The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > What is your favorite Alien?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Alien (1979) 8 57.14%
Aliens (1986) 5 35.71%
Alien 3 (1992) 1 7.14%
Alien: Resurrection (1997) 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Much as I love the first movie, the second was my favorite.

The first movie was very cool in that it immediately let you into the mindsets of 7 bored space haulers who spent the majority of their space travel life in hypersleep, and it had a very claustrophobic feel to it. Spartan conditions on the Nostromo, and the bleak surroundings of the moon that would eventually become LV-426 in the second film. The alien was frighteningly exquisite, and exquisitely frightening. And I liked Ridley Scott's approach of "less is more". I think over-revealing the alien in this movie would've been detrimental to the film's success. And yes, John Hurt's death scene is certainly one of the best in Hollywood history.

The second movie (as Commodore pointed out) was a war movie, plain and simple. It had some really great characters...archetypical, but great nonetheless. And Burke, the Corporate weasel was even likable at the beginning, up until he shows his true colors for the first time shortly after Ripley and the Marines narrowly escape their first encounter of the worst kind with the xenomorphs. And the aliens, powerful as they were, were felled by military hardware, although with some weapons it would take some doing. ALIENS was also the first movie to really bring "Space Marines" to the visual medium in cinema.

I love the special edition version of the second movie....it adds so much, and actually contributes to the narrative, instead of just being a bunch of retreaded dialogue that ended up on the cutting room floor. Even scenes with visual effects weren't spared. One of the coolest restored moments I enjoyed was when we were introduced to the starship USS Sulaco for the first time. In the special edition, the introduction of the Sulaco was almost identical to when we first saw the Nostromo in the original film. First you see the ship's mighty exterior. Then we see a few shots of the empty internals of the ship, and finally we're taken to the hypersleep tubes, where the ship's precious cargo of humanity is stowed away.

Does anyone else here have the ALIEN Quadrilogy, which has both theatrical and special edition versions of all four movies? This is one of my alltime favorite box sets.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

As I noted elsewhere, Ridley Scott's original is a classic gothic horror tale and the best on my list. ALIENS is a close second, but also an entirely different type of tale.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 09-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Aliens hands down.

You can't beat space marines stomping the guts outta every living thing.

Nothing can beat the second movie. Ever.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Alien 3.

I'm usually alone when it comes to defending movies. I liked Waterworld, loved all three Matrix movies, and thought Terminator 3 was the best of the series. So... anyway...

Alien 3. The special edition (although, the birthing scene in the special edition kind of screws with the canon a bit). The dialogue and acting was great. The scenery was Giger all the way, not just the alien, but the pipes as well. The special effects... okay I'm weird, but yes, the puppetry looked rather shakey, but as fake as it was, for some reason it added to the creepiness. It was weird.

Really, I'm not sure why people hated this movie. I think the complaint I heard the most seems extremely superficial (there's only one alien) and I refuse to believe that that is the only reason why people should hate this movie.

My one complaint is that the dialogue (while it was good) was too quiet in many places.

I will agree with most however: Alien Resurrection was bad. But it's not like they just didn't care about the story. I think they actually tried to do something there. They failed. But I think once you get passed the ending, which was... just way too weird, it basically had a really good start. And then that giant naked molerat comes out at the end I was like, "Oh God, that's.... that's... I don't know..." And what was its obsession with the grotesque mutilation of human heads?

And, martok, I have the Alien quadrilogy. I love the featurettes, they take a more honest approach to the behind the scenes thing (their opinion of Cameron, the reactions both good and bad to films, Ripley saying the idea of "AvP" is aweful, etc.)
Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Alien 3.

I'm usually alone when it comes to defending movies. I liked Waterworld, loved all three Matrix movies, and thought Terminator 3 was the best of the series. So... anyway...

Alien 3. The special edition (although, the birthing scene in the special edition kind of screws with the canon a bit). The dialogue and acting was great. The scenery was Giger all the way, not just the alien, but the pipes as well. The special effects... okay I'm weird, but yes, the puppetry looked rather shakey, but as fake as it was, for some reason it added to the creepiness. It was weird.

