The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why is it important for the character of Spock to be only half Vulcan?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Commander

Default Why is it important for the character of Spock to be only half Vulcan?

When the character was created, did they make him half vulcan and half human for any particular reason, or did they just make him half human so we as humans would somehow not lose touch with the character. Would making him a complete vulcan somehow render him too cold and alien for us to identify with? Or did they do it to perhaps make him a character torn between two worlds and two peoples who constantly struggles with both identities and the upside and downside of both? Or was it just to enable some really freaky plot lines?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
... Or did they do it to perhaps make him a character torn between two worlds and two peoples who constantly struggles with both identities and the upside and downside of both...?

That one, IMHO.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Ensign

All characters need conflict - that was simply Spock's.

Need to understand the times TOS was made Roddenberry was insightful in some regards - making Spock a halfbreed got a chance to explore those issues in America - though they rarely did in the show - but the opportunity was there.

Elitist Vulcans - irrational humans... If Spock was pure Vulcan - he would not be so antagonistic to McCoy I'm sure
Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindari View Post
If Spock was pure Vulcan - he would not be so antagonistic to McCoy I'm sure
Good point. Spock had to put down what he himself was trying to fight against in order to justify his position. It was part of his insecurity, just as it is part of all of our own insecurities.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Ensign

I always liked to think it was the Shakespearian conflict thing but I'm more inclined to believe it was an explaination for the human-like aging process Mr. Nimoy couldn't avoid.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

As others have said, that internal conflict made for great drama...but I suspect that there was something more socially important in the decision(which was what prompted NBC to airbrush Spock's ears and eyebrows in the promo pictures)....Star Trek was on at a time when bi-racial marriages were illegal in many states, Spock was a statement that "intermixing" was okay.

Think about it....the show got huge flack for the first Black/White kiss....but the second in command of the ship was a Vulcan/Human....Spock's presence said that prejudice against mixed race relationships was wrong.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Midshipman

Post My views on Spock.

I always liked Spocks character. Why you ask yourself? Spock was unique in many ways. However the way his charater was written made him who he was. The internal conflict that he had with his human and Vulcan side was priceless. Also Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry always pushed the boundaries as far the times allowed. I think if it wasn't for the human side of Spock I don't think his character would have came across just right. Look at the relationship he had with Dr. McCoy and the way they always went ofter each other. If Spock didn't have his human side to understand McCoy and his antics calling him an "unhuman green blooded vulcan" all those years could have lead to a hostile relationship at best. It's always in our human nature to ask why was something the way it was just keep it the way it is. Hopefully my thoughts are welcomed here. Just my way of thinking of it.....
Old 09-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Captain

You know, if I were to take it upon myself to give a lecture on characterization for fiction, Spock would be my benchmark for demonstrating the unbelievably important element of internal conflict.

Now as a self-taught logician myself, I often have to laugh when Spock starts a sentence with "Logic dictates..." and then goes on to say something patently illogical. Still, as written, Spock is not only a foil for McCoy but for himself in many, many instances, which often makes him the easiest character of the Big Three to sympathize with.

Whereas we'd all like to be Kirk, and fear we may be more like McCoy, we the audience watching these events try to puzzle them out (on first viewing, which for many people has been a long, LONG time ago) and in the process of trying to understand them, our natural instincts tend toward caution, which puts us squarely in the same corner as Spock, although we lack his (fictional) expertise. So at the same time we are cautious with him, we look to him to figure out the answer that we, as not-Science-Officers, aren't privy to.

At the same time, however, there's an element of us in him, which strengthens the immediacy and depth of our identification with him. Like him, we prefer to think things through -- but more primitive inclinations lie just beneath the surface of our intentions. In that sense, Spock isn't alien at all -- he's the struggle between mankind's aspirations and its origins. Half angel, half ape, we reach for the stars even as our feet sink into the muck of the jungle floor.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
As others have said, that internal conflict made for great drama...but I suspect that there was something more socially important in the decision(which was what prompted NBC to airbrush Spock's ears and eyebrows in the promo pictures)....Star Trek was on at a time when bi-racial marriages were illegal in many states, Spock was a statement that "intermixing" was okay.

Think about it....the show got huge flack for the first Black/White kiss....but the second in command of the ship was a Vulcan/Human....Spock's presence said that prejudice against mixed race relationships was wrong.

A great summary Eliza~!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post

The "intermixing" thing is probably pretty close. I think I read somewhere that GR had been "involved" with Nichelle Nichols before he met MBR. In other areas as well, Gene held pretty liberal views for the time. It probably drove the network brass insane.