The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Are any of you guys Psychic?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

It is weird for me, too... as a scientist, I refuse to accept spiritual stuff. My personal theory is that it is all an illusion of our brains. If the accidents/deaths/whatever hadn't occured, we wouldn't have remembered our strange feelings. Or we have such feelings all the time and only remember them when something happens.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 09-13-2008, 04:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I'm a student of biology (neuroscience, physiology, zoology) and don't believe in such things. I have no explanation for that. But it happened.
To quote the Bard, there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Ensign

I personally feel that we are more intune with magnetic fields in the brain than we allow ourselves to accept.

My family is good for stirring up these remaining magnetic resonnences ((aka ghosts)) I dream the future on occasion, and I have answered questions that have not been asked, but the person was thinking. And we are not talking something that would be normal, like we are talking about colors, and I said my fave color is blue...meaning it was acomplete change in topic, and I answered the question from the topic change
"I AM JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK!"- STAR TREK XI
" I LOVE THIS SHIP!" Scotty- STAR TREK XI
Old 09-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

I have thought other people's thoughts as they think them, and also (in my sleep) experience flash-forwards - an image of a future occurrence. Not often, but occasionally.

I am a scientifically minded person, so it is vexing...

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Federation Councillor

I find it really interesting, though I've never had any kind of experiences so I don't know where I stand on the scale of beleiving it. But there are some really interesting case studies and personal experiences I've read about that make me think there is something in it.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Commander

I have always admired Sylvia Browns , John Edwards, Edgar Cayce's psychic abilities. I have read all of thier books. It always gives me hope for the Afterlife on the other side.. All of these psychics have different interpretations of the Hall of Records and ect on the other side. Abilities for me , I have always felt other presences around me. Whether its my spirit guide or one of my past loved ones.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Vice Admiral

When I was 6, I was sitting at the kitchen table when the phone rang. I looked at my Mom and said, "That's Gil and his house burned down." And guess what? I was right.

I can also sense speed traps on the highway. I'll be zipping along and my foot will just go over and hit the brakes. Not soon after, there's Mr/Ms State Trooper.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Lieutenant Commander

While not really premenitions, but when I have deja vue, I think I had dreamped this experience months even years before but forgot. Its really weird.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
It is weird for me, too... as a scientist, I refuse to accept spiritual stuff. My personal theory is that it is all an illusion of our brains. If the accidents/deaths/whatever hadn't occured, we wouldn't have remembered our strange feelings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post

I am a scientifically minded person, so it is vexing...

This is a common trait amongst people of science because we are too ruled by our visual senses. As scientists, we are trained to believe what we can see and reproduce in the laboratory. Maybe it's time we took a lesson from Yoda and come to realize that we can be deceived by our standard senses. Also, as scientists we should realize that nothing is impossible, only improbable.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
This is a common trait amongst people of science because we are too ruled by our visual senses. As scientists, we are trained to believe what we can see and reproduce in the laboratory. Maybe it's time we took a lesson from Yoda and come to realize that we can be deceived by our standard senses. Also, as scientists we should realize that nothing is impossible, only improbable.
I never said that I do not believe what my experiences have told me. I merely enjoy being vexed about it as it is a tricky thing to think about. Mystery is fun sometimes.

And with an Infinite Improbability Generator, everything is not only possible - but inevitable!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)