Really, I'm not sure why people hated this movie. I think the complaint I heard the most seems extremely superficial (there's only one alien) and I refuse to believe that that is the only reason why people should hate this movie.

My one complaint is that the dialogue (while it was good) was too quiet in many places.

I will agree with most however: Alien Resurrection was bad. But it's not like they just didn't care about the story. I think they actually tried to do something there. They failed. But I think once you get passed the ending, which was... just way too weird, it basically had a really good start. And then that giant naked molerat comes out at the end I was like, "Oh God, that's.... that's... I don't know..." And what was its obsession with the grotesque mutilation of human heads?

And, martok, I have the Alien quadrilogy. I love the featurettes, they take a more honest approach to the behind the scenes thing (their opinion of Cameron, the reactions both good and bad to films, Ripley saying the idea of "AvP" is aweful, etc.)
My only complaints with Alien 3 are also sound related....it was both too loud and too soft...I was pained by the loud parts and couldn't hear the soft parts. And....well..it got a bit hard to keep the bald English men apart....the crappy sound made that more difficult.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Vice Admiral

I'm with Martok. I know the 1st movie was the better movie, but I liked the 2nd one better.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Does anyone else here have the ALIEN Quadrilogy, which has both theatrical and special edition versions of all four movies? This is one of my alltime favorite box sets.
I really want to get it! I'm not wild about the package design, but I still would love to get it!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Hi, Miguelda.

Personally, I wouldn't say that I hated Alien 3....but on the first viewing, I found it rather underwhelming. I think the way the alien was done sometimes in the movie (as a cgi or physical puppet) kinda cheaped it for me. (Even more so in Alien Resurrection.)

I think a lot of what people complained about with A3 was that it tried too hard to be like the first movie, and they felt it failed on all levels.

Personally, I thought the story and the dialogue were intelligently written...especially the more intimate scenes with Ripley and Dr. Clemens. I also did like a lot of the characters, despite their criminal pasts. There was some good humor in this movie.

It was nice to see the return of the pulse rifle, even though they screwed with the sound effects for it. (Instead of the high pitched bleat from the second movie, it sounded more like an assault rifle from Total Recall.) It was also nice to see another Sulaco-like Marine frigate, but it was not a Marine ship...it was corporate.

I also enjoyed the special edition version of this movie....in many ways it altered the narrative and almost gave us a completely different film. (I agree though that the birthing sequence in this version was a little less than average.)

Alien Resurrection really had a good start.... but to me, it just seemed to get weird by the end of the movie. In fact, that's the way the Alien movies seemed to go (IMHO) after the second movie. The third and fourth movies just got really weird. Joss (Buffy, Firefly/Serenity) Whedon wrote the fourth film, and apparently there were some creative differences between himself and the producers, and the movie turned out something different than he planned apparently. (The same was said of the movie of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.) Alien Resurrection's big problem was that it tried to be a combination of the original and Aliens....and again, I think it failed on too many levels.

The ship designs were nice, as were the sets. Good Lord, the size of the Auriga was frighteningly large....I mean, it was easily the size of the Nostromo (with the refinery attached) if not larger.

Again, the characters were the best part of this movie. Especially the crew of the Betty, which seemed to be prototypical for another Joss Whedon crew that would appear years later....the crew of Serenity in Firefly.

Elgyn shaped up into Captain Reynolds. Call, the android would probably best be the progenitor for Kaylee. Johner was definitely the precursor for Jayne. Even the cargo bay of the Betty herself seemed to be prototypical for the cargo bay of Serenity.

For me, all the Alien movies are good. It's just that the first two are outstanding...and the last two kinda miss the mark, but are still fun to watch.

Quark, the Alien Quadrilogy is not only outfitted with two versions of each movie, but has HOURS of special features for each film. There's even excerpts from the original script of Alien, when it was written as an all-male crew. If you can find it, snatch it up with extreme prejudice. The first disc of each film has both versions of their respective movies, and the second disc for each has the film's special features.

Hi, jerhanner!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Aliens hands down.

You can't beat space marines stomping the guts outta every living thing.

Nothing can beat the second movie. Ever.
What a funny sig line tcat!!