The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Warp Drive Theory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Ensign

Default Warp Drive Theory

According to Einstein faster then light travel is not possible. However recent physics have proven that it is if you create a "warp bubble" around a object of mass to deform space/time but the power required to do so is so many numbers I couldn't fit them in this post.

So here's my Question.

1.Do you believe it's possible?

2. If yes then how many years do you think it would take before the first prototype?

3. And in your opinion what kind of power source do you believe it would take.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Anything is possible. But if it can be doen it's a couple of hundred years off yet.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Federation Councillor

It's a theoretical possibility, much the same as some time travel theories, but regarding it's actuall development, warp drive would be a long, long, long way off (if ever). I think, anyway.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I would agree.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Vice Admiral

I think "warp drive" could be much closer than we think. The power source still needs to be created, but I think mankind is capable of many things in short periods of time. Maybe in my grandchildren's lifetime? Great-grandchildren's lifetime? (I don't have kids yet) How long did it take mankind to go from Wright brother's type airplanes to walking on the moon? I know we haven't made giant leaps in technological advancement in that area since the 60's, but when we do they come fast!

I hate to sound like the average Trekkie, but I think antimatter will someday be a huge powersource for mankind. I think TREK got many things right when it comes to our future technological achievments.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 09-24-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer the power source part of the question!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb42682 View Post
According to Einstein faster then light travel is not possible. However recent physics have proven that it is if you create a "warp bubble" around a object of mass to deform space/time but the power required to do so is so many numbers I couldn't fit them in this post.
"Proven" is way too strong of a word. It's considered a valid solution to the problem posed by Einstein's theory, but it's only a mathematical abstraction. And it's not just a matter of power. It also relies on the existence of what they call exotic matter, the existence of which is only hypothetical at best. Last I heard there isn't even a hypothetical way to obtain and/or manipulate exotic matter to begin with. Over the years, numerous other papers have been published that either help, debunk, or raise more questions. In the end, it's all still academic thus far.

There are other ideas for alternatives should the matter needed to create the space curvature not be available. But you'd end up with more of a Babylon 5 situation with jump gates.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 09-24-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think it is possible, but it would take too much energy... an amount of energy we will never be able to use.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 09-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Commander

I'm actually willing to be a little bit more flexible on the power issue, but not by much. Some of the followup publications have proposed reducing the power requirement by adjusting the shape of the actual bubble. But even then, the amount of energy to move a single atom is just way more than we can possibly hope to obtain, even with antimatter and a 100% efficient system. We'd need the energy equivalent of almost 3 solar masses (according to a 1999 paper by Van Den Broeck). 1 solar mass being 332,950 times the mass of the Earth.

I heard of a modified version of Van Den Broeck's idea that has reduced the negative energy mass needed to a few milligrams, but I haven't found much detail on that.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 09-24-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

By the time we find a way to curve space in a way that will allow us to travel FTL, we will have evolved into something other than human.

The "power requirements" may be a dead end argument. Since we have abolutely no way of knowing how such a drive would work, no one has any idea of what it would take to power it. It could need more energy than the universe has produced in it's lifetime... or it might just need a couple of "AA" batteries... We just don't know.

Step one: study the fabric of the universe, and learn how to manipulate it.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
By the time we find a way to curve space in a way that will allow us to travel FTL, we will have evolved into something other than human.

The "power requirements" may be a dead end argument. Since we have abolutely no way of knowing how such a drive would work, no one has any idea of what it would take to power it. It could need more energy than the universe has produced in it's lifetime... or it might just need a couple of "AA" batteries... We just don't know.

Step one: study the fabric of the universe, and learn how to manipulate it.
Well, I for one, am buying a used TARDIS....