The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > DS9 2×05: Cardassians
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Commander

Default DS9 2×05: Cardassians

Have been rewatching DS9 from the beginning and recently watched the season 2 ep Cardassians. For those who haven't watched it it's about a Cardassian boy who was abandoned on Bajor and brought up to hate Cardassians. His biological father discovers this and wants to bring him back to Cardassia. Bashir and Garek do some hunting and it turns out that Dukat orchestrated the boy's separation from his original family in order to damage the fathers' career (important politician).

I enjoyed the episode, it opens up some great themes, such as the fact that there are several Cardassian children abandoned on Bajor, it also hints that some of the children are possibly abused by Bajorans wanting to exact revenge. The episode hints a little more at O'Brien's racism towards Cardassians and also emphasises the strong family bonds that Cardassians share.

The problem with this episode I had was that it never really went into any of these issues. The thing which made my jaw drop was when Sisko gave custody of the boy to his biological father when the boy had made it clear that he hated Cardassians and clearly stated he wanted to stay on Bajor. You sympathise with the Cardassian father as he comes across as a nice guy compared to the slightly evasive and crotchity Bajoran father (whom may have abused the boy according to a small bit of dialogue).

The episode plays more on Dukat's involvement and into developing Bashir and Garek's relaitonship. Both interesting things but I think it detracts from the more 'human' element of the story. I would have liked to see the arbitration of the boys' custody, more into O'Brien's feelings towards Cardassians, the general fleshing out of how Bajoran society treats these children and why they were there in the first place.

In a way this could have been a 2-parter, not an action packed edge of your seat sort but a good piece of drama which gets you thinking exploring relevant and interesting issues. Certainly be a lot more interesting that Melora and Rivals
Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's been a very long time since I've watched that episode. I really need to rewatch DS9.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Federation Councillor

Unfortunately, I don't have the greatest recollection of that episode. I do recall seasons 1 and 2 had a lot of stories about the Bajoran/Cardassian history and fallout.

I'm still quite early in my program of rewatching VOY, so DS9 is going to have to wait a bit longer.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Commander

It is one of the more obscure episodes, I'd completely forgotten about it until I watched it. Is a reason for it as I wouldn't say it was a hidden gem, but I do think it asks some interesting questions, I recommend you guys watch it again should you have the chance.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Commander

I'm actually rewatching DS9 from the beginning as well and just finished "Whispers." I had also forgotten about "Cardassians" but did find it to be an interesting episode. I believe Sisko made the decision to give custody of Rugal to Kotan Pa'Dar his biological father because Pa'Dar did not abandon the child on Bajor as was originally thought. Pa'Dar was mislead in to believing that Rugal was dead. Had Pa'Dar abandon Rugal I believe Sisko would have granted custody to Proka Migdal, Rugal's adopted Bajoran father. A follow up episode a couple years later would have been great. They could have had Rugal visiting Proka on DS9 and we could have seen if Rugal still held the same prejudice towards Cardassians or if his views had changed.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Commander

I can see the logic of what you're saying, I'm just surprised that the desires of the child seem to have been ignored. I guess ultimately they just decided to focus on different aspects of the story. A follow up would definitely have been good.

I watched Whispers today. A great episode, probably one of my favourites of the season, you really feel sorry for the replicant and the abrupt death at the end is really quite shocking, especially how they talk to him as if he's not a person.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I can see the logic of what you're saying, I'm just surprised that the desires of the child seem to have been ignored. I guess ultimately they just decided to focus on different aspects of the story. A follow up would definitely have been good.
I don't think they totally ignored Rugal's desires but it's a difficult situation. Of course Rugal would want to stay with Proka because that is the only family he had ever known growing up, so how do you decide what is best for the boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I watched Whispers today. A great episode, probably one of my favourites of the season, you really feel sorry for the replicant and the abrupt death at the end is really quite shocking, especially how they talk to him as if he's not a person.
It was quite shocking but I think that is what they were going for. They didn't see him as the real O'Brien.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:34 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain
It was quite shocking but I think that is what they were going for. They didn't see him as the real O'Brien.
I agree and I think it works, if anything it makes you feel more sympathetic towards the replicant.

Just been chugging along through more of season 2, a string of rather mediocre episodes to be honest: Paradise, Shadowplay, Playing God, Profit and Loss. A few nice character pieces but some of it falls flat.

Blood Oath is quite fun, I'm glad they didn't try and make it too serious and opted to keeping it slightly lighter as otherwise it would have been embarrassing. One thing I'm steadily discovering is that Dax is probably one of the weaker characters of the show, I'm just not finding her that interesting. The symbiont stories don't really offer startling revelations and are difficult to relate to, Dax herself also doesn't seem anymore interesting then she did a season ago when the other characters are all developing and are more interesting to watch. Just my opinion of course, I'd be interested to hear from those who disagree.

Just watched The Marquis Part 1 today. A good story setting up a lot for the future, ironically used far better by DS9 than in Voyager! Is good to see Sisko getting knee deep in a situation spiralling out of control. I know from here on the season is a very strong one.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Federation Councillor

I think from my own recollection and impressions that Dax became more interesting once Worf arrived and their relationship developed.

There are some season 2 episodes I remember liking a lot (I've forgotten it's name right now but the one where Odo discovers more about Kira's past is one of my favourites of DS9 which makes it more annoying when I forget it's name) but there are also a lot of middle of the road ones as well. I like the season finale, which then obviously starts to spin the series out in the direction it would eventually take overall.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Federation Councillor

'Necessary Evil' - That's the one.

I also used to like - though certainly nothing special - 'Armageddon Game' but never was big on 'Tribunal' near seasons end.

courtesy of Saquist