The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Old sci-fi movies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Favorites include: THE THING (original and Carpenter's remake, for different reasons), THEM!, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (original), IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE is a fun very-50s flick (the prototype for ALIEN).

For me, 2001 is the landmark separating 'old' sci-fi films and the new era... but then again I can't think of films from the '80s being "old sci-fi" either.
I agree, I also liked the 1978 remake of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, becuase of Sutehrland and Nimoy's perfomaces. And thereappearence of McCarthy as the charater he played in the original film.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 AM
FanWriter45's Avatar
FanWriter45 FanWriter45 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.
Posts: 3,051
Default

Some of my favorites:

1) Rocketship XM... yeah, I know that MST3K used thins one, but I still find it to be a great little movie. The tinted B&W sequences on Mars (Death Valley) and the crew finding the remains of a civilization that nuked itself... pretty strong stuff for 1950's.

2) Destination Moon... Heinlien, and George Pal, and Chesley Bonestell. How could you go wrong? The score for this movie is STILL one I love taking to star parties. Filled with austere beauty. It's how the moon landing SHOULD have gone...

3) THEM! The first, and best, of the giant bug films. Totally ridiculous from a technical science viewpoint, but try to tell that to a 10 foot long ant as it runs you down in the SW American Desert! The scene were Pat is first confronted with an ant in the windstorm, is one of the most dramatic moments in science fiction film, period.

4) This Island, Earth Slow to start, once the trip to Metaluna kicks in, the sense of wonder and excitement never lets up. (Ever notice the similarity between Exeter's flying saucer and the primary hull of the Enterprise? Yeah, me too...)

5) Forbidden Planet William Shakespere done in the distant future... Earth men in a *****in' flying saucer, a (not quite) dead planet, the coolest robot in cinema history, and production values that would never be repeated, for at least 25 years. Again, notice any similarities between TOS and FP's production design?

6)20,000 Leauges Under the Sea. (Disney) A smashing cast, and the single most impressive bit of hardware in science fiction: the Nautilus. Atomic powered, velvet lined, and iron riveted. You couldn't NOT believe that sub existed. I still want the score to this movie, which sadly, has never been released officially.

7) War of the Worlds.... (sigh) When people ask me, what movie mad you hide behind the couch as a kid? I point to this one. The farmhouse encounter with the martian remains the most terrifying moment in film for me... I didn't feel that shiver again until "Alien" almost 30 years later. The sound effects, and the manta ray war machines haunted my dreams as a kid. How cool is that?

8)Invaders From Mars ... again, as a yojng kid, how can this movie NOT traumatize you? Your friends, relatives, even the cops, all under Martian control... It was sort of like Body Snatchers for the 12 and under set.

9) First Men in the Moon Ray Harryhausen... You don't often see movies that try to show you an entire alien civilization... but Ray hit us all with a Cinerama punch. Huge, gigantic caverns, filled with marvelous crystaline technology, RTD bus sized catapillars, and a meeting with the Grand Lunar.... How could any kid resist? (I so wanted a Cavorite sphere of my own....later, I switched it to another Brit creation: the TARDIS. In fact, I wrote a paper once on the influence of Wells book on Doctor Who.)
__________________
Number Two: Conform, Number Six! Conform!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Thank you FanWriter!! This Island Earth - I had that one in my mind but it's been so long since it's been on television I could not for the life of me recall it's name!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Crosis101's Avatar
Crosis101 Crosis101 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Default

`http://viperwingleader.dvdaf.com/own...e-fiction?pg=1

I figured it's just easier to post my DVD Afficianado Page for Science Fiction.
__________________
"In Wartime the truth is so precious that she must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."-Winston Churchill
"It has been said that social occasions are only warfare concealed"- Khan Noonian Singh- Space Seed.
"Damn."- Mister Saavik- Star Trek Two: The Wrath of Khan
"I AM JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK!"- STAR TREK XI
" I LOVE THIS SHIP!" Scotty- STAR TREK XI
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 AM
jtrek79's Avatar
jtrek79 jtrek79 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Athens,Greece
Posts: 3,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I like Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds (original and remake), 2001, The Time Machine (original), The Thing, Krull, The Last Starfighter, The Abyss.


Krull,what a movie! Do u know that cmmdr.Edighton(sorry if i mispell it) on ds9 is kolwyn on krull
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
Krull,what a movie! Do u know that cmmdr.Edighton(sorry if i mispell it) on ds9 is kolwyn on krull
Yeah, the last time it was on TV I saw it and made the connection but before that I wouldn't have known!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
jtrek79's Avatar
jtrek79 jtrek79 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Athens,Greece
Posts: 3,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Favorites include: THE THING (original and Carpenter's remake, for different reasons), THEM!, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (original), IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE is a fun very-50s flick (the prototype for ALIEN).

