The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Enterprise
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Fair enough...

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 09-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Lieutenant

TOS was a Kirk, Spock, McCoy series. If JJ is reinventing the franchise starting with Kirk, I don't see any issues if they start the movie introducing us the characters and Kirk taking over from Pike.

In non-canon sources, transfer of command is usually a big deal. We actually see a ceremony in TNG's Chain of Command. Maybe in a speech by Pike or Kirk, April can be mentioned to finally give him a canonical presence. In non-canon sources, April was fleet commander at this time. Maybe a scene where he is overseeing the transfer of command ceremonies.

Those are beautiful images of the E. I wouldn't mind seeing them on the large or small screen.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Agreed on the low res for a film, but like the design direction. Maybe??? I hope this is what we get.
What exactly does "low res for a film" mean?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
At least it isn't a damn Christmas tree like Koerner's version. <grumble, grumble assorted grumpy old man noises>
I'm somewhat of a newbee. Can someone show what Koerner's version is? It might be the version I liked, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Lieutenant

Nevermind. I found it and I have to admit I like Gabe's version. The lower section around the dish antenna is the only part of the design that seems a little far off of the original, but I still like it very much. I would love to see this on the big screen. You never know, JJ may depart even more from the original than this, which seems fairly conservative when you think about other movies based on older series or films.

I love Christmas. too!!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Captain

To me it looks like the Enterprise-E from the TNG films, shrunk down. I'm not sorry to say it, but "The Enterprise As A Mayan Shrunken Head Decoration" hasn't thrilled me for a second since I first saw it.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 09-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Agreed on the low res for a film, but like the design direction. Maybe??? I hope this is what we get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
A bit low-res for feature film, but the design itself wouldn't be bad.
If you would, please explain to me (the artist BTW), in your own opinion, just why you think my TOS.5 E is too "low rez" for film?

For the record, I completely disagree, but also respect other's views in and of themselves.

And I for one like Gabe's E, but agree, I would not care for it (or its like, as in the teaser) becoming on-screen canon, as it's a bit too drastic of a re-imagining for my tastes (thus the creation of my own version).

Gabe's is nice, very nice, but, for me, it loses the elegant beauty of TOS E IMO. It's looks like a dirty hard-edged battleship IMO. All the re-imaginings of late, while very nice examples of model-building and painting, look way too dirty (edgy) and/or hard-edge to be the graceful TOS E to me. While looking "space-tuff," being so dark and war-like, they actually come off as tarnishing her image of grace and beauty, IMO.

I still like seeing them though, and appreciate them for what they are, and the effort it took to create them, as I know full well the work it takes to do so.

deg

http://deg3D.biz
Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Captain

To me it's like 'reimagining' a 17th century Spanish galleon by adding anti-aircraft guns and radar-absorbing hull plating to it, then looking from a photo of that to a photo of a modern warship.

With all the glowing grilles and spotlights tacked on, Koerner's Enterprise looks no different from a 24th century ship, but we're being told, "It looks like a hundred years older than the Enterprise-E!" Horse sh*t it does, it looks like it was commissioned the same damn year. This monstrosity might've been born yesterday, but I wasn't, and I'm offended that they think they can play me for a sucker like that.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Um..... the image shown here on the board was low-res compared to what would appear in a feature film. I liked it, just hard to tell how that design would look on a big screen... since an internet browser is a very small screen.

What looks good on my monitor might look 'flatter' or less detailed on a 40-foot high movie screen.

Hope that clarifies things for all confused.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!

Last edited by MissionTrek08 : 09-09-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Essex View Post
From non-canon and canon sources for NCC-1701 as we've seen her on screen.

non-canon - April was captain of the Enterprise for 10 years. (TAS)
canon - Pike was 11 years. (The Menagerie)
canon - Kirk was 5 years. (Opening lines to TOS)
canon - Enterprise was refitted which took 2.5 years with Decker as it's captain. (TMP)
non-canon - Kirk was captain for another 10 years. (The Lost Years series of books and comics)
non-canon - I can't recall from where (maybe the comics) but I believe Spock was captain for about 2 years while teaching at the academy and Kirk was back at Starfleet command.

That's 40.5 years.

If you watch TWOK, Admiral Morrow say's, The Enterprise is 40 years old (I always assumed he just rounded down). Which, if you follow the above timeline, it would be.

If that were true.
I suggest you brush up on your timeline and math.

The refit in The Motoin Picture was 18 months. Since there are 12 months in a year even in the Star Trek universe that is 1.5 years not 2.5.
Go here http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/startrek01.html or watch the movie.

In The Search for Spock and NOT The Wraith of Kahn Kirk spoke with Admiral Morrow and Morrow says the Enterprise is 20 years old and not 30.
Go here http://www.geocities.com/ussmunchkin7/Star_Trek_III.htm or watch the movie.