there you have a future that is much more likely to happen and much closer to what we do know about the universe and what we can do allready.

Watch the TNG Episode "Interface" and imagine the Enterprise would be Nasa Headquarters (or simply think of Matrix).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzZ7BJd7yQ

Last edited by Botany Bay : 06-09-2009 at 04:42 AM.