The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Fanboys at war
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which of the following is more important to you to make Star Trek XI an amazing film?
A great story! 24 80.00%
An accurate Depiction of the Star Trek universe! 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
No bulldozer or backhoe to dig a pit for the lava?

I personally am going to give this film the benefit of the doubt.

It easy to be negative, alot harder to try and be open minded.
There's a saying I always keep close to heart: "Keep an open mind... but not SO open your brains fall out." Honestly, I do hope it does well -- but I can't deny the warning signs, and I won't.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
There's a saying I always keep close to heart: "Keep an open mind... but not SO open your brains fall out." Honestly, I do hope it does well -- but I can't deny the warning signs, and I won't.
But even if it totally bombs, we still have all the other Trek produced in the last 42 years.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

"Ohhhhhh, why didn't they listen to ussssssssss!!!!!!!!"

I don't want to be that person.

I hope it's a kickin' film that's also a kickin' Star Trek Film.

But I shudder when I think a quote along those lines was used to promote ST:X.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Midshipman

I want it to be faithful to the Trek universe.

With that said I want it to be a GREAT STORY.

They should be able to be both!

But if there not going to be faithful to Trek why don't they just do a Sci-Fi movie and leave Trek out of it?

Why did Nemesis fail, was it a poor story (thought it was ok, just rather boring) or was it the revelation of the Remans? (where did they come from) and other tiny factoids that were just ignored (Picard's hair)[Yes it was a MINOR point BUT it jarred me out of the scene thinking that's not what's been established, why couldn't they have checked there own stuff you know?]

Of course I can't name specific episodes or stories though, I know in the past I've overlooked/enjoyed Trek stuff that forgot/screwed up some point. So I can overlook a Trek faux pas for a good story, but if they seriously ignore Trek history, for a good story just drop the Trek connection.
http://www.kriosiansplayers.com/
Old 09-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The thing I find interesting is that given those two choices, there still are people here who would choose an 'accurate' depiction rather than a great story. Quite honestly, in the end, those are the type of people that aided in the destruction of Trek IMO. The series became too inclusive and that was celebrated by it's extreme level fans. In short, Trek became a nerds only franchise. The general public stopped caring because they stopped being able to relate a long time ago. And the only way we will have a Trek rebirth is if the regular folk are drawn in to see it. And honestly, it might be too late for that. Trek is a bad word now. And it should be. It's deserving of being one with the way the franchise has gone dramatically downhill since the early 90's. As far as the movies are concerned, the late 80's. A lot of people here might try and argue that The Next Gen movies were great and Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise were great. But those are the people that don't get it. Never will unfortunately. Again, it's all about the average joe and his/her opinion of this franchise now. And IMO the only way is with a unique/fresh vision. And most importantly, A GREAT STORY. To hell with canon. You are going to take the franchise into the grave once and for all if you don't get off this ridiculous accurate depiction at all cost crap.......But some of you don't care. You just want to complain some more so you can see William Shatner in it once more. It's pretty easy to make ones self irrelevant....
Old 09-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
IDIC, ever heard that word? We know practically nothing about the story, but if you wanna spread hate because a movie does not satisfy your narrow design demands, go on. Do not expect though that no one will argue with you or repeat that a lesson in humility and tolerance won't hurt you.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

After reading my last post, it sounds a bit harsher than I was intending. Not made to piss anyone off I guess. Or maybe just a little..
Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
IDIC, ever heard that word?
Having trouble finding it in Webster's.

Quote:
We know practically nothing about the story, but if you wanna spread hate because a movie does not satisfy your narrow design demands, go on.
There's been nothing more hateful in anything I've said than there is in a concerned parent warning their offspring not to touch a hot stove burner. "A reboot is a bad idea." does not equate to anything that begins with the words, "I hate..."

Quote:
Do not expect though that no one will argue with you or repeat that a lesson in humility and tolerance won't hurt you.
Most illogical. To say that a reboot is likely to harm Star Trek is neither conceit or intolerance. It's a prediction based on the observable result of a previous reboot attempt.

It isn't hate, conceit or intolerance to say that because 1 + 1 = 2, 1 + 1 + 1 is likely to equal 3 -- regardless of how little a poster named Horatio may care for that answer. Perhaps instead of regurgitating the philosophy of a fictional society, you should apply diligent study to the very real principle of logic upon which that society models itself.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Having trouble finding it in Webster's.

There's been nothing more hateful in anything I've said than there is in a concerned parent warning their offspring not to touch a hot stove burner. "A reboot is a bad idea." does not equate to anything that begins with the words, "I hate..."

Most illogical. To say that a reboot is likely to harm Star Trek is neither conceit or intolerance. It's a prediction based on the observable result of a previous reboot attempt.

It isn't hate, conceit or intolerance to say that because 1 + 1 = 2, 1 + 1 + 1 is likely to equal 3 -- regardless of how little a poster named Horatio may care for that answer. Perhaps instead of regurgitating the philosophy of a fictional society, you should apply diligent study to the very real principle of logic upon which that society models itself.

Well in the end, as much as I love it, it's just a TV show. Not only that a Tv show (TOS) that was a ratings DOG in it's own time. Amazing how worked up we all get about it!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Ugly this thread has become....