The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Did DS9 impact your life? Inspire you in any way?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Ensign

Post The undiscovered country

It’s nice to learn that a young woman had been impact by a TV series like DS9. Even tough I was too old to be impact by Star Trek DS9, TOS was fundamental in my life. I grew up in a poor ward in Puerto Rico where my only view of the world and the future was trough TOS (dubbed in Spanish). In that small world nobody understands me, or my passion for a TV program that was so strange and irrelevant to that community. Nevertheless, that series inspired me and in some way directed me to walk to a brave new world, college, law school and the undiscovered country. Now, with a 21 years old son and a 16 years old daughter that share my passion for the Star Trek Universe, I am profoundly grateful to Gene Rodenberry’s view of the future that enlighten the life of a poor boy in a small ward in Puerto Rico.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant-7 View Post
It’s nice to learn that a young woman had been impact by a TV series like DS9. Even tough I was too old to be impact by Star Trek DS9, TOS was fundamental in my life. I grew up in a poor ward in Puerto Rico where my only view of the world and the future was trough TOS (dubbed in Spanish). In that small world nobody understands me, or my passion for a TV program that was so strange and irrelevant to that community. Nevertheless, that series inspired me and in some way directed me to walk to a brave new world, college, law school and the undiscovered country. Now, with a 21 years old son and a 16 years old daughter that share my passion for the Star Trek Universe, I am profoundly grateful to Gene Rodenberry’s view of the future that enlighten the life of a poor boy in a small ward in Puerto Rico.
Wow, that is so good to hear. To know that Roddenberry had a hand
in your path of life. Thank you for sharing your story as well, with us.
Also good to know you've passed on the good series to your children.

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Commander

Pretty cool you guys!

My childhood was very hard. TNG was my great comforter. I was a first generation born Chinese-American growing up in a white community, south Orange County. Its more diverse now but back in the 80s this place had only farmland and military bases. I was learning Chinese and English at the same time. There was a small Chinese population, I attended a chinese school. But I just couldn't connect with anyone. I had a tough time learning. My grades were poor.... I was a small, shy girl, physically and verbally abused by a selfish, short sighted, impatient father. Children can be mean and cold to the quiet ones. No one wants to hang out with a target of ridicule. I was always scared and wasn't into what all the other girls were into. I didn't flirt, i didn't back stab. I didn't have the American aggressiveness. I was doomed to be a loner. Drawing was the only thing that got me any positive attention. So drawing and TNG became my escape. Captain Picard was the ideal paternal figure and Dr. Crusher the mommy with the answers and Wesley/Data a brother to grow up together with. Uncle and auntie Geordi, Troi, Riker etc. I related very much to the bitterness of Ensign Ro.

Junior high was difficult too and DS9 and VOY carried me through high school and into College. Kira shared the torch of bitter feelings. Captain Janeway was the beginning of a transition for me... bold, confident, capable and respected by her crew. I got into USC. I love Belanna because she was aloner too but instead of letting people walk over her, like what people did to me, she broke their noses.

College was the chance to leave the stuffy little town and live in the bigger more open minded world. Here I found real lifelong friends, fellow artists and incredible experiences. Enterprise came and went when I was working on my second degree and found the means to live on my own, in my own way, chasing my dreams. I was too busy in my studies to really follow Enterprise. I want to pay homage to what help raised me by working in TV and film.

http://www.dianahuang.com

Last edited by Ditroi : 02-09-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
Pretty cool you guys! For me it was TNG, Captain Picard and Dr. Crusher that raised me... all the way through to Junior high. My childhood was very hard. I was a first generation born Chinese-American growing up in a white community, south Orange County. Its more diverse now but back in the 80s this place had only farmland and military bases. I was learning Chinese and English at the same time. There was a small Chinese population, I attended a chinese school. But I just couldn't connect with anyone. I had a tough time learning. My grades were poor.... I was a shy quiet girl, physically and verbally abused by a selfish, short sighted, impatient father. Children can be mean and cold to the quiet ones. No one wants to hang out with a target of ridicule. I was always scared and wasn't into what all the other girls were into. I didn't have the typical american lifestyle. I was doomed to be a loner. Drawing was the only thing that got me any positive attention. So drawing and TNG became my escape and Captain Picard was the more ideal paternal figure and Dr. Crusher mommy and Wesley a brother to grow up together with. Junior high was difficult too and DS9 carried me through high school. College was the chance to leave the stuffy town and live in the bigger more open minded L.A. Here I found real lifelong friends and fellow artists, and a means to live on my own, in my own way, chasing my dreams and paying homage to the ones that helped raise me.
That truly is a touching story...I especially admire the fact that you looked
to TNG characters as your family, your mentors...What I also find very
interesting about us fans, is how much we look to art for our comfort. I mean,
yea, I think the majority of us were outcasts or just, oddballs, we weren't
exactly the popular kids, and yet, most of us were drawn to some form of
art, whether it be graphic digital art, pencil, painting, writing...etc.
Also, the fact that most of you have gone on to college to advance your
knowledge...I, unfortunately, did not go that far. Sadly, I will probably be
stuck in retail world for the rest of my life, which I don't find a bad thing,
but others around me do. I enjoy what I've become, and especially enjoy
the many new people I meet because of the many Trekkie friends I've made
while working at Target.