For me, 2001 is the landmark separating 'old' sci-fi films and the new era... but then again I can't think of films from the '80s being "old sci-fi" either.

mission i see you live close to hollywood.Heard any good words about the remake of "the day earth stood still"?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:30 AM
jtrek79's Avatar
jtrek79 jtrek79 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Athens,Greece
Posts: 3,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Some of my favorites:

1) Rocketship XM... yeah, I know that MST3K used thins one, but I still find it to be a great little movie. The tinted B&W sequences on Mars (Death Valley) and the crew finding the remains of a civilization that nuked itself... pretty strong stuff for 1950's.

2) Destination Moon... Heinlien, and George Pal, and Chesley Bonestell. How could you go wrong? The score for this movie is STILL one I love taking to star parties. Filled with austere beauty. It's how the moon landing SHOULD have gone...

3) THEM! The first, and best, of the giant bug films. Totally ridiculous from a technical science viewpoint, but try to tell that to a 10 foot long ant as it runs you down in the SW American Desert! The scene were Pat is first confronted with an ant in the windstorm, is one of the most dramatic moments in science fiction film, period.

4) This Island, Earth Slow to start, once the trip to Metaluna kicks in, the sense of wonder and excitement never lets up. (Ever notice the similarity between Exeter's flying saucer and the primary hull of the Enterprise? Yeah, me too...)

5) Forbidden Planet William Shakespere done in the distant future... Earth men in a *****in' flying saucer, a (not quite) dead planet, the coolest robot in cinema history, and production values that would never be repeated, for at least 25 years. Again, notice any similarities between TOS and FP's production design?

6)20,000 Leauges Under the Sea. (Disney) A smashing cast, and the single most impressive bit of hardware in science fiction: the Nautilus. Atomic powered, velvet lined, and iron riveted. You couldn't NOT believe that sub existed. I still want the score to this movie, which sadly, has never been released officially.

7) War of the Worlds.... (sigh) When people ask me, what movie mad you hide behind the couch as a kid? I point to this one. The farmhouse encounter with the martian remains the most terrifying moment in film for me... I didn't feel that shiver again until "Alien" almost 30 years later. The sound effects, and the manta ray war machines haunted my dreams as a kid. How cool is that?

8)Invaders From Mars ... again, as a yojng kid, how can this movie NOT traumatize you? Your friends, relatives, even the cops, all under Martian control... It was sort of like Body Snatchers for the 12 and under set.

9) First Men in the Moon Ray Harryhausen... You don't often see movies that try to show you an entire alien civilization... but Ray hit us all with a Cinerama punch. Huge, gigantic caverns, filled with marvelous crystaline technology, RTD bus sized catapillars, and a meeting with the Grand Lunar.... How could any kid resist? (I so wanted a Cavorite sphere of my own....later, I switched it to another Brit creation: the TARDIS. In fact, I wrote a paper once on the influence of Wells book on Doctor Who.)


Excellent set of movies fanwriter!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 PM
MissionTrek08's Avatar
MissionTrek08 MissionTrek08 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,562
Default

Ay carumba, I completely forgot the original WAR OF THE WORLDS, one of my all-time faves. I liked Spielberg's remake for its timing, but like the remake of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (sorry, Z), it just doesn't capture the feel I enjoy in the originals. There was a zeitgeist in the '50s and in its sci-fi which just can't be duplicated in the modern era, now matter how inspiring the films are.

Carpenter's remake of THE THING is a rare example, but it also shifted the story back to the PROBLEM of the Thing and the original short story's emphasis on paranoia, but from a personal angle rather than a political one. It works, but for quite different reasons of its own, rather than trying to replicate the original's context.

20,000 LEAGUES was a great addition, Fan!

JTrek, sorry but I personally have heard very little about the remake of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. We discussed it a bit on some thread here, I forget which one. But several people, including myself, got the vibe from the trailer that it looked and felt more like Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS than a direct remake of the original TDTESS -- which might well be a good move, since most fans of the original agree that it couldn't possible be duplicated, nor should it be.

That is a story VERY much locked into the '50s, I'd think. I don't know what the new story will be, but I think the smartest move would be to tell in our current context, not what fit best in the '50s.
__________________

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK


Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

THX-1138, Boy and His Dog, Silent Running.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.