The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Why I think Aliens sucked compared to Alien
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Rear Admiral

Default Why I think Aliens sucked compared to Alien

I recently saw three of the Alien films (I plan to see Alien: Resurrection sometime soon) and to be honest, I really didn't like Aliens. It was my least favourite out of the three films. To me, what made the first film so great, was the fact that you barely see the Alien. It made it mysterious and all the more freaky. In addition to that, there wasn't all that much dialogue and the characters were great! I thought the space ship Nostromo was great, and the interior was just freaky. You have the feeling that anything could happen at any moment. Everything was totally new.

However, the second film I thought just had too much action and not enough surprises. I mean, you see a group of Aliens this time and they are so out in the open there is nothing freaky about them. In addition to that, there was too much dialogue and the characters, except Ripley were just annoying. Granted, Newt was funny at times, but I just don't think we needed a child for Ripley to stress over. The marines were annoying and I felt what made the first film special, was practically gone in the second movie. The best part I would have to say, and the most memorable, is in the end of the film when Ripley gets in that one-man unit to fight the Alien. That was great! But, to be honest, I prefer the first and third films.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Federation Councillor

I can't disagree..
Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Midshipman

Foolish Huumans - Aliens were in fact the Huumans invading the nest site of a superior being.....foolishly you sent Huumans to the site of the downed nostromo only to whinge when you were either eaten, killed or used as hosts...

I fear you chose an ending which did not reflect the truth that the Huumans were incredibly out numbered and were not as intelligent as the Aliens...
Spartan#1 A Spartan never surrenders - ταν ή επί τας
The BORED ©™ No 8
The BORED Collective ©™
AKA Hellbound Chris
Proud member of BFAS
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Foolish Huumans - Aliens were in fact the Huumans invading the nest site of a superior being.....foolishly you sent Huumans to the site of the downed nostromo only to whinge when you were either eaten, killed or used as hosts...

I fear you chose an ending which did not reflect the truth that the Huumans were incredibly out numbered and were not as intelligent as the Aliens...
Yep, in space no one can hear the Bored scream.....

Last edited by Zardoz : 09-04-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Apples and Oranges... "Alien" was an excecise in "Lovecraftian" horror... very cat and mouse, never really seening the whole creature... it's pretty much reduced to slime covered parts and edits that are so quick, you wonder if you saw anything at all...

"Aliens" was really just a "Tropic Thunder" action film, with the bananna heads standing in for the Viet Cong. Unfortunately, the "battling mothers" angle was watered down to nothing for the original theatrical release. The Director's Cut has it restrored, and frankly, makes the story really worthwhile.

It was the third film that I found to be the bummer. The whole franchise ran on two primary symbols: the monster and the spaceship. By stranding Ripley in a monestary/prison, and killing off Newt in the first five minutes, that film just totally lost me. Without the tech, it became just another "we're out camping in the woods and there's a monster killing us one by one" flick. BO-ring!

The Fourth film started to recover, but they blew it with the "newborn"... what a pathetic looking pile of sh*t!

It wasn't until they got around to making Aliens Vs. Predator that the franchise really began firing on all cylinders again. Sure, it was much more a comic-book sensability, but there was some real terror in scenes of the humans being trapped in the ever changing labyrinth, and the critters stalking them around every corner. All in all, a better team up success, than say back in the Universal days when they had Frankenstien and the Wolrfman duking it out.

I haven't seen the latest, where the Aliens invade Alaska, a la "30 Days of Night"... anyone care to post a quickie review of that?

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Federation Councillor

Some interesting opinions here.

I like both Alien and Aliens and I'm glad that the first two are complete opposites. Although they are in the same franchise they are two different genres of film - Alien is a classic haunted house monster film (with the Lovecraftian element) whereas Aliens is an all-out action film. Most sequels attemt to coy what went before, it would have been very easy for a sequel to simply feature another starship finding the planet and have a carbon copy plot, but they went right out the other way, instead of one on the loose, a planet full, instead of one woman, a full assault team. Kids in peril are boring in almost every film anyway and I don't like how Newt was hastily killed off in 3 but then that's done with. The only thing I really like about 3 is the end, with Ripley sacrificing herself as the alien gestates within her. Which is where 4 ruined it by bringing her back. 4 is the weakest because that conceit alone, but it's an average sci-fi thriller on it's own merit.

I refuse to watch Alien vs Predator's sequel because the first one was simply a by the (very predictable) numbers piece of garbage when I watched it.

I can't imagine it being better than 30 Days of Night, which is very enjoyable.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Some interesting opinions here.

I like both Alien and Aliens and I'm glad that the first two are complete opposites. Although they are in the same franchise they are two different genres of film - Alien is a classic haunted house monster film (with the Lovecraftian element) whereas Aliens is an all-out action film. Most sequels attemt to coy what went before, it would have been very easy for a sequel to simply feature another starship finding the planet and have a carbon copy plot, but they went right out the other way, instead of one on the loose, a planet full, instead of one woman, a full assault team. Kids in peril are boring in almost every film anyway and I don't like how Newt was hastily killed off in 3 but then that's done with. The only thing I really like about 3 is the end, with Ripley sacrificing herself as the alien gestates within her. Which is where 4 ruined it by bringing her back. 4 is the weakest because that conceit alone, but it's an average sci-fi thriller on it's own merit.

I refuse to watch Alien vs Predator's sequel because the first one was simply a by the (very predictable) numbers piece of garbage when I watched it.

I can't imagine it being better than 30 Days of Night, which is very enjoyable.
The first AVP wasn't needeed either....
Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Vice Admiral

What can i say, both of them are good
Old 09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
What can i say, both of them are good
Which ones?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Vice Admiral

I was too scared to watch the first one all the way through - but I made it through the second. I guess that means I agree with Quark!