The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Good Captain?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Trekygirl's Avatar
Trekygirl Trekygirl is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 15
Default

After Picard, Janeway is my favorite captain. She started off a little hard and un-emotional, but as the series went on, she got a lot better. Especially when trying to show 7 her humanity. She never forgot her mission, to get her crew home, and everything she did showed that. Sure she explored the Delta quadrant, but that is what she was supposed to do. And i thought she worked great with Chakotay. They were a good Captain/First office team.
__________________
Space...The Final Frontier.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-2008, 02:25 PM
kicktrick's Avatar
kicktrick kicktrick is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mass
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekygirl View Post
After Picard, Janeway is my favorite captain. She started off a little hard and un-emotional, but as the series went on, she got a lot better. Especially when trying to show 7 her humanity. She never forgot her mission, to get her crew home, and everything she did showed that. Sure she explored the Delta quadrant, but that is what she was supposed to do. And i thought she worked great with Chakotay. They were a good Captain/First office team.
yeah it did take her a bit to get her barrings
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2008, 10:14 PM
heven729's Avatar
heven729 heven729 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omicron View Post
I thought she was a good captain...

Though I never liked the fact that whenever her crewmembers suggested something which would break the rules she would go 'oh no, they are teh sacred text' but then an episode later she would be 'rules schmules'.
haha...that's so true!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
kicktrick's Avatar
kicktrick kicktrick is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mass
Posts: 223
Default

thats true
__________________
Damn you three red lights of death
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-13-2008, 10:30 AM
~Q~'s Avatar
~Q~ ~Q~ is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Continuum
Posts: 62
Default

Didn't Picard flat out sob once or twice? She barely cried in that episode.

I thought she was a great captain, considering she was stuck in the Delta Quadrant, with no backup, resources, in the middle of Borg territory, a crew where half didn't care for the Federation, and so on. She was constantly making first contact, turned a few Borg back to their respective species, and was kinda ruthless in battle. I mean, it was deleted from history, but she did ram her ship into another based on a theory.

The few times where I would have put negative marks on her record were when she locked herself up in her room because boohoo there were no stars outside, and when she made strong arguments that the Doctor was just a machine right to his face.
__________________
Eaten any good books lately?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
kicktrick's Avatar
kicktrick kicktrick is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mass
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
Didn't Picard flat out sob once or twice? She barely cried in that episode.

I thought she was a great captain, considering she was stuck in the Delta Quadrant, with no backup, resources, in the middle of Borg territory, a crew where half didn't care for the Federation, and so on. She was constantly making first contact, turned a few Borg back to their respective species, and was kinda ruthless in battle. I mean, it was deleted from history, but she did ram her ship into another based on a theory.

The few times where I would have put negative marks on her record were when she locked herself up in her room because boohoo there were no stars outside, and when she made strong arguments that the Doctor was just a machine right to his face.
i totaly agree with what your saying.
__________________
Damn you three red lights of death
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
The Doctor's Avatar
The Doctor The Doctor is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 213
Default

There are a lot of good points in this thread. Personally, I liked Janeway. I thought she made a good captain and did well in the awkward situation they were in. There have been far worse federation captains than her (none of the main ones, of course).

So she's not perfect. That's a good thing, perfection is...well, inhuman. And Star Trek is a show about humanity for the most part.

Quote:
Though I never liked the fact that whenever her crewmembers suggested something which would break the rules she would go 'oh no, they are teh sacred text' but then an episode later she would be 'rules schmules'.
For the most part I'd say she knew which rules to bend and which rules to obey, rather than just flipping between one and the next. Each captain, no, each person can interpret the rules differently. Part of being a good captain is knowing when to follow rules and when not to. I mean, Kirk should have taught everyone that much.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-13-2008, 04:27 PM
USS Regent NCC-46516's Avatar
USS Regent NCC-46516 USS Regent NCC-46516 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Elkhart, Indiana, USA
Posts: 56
Default

I liked Janeway, but her merits as a Captain certainly grew more because of the tragedy of being stranded so far from home versus if the story had taken place closer to home with more Starfleet around.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 PM
omicron's Avatar
omicron omicron is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
For the most part I'd say she knew which rules to bend and which rules to obey, rather than just flipping between one and the next. Each captain, no, each person can interpret the rules differently. Part of being a good captain is knowing when to follow rules and when not to. I mean, Kirk should have taught everyone that much.
I agree that not all the rules should be followed in their situation. I don't have a problem with that, the issue I have with Janeway is that whenever someone gave an option which would break a rule, she would just respond by saying 'we have to obey the rules' but never explained why this rule shouldn't be broken, and the one she broke 3 days ago was up for grabs.
I feel that there was a bit too much randomness to the whole thing. Especially since she had always depended on her senior officers so much, but whenever she said "no" she didn't offer an explanation (and I realize she doesn't have to do that, but still, it would have made things clearer for her crew)
__________________
Divide and conquer works... Destroy and conquer works even better
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 AM
kicktrick's Avatar
kicktrick kicktrick is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mass
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omicron View Post
I agree that not all the rules should be followed in their situation. I don't have a problem with that, the issue I have with Janeway is that whenever someone gave an option which would break a rule, she would just respond by saying 'we have to obey the rules' but never explained why this rule shouldn't be broken, and the one she broke 3 days ago was up for grabs.
I feel that there was a bit too much randomness to the whole thing. Especially since she had always depended on her senior officers so much, but whenever she said "no" she didn't offer an explanation (and I realize she doesn't have to do that, but still, it would have made things clearer for her crew)
some federation rules didn't or shouldest have applied in the delta quadrant. and she saw that.
__________________
Damn you three red lights of death
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.