The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > If you care about star trek you should read this
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Midshipman

Default If you care about star trek you should read this

These are the three things that Star Trek XI can accomplish.

1. The movie will not be good and will be a very bitter ending to all of star trek. Most likely resulting in no new movies or series.

2. The movie will be good and although chances are that no new movies or series will be made, it will create an ending that we can all be proud of and not like the nemesis one, not that it was terrible but I think that 42 years of star trek deserved a better ending. ( yea I know that nemesis was only the ending to next gen. but when I think of nemesis I think of the last voyage of all star trek) also when I say ending I mean beginning, what I mean by that is, nemesis was not an END to next gen at all and in fact was a beginning of a new chapter of the enterprise E, For DS9s last episode although some might argue that it was a new beginning to DS9 I say it was more of an ending ( but don't get me wrong it was a great ending).

3. This new movie will be by far the best star trek movie ever made and will be the best thing that ever happened to star trek, By creating a new life for star trek and revitalizing it in such a way that we wont ever have to worry about reaching that 50 year mark. Because we will get a new series and it will be the best one yet because star trek will have been reborn.

I hope for number 3 let me in on your thoughts.

"J.J. Abrams the past and future of Star Trek is riding on your shoulders"

"God Speed John Glenn"
Old 09-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

there is no way it will suck becus the writing staff is too good and Shat's appearance will create massive hysteria and mega-hype
Old 09-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Lieutenant

Right - now back into the real world where Shatner is 99.999999999999999999999% likely to not be in the movie.

I think it'll be good, not great. The canonites will be out in full force and WILL find something to denounce. The 11 Shatner fans (1 headed off on a rocket to find James T Kirk in the Nexus (or something like that)) will be mad when it turns out he wasn't in the movie after all.

Outside of that...it'll be received positively, and a series will begin, probably in 2012, depicting the final 2 years of Kirk's original 5 year mission, and then maybe the 5 year mission post-ST1.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Right - now back into the real world where Shatner is 99.999999999999999999999% likely to not be in the movie.
u logic is flawed
Old 09-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Vice Admiral

I choose the curtain No3
Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Federation Councillor

I think people should try not to overate the film at this stage. There's some Phantom Menace style hype starting to develop here and we all know how that turned out back in 1999! I'm hoping for a good solid two hours of entertainment that sets up future story potential, that has respect (but not necessarily slavish devotion) to the source material. So I would aim for 2, with optimism that elements of 3 would come through.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:45 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
u logic is flawed
Actually, his logic is sound. If Shatner were going to appear in this film at all, it would be precisely for the purposes of marketing hype. That marketing hype has failed to appear. Since the primary purpose Shatner's appearance would serve on this project is not being capitalized on, it either means that the studio is uninterested in making money or that Shatner will not be featured on this project.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 09-14-2008, 03:46 AM
Captain

While optimism leads me to hope for .2, the cynic in me sees a result somewhere between .1 and .2, leaning more heavily toward .1
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 09-14-2008, 04:10 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Actually, his logic is sound. If Shatner were going to appear in this film at all, it would be precisely for the purposes of marketing hype. That marketing hype has failed to appear. Since the primary purpose Shatner's appearance would serve on this project is not being capitalized on, it either means that the studio is uninterested in making money or that Shatner will not be featured on this project.
ur forgetting that the massive hype of Shat could have interfered with production and increased costs
Old 09-14-2008, 04:13 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
ur forgetting that the massive hype of Shat could have interfered with production and increased costs
How would marketing buzz interfere with production? I can see the increased costs of paying Shatner to be in the film, but that's likely one reason (possibly among many) why he wouldn't be in the film, not a reason for them to hire him and then not earn back that investment by capitalizing on his presence.