Thank you, Ditroi, for sharing with us, a most inspirational story as well.

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Commander

Thanks Eris! Sorry, I tend to edit after a posting... I'm a perfectionist. This forum is so great. It a chance for all of us to just let it out. Up until this forum went up I had no real outlet, I didn't have the time. Thinking and talking about Star Trek has made me dig and think back to my childhood, something I've kept locked away. During my college years I started to drift away from the show as I headed into the animation industry. It was near the end of my second degree that I started getting back into Star Trek with the fresh eyes of my newbie roommates. Now that I'm done with school, I have a lot more time to get back into this world. It feels good, I really missed this.

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 02-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Lieutenant

I also drifted away a about 4 years ago, from message boards and watching
star trek altogether, thanks to a former boyfriend who hated Trek, and
tried changing that about me. I can't believe I let him talk me into selling
all 7 seasons of TNG I had on dvd on ebay!
So I was way thankful when I met my current boyfriend three years ago,
who is an avid DS9 and Babylon 5 fan, that introduced me to new perspectives
of DS9 and Babylon 5.
You're right, this feels way good, and I hope I never drift away from the online
friends I've made the past few years through various message boards...My cyber
social life

~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Ensign

I've always used TV, Movies and actors as a defense mechanism. When I was 5 I went to the movies for the first time and saw "The Lion King". That came out here in October 1994. In December 1994 my 4 year old sister was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia and given a week to live. I can say from then on family life was more than hard for me. I couldn't understand why suddenly she could do no wrong but if I stepped out of line I was yelled at. The stress on my parents was probably more than I could understand, but it was still hard.

This tended to lead to me acting out at school and I started lying compulsively, which didn't help things. Even now, even though I'm 18, I'm seen as the liar of the family. I started seeing a psychiatrist, which, even as a kid, I thought was a grave insult. I wasn't insane, I was SAD and ANGRY. My parents said a lot of things that I haven't forgotten, but they probably have. I hated being a part of that family, had no friends and was routinely acting out and throwing tantrums.
I remember, when I was 6, dramatically telling my parents to bring me a knife so I could kill myself. They must have been really sick of my melodrama, because they did bring one. I remember sitting on the floor of my room in the doorway and sobbing so hard I couldn't see.
The ONE thing that made me happy was watching that movie. A story in which a young person gets taken away from their family, and gets to escape responsibility. Comes back and takes down the badguy and becomes KING. I watched it every week, had the soundtrack and toys and magazines and books and clothes. Obsessed. I can still recite the entire film from memory.

It's become a pattern for me. The Lion King could only keep me buoyant for so long. I fell in love with Star Wars, Star Trek, Moulin Rouge!, Ewan McGregor and more and more and more. Incidentally, my little sister is fine. She's officially reached the "all clear" stage. She turns 17 in May.

I continue to LOVE with all my heart every single one of the shows, movies and actors that I obsess over. My obsession doesn't diminish as I add more.

High School and Star TrekS9 coincided. Which was lucky. High School was hard, which it is for everyone, I think.

It's wonderful being able to watch these characters grow. You get to learn from it, as well as be entertained by it. I have a lot of problems getting along with people. I have had a number of friends attempting to imitate me, which I can't stand. Individuality and personality matter a lot to me in a friendship. I've been asked out a number of times, and it's taught me that I have no desire for romance just yet. I'd like it to be a natural occurance, and not forced, like it is for most teenagers. I can honestly say I care more about Star Trek, the characters, actors and ideals, than I do about any person I know personally.

Star Trek has been an amazing influence in my life. It's essentially about hope and friendship and working together, and it helped me decide what I wanted to do with my life. Work in TV/Movies. I want to help create the things that become so important to people like me.

Reading back, yes, I know I'm pretty weird. Socially inept and all that. I do have friends, but not close ones. All I can say is, it's who I am. And I kind of like it that way.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Lieutenant

Mentalboy, in a way, because of your last line, I am reminded of Garak.
It's really good to know that many of us had the chance to grow with
the wonders of Trek.

~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Commander

Sometimes when the world seems too confusing and complicated, it is good to be able to find a distraction from life.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalBoy View Post
Reading back, yes, I know I'm pretty weird. Socially inept and all that. I do have friends, but not close ones. All I can say is, it's who I am. And I kind of like it that way.
(Excuse double posting)

Yeah me too.

Obsessions are something to make us happy. And if they do, then what is "society" to deny it?