The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > The Most Thoughtful Trek Quotes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Midshipman

Default The Most Thoughtful Trek Quotes

Inspired by the Movie Quotes threat, I present to you to the Thoughtful Quotes thread. From any series or movie, post what you believe are the most intelligent and important quotes of Trek and mention why. Quotes like "KHAAAN!" are not considered thoughtful, even though they are great.

From The Drumhead, Picard speaking about free speech:
Quote:
" ' With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on we’re all damaged."
AND

From All Good Things... Q summarized Star Trek in this quote. No one before or after, I feel, has put into words succinctly what the writers/Q did in the last moments of the greatest episode of the greatest series.
Quote:
"For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. That is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknown possibilities... of existence."
Old 02-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Ensign

Location: Karl-Marx-Stadt, Saxony, Germany, Europe, Earth, Sol-Sector, Alpha-Quadrant, Milky Way

Quote:
It's .... green.
Just kidding.

No seriously, I liked what Michael Eddington said in "For the Cause"
Quote:
"I know you. I was like you once, but then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves paradise. Everyone should want to be in the Federation. Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day they can take their "rightful place" on the Federation Council. You know In some ways you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious. You assimilate people and they don't even know it."
There is a lot of truth in it. And it's also true for the real world where every government believes that its own form of government etc. is the best one + wants to "convince" others to change there form of government.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deck View Post
Inspired by the Movie Quotes threat, I present to you to the Thoughtful Quotes thread. From any series or movie, post what you believe are the most intelligent and important quotes of Trek and mention why. Quotes like "KHAAAN!" are not considered thoughtful, even though they are great.

From The Drumhead, Picard speaking about free speech:

AND

From All Good Things... Q summarized Star Trek in this quote. No one before or after, I feel, has put into words succinctly what the writers/Q did in the last moments of the greatest episode of the greatest series.
I enjoy the second one the most... But I can't really think of any of these kinds of quotes myself...
Old 02-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

"Procreation does not require changing how you smell, or writing bad poetry or sacrificing various plants to serve as tokens of affection." -- Odo (The Forsaken)

I love that quote!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Ensign

"Impossible is a word humans use far too often." - Seven.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Ensign

Picard - "you are not god"

Q- "blasphamy!! your lucky i dont smite you or cast you out or something"

As you might have guessed i like some humour in my trek

"Once you're inside , you will never want to leave"
Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 AM
Ensign

Spock, the Cage - "The women!!!"
Old 02-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I know it's probably one of the most famous ones and not really original but I still love it: "The need of the many outweigh the need of the few."

While it can be viewed as being purely logical, I think it also speaks of things such as sacrifice, friendship or even love. And did I mention I get emotional every.single.time. I see that scene from TWOK?

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 02-03-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Ensign

"So, I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all...I think I can live with it. And if I had it to do all over again, I would." Ben Sisko

This quote shows what depths war can bring us to, and how hard we must fight to bring ourselves back from it.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiskoNX01 View Post
"So, I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all...I think I can live with it. And if I had it to do all over again, I would." Ben Sisko

This quote shows what depths war can bring us to, and how hard we must fight to bring ourselves back from it.

This is similar too to a quote from The Untouchables, where Elliot Ness tells a judge, "I have foresworn myself. I have broken every law I have sworn to uphold. I have become what I beheld and I am content that I have done right."