The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > star trek vs terminator 4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Vice Admiral

Default star trek vs terminator 4

I dont know if this is an old thread,if it is please forgive.
I have seen the teaser of T4,and i was not impressed,as a matter of fact i believe it wll be worst than T3,an other bomb ala waterworld,(ring a bell?)
Do YOU think trek is in any box office trouble
Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Federation Councillor

Impossible to judge, but I intend to go and see both so that's as much as I can say.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Captain

I really don't know. While Terminator 3 wasn't the blockbuster Terminator 2 was, I think Terminator 2 had a few "extra" things going for it that T3 didn't. The stories were equally good for both. But T2 featured a major 'wow' factor via its effects vis a vis the T-1000. By the time T3 rolled around, those effects were no longer the 'Oh my God I gotta go see that!' spectacle they were in 1991.

Now I realize I've railed about continuity, but the Terminator franchise has had 'altered continuity' as a central theme from the beginning. Changing the timeline is the mission of the hero and villain alike in each film and now in the television series, so discrepancies from one film to the next are not only forgivable but expected. Let me lay it out for you as I see it with regard to the Terminators themselves:

The Terminator: an 800 series Terminator comes back to kill Sarah Connor. Kyle Reese comes back to protect her. Sarah and Kyle are intimate, conceiving John Connor. Skynet has now inadvertently created its own enemy by trying to kill him. Sarah destroys the Terminator in a Cyberdyne factory. The parts are then recovered by Cyberdyne.

Terminator 2: The T-1000 is sent back to kill John Connor. An 800 Series Terminator is sent back to protect him. How did Skynet's "most advanced" model go from a T-800 to a T-1000 when Skynet supposedly sent them both back at or near the same time? Easy. Cyberdyne's retroengineering of the T-800 Connor destroyed in its factory accelerated the development of Skynet and Terminators, pushing its technology further, faster, and resulting in it being more advanced at the time of its destruction in the new timeline.

Terminator 3: A T-X is sent back to kill John's top officers, with John being a "non-priority" target, as Skynet was realizing that it was becoming increasingly fruitless to try to kill John himself. An 850 Series Terminator is sent back to protect John. The T-850 seems noticeably less powerful than the T-800s we've seen before, and even Skynet's "most advanced" model is completely new, again. Why? Again, simple: At the end of T-2, John and Sarah Connor destroyed not only Cyberdyne's research that would lead to the development of Skynet, but both the T-1000 and T-800 as well, creating a timeline in which Skynet's development was delayed, then resumed but on a software-based bath rather than a hardware-based path.

Each of the films takes place in an altered timeline from the last, resulting in a slightly different Skynet and slightly different Terminator technology.

With regard to the television series -- yes, it would be interesting to have Arnie show up in it. But the fact is that, as Brent Spiner noted about playing Data 20 years after the character was created, he's just getting too old to believably play an un-aging machine anymore. Now a more entertaining question (even if it has been done to death) is whether or not Data could take an 800 Series Terminator in a hand-to-hand fight.

But to the actual question of the thread: Yes, I think Trek has something to worry about. Both are science fiction, of course, but the added 'action film' elements of the Terminator films are naturally a wider draw for audiences -- and the Terminator franchise doesn't have the 'nerd' stigma Star Trek does.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Vice Admiral

Very interesting answer saint,thank u very much.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

If I understand the question correctly: TREK opens May 9, T4 opens May 22... there should be little if any conflict in drawing audience shares. I wouldn't worry about it.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Vice Admiral

you ve got a point mission---thank you
Old 09-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

T4 will make more money. Quote me on that. I'm looking forward to Trek more, but I'm not an objective moviegoer...
Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm curious on what evidence you're basing your prediction? We seem to know so little about both films at this point. I'd enjoy hearing more.

Also, I'm curious how you mean "make more money" -- total box office receipts or profitability over cost?

Ex: T3 only made $150 million domestically... but it cost $200 million to produce. In terms of US box office, it didn't even make back its own cost. It was only with international grosses that it saw much of a profit (total worldwide gross ~ $433 mil). Still, that's only 2.17 ratio of cost/gross income... hardly a great 'moneymaker' in perspective.

T4's budget is also estimated at $200 million, which means its profit-making curve is steeper than TREK's by 25%.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
If I understand the question correctly: TREK opens May 9, T4 opens May 22... there should be little if any conflict in drawing audience shares. I wouldn't worry about it.
Indeed, I plan to see both, and I hope both, do well.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Lieutenant Commander

i cant wait for t4 to come out and star trek