The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Garak.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Midshipman

Exclamation Garak.

What a brilliant character, brilliant actor, definetly my favourite character on the show.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Commander

Who doesn't like Garak? Is it even possible??!!

(He's still my second favourite Star Trek character ever.)
Old 09-24-2008, 03:43 AM
Lieutenant

Yeah he was cool, but... why did he not shoot Dukat!!! I would have liked to see Garak becoming the new Dukat.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholleyuk View Post
Yeah he was cool, but... why did he not shoot Dukat!!! I would have liked to see Garak becoming the new Dukat.
But over the series Garak came ot care for his new human.non human freinds, shooting Dukat was a way to save them...and himself.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_London View Post
What a brilliant character, brilliant actor, definetly my favourite character on the show.
I agree one hundred percent! Garak was secretive, witty, dark, and cheerful all at the same time. A very well written, and acted, character. Garak has my vote as best DS9 character.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholleyuk View Post
Garak becoming the new Dukat? NEVER!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Rear Admiral

I think the reason why some people don't like Garak, is because of his hidden and secretive personality. He even admits to Bashir in "The Wire" that he hated being on a station surrounded by people who hate him, and that the lights were always too bright, and the air always too cold. There is more to him that meets the eye, and that is what some people probably don't like all that much about him. Not until the later seasons, do we see the real Garak come out of the shadows when he fought for his homeworld.

*As for Garak becomming the new Dukat...I don't think so. That is just rediculous...He's better than that.

In fact, Garak is someone I can picture having a cup of tea with the Queen of England! Hahaha!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 10-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Banned

Persoanlly I think Garak was the best, "Spoonhead". There's just something about his character that both interests me and warms me to him. the lessons and jokes he told Dr Bashir added toboth the humor and seriousnes of the show.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
In fact, Garak is someone I can picture having a cup of tea with the Queen of England! Hahaha!
Garak would either introduce the Queen to Red Leaf Tea and Cardassian enigma tales, or he would assassinate her.

....Or possibly both.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I agree one hundred percent! Garak was secretive, witty, dark, and cheerful all at the same time. A very well written, and acted, character. Garak has my vote as best DS9 character.
Agreed as well. A fascinating, complex, and all-round brilliant character. He was involved in some of DS9's very best 'character' scenes, in my opinion - two in particular come to mind. For one, Garak earning the respect of Worf and Martok by overcoming claustrophobia to facilitate escape from the Dominion prison. He's an accomplished spy, a hardened fighter, and basically a military mastermind - yet two Klingons were openly admiring of him for fighting a fear of enclosed spaces. That one scene says so much about both Garak and those two Klingons, even though it's a small part of one episode.

Then there's his other scene with Worf, when Garak convinces him that he wants to be sponsored for admission to Starfleet Academy. When Worf finally agrees, Garak admits that he was simply lying for no reason - "because lying is a skill like any other", and it needs practice in order to stay sharp.

Or the time when the "tailor" almost overpowered Worf to seize control of the Defiant's weapons, in a self-sacrificing bid to lay waste to the Founders' homeworld.

And when he helped Sisko in his plot to bring Romulus into the Dominion War, possibly one of the biggest and deadliest acts of espionage in Starfleet history.

Anyone else read Andrew Robinson's novel about Garak, 'A Stitch in Time'? Great story, explains Garak's past and future pretty well, but leaving enough of that mystery intact.