The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Orci and Kurtzman reveal plot to Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Commander

its nice to see that fans can figure out the plot before they reveil the plot to us.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Captain

Well this certainly opens up a whole can of worms of possibilities. If what they were infering is true re: the opportunity to change the future of TREK as we know/knew it, then it paves the way for a whole reincarnation of TOS i.e sequels. Dare I also say that it makes the resurection of Kirk possible. (Dodges all the rotten food being thrown)
Old 08-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Well this certainly opens up a whole can of worms of possibilities. If what they were infering is true re: the opportunity to change the future of TREK as we know/knew it, then it paves the way for a whole reincarnation of TOS i.e sequels. Dare I also say that it makes the resurection of Kirk possible. (Dodges all the rotten food being thrown)
some say that First Contact already created an alternate timeline that gave birth to Enterprise, so nothing new. I wish we could just accept a new version of Trek and not explain it like this, but there are the freaks canonites out there. *sigh*

Old 08-31-2008, 07:33 PM
Captain

Well, as much as I can argue canon with everyone else, I will try not to let that get in the way of my enjoyment of the movie. For me, this is too big of an event to split hairs over, but I admit it does make for some good friendly banter.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Rear Admiral

If you want to see some retarded hair splitting, go here: http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...5120#post95120

I started ranting, sorry if it sounds rather rash.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Admiral

How, exactly is ripping of the plot of Terminator "creative"?

However...if clothes do have to come off, then I say it should be the young new crew. Zach, Chris, Karl, Zoe....no problem seeing a bit of that skin....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Default Its only my opinion...

But how about Spock saying at the end of the movie....

I'll be back!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Well this certainly opens up a whole can of worms of possibilities. If what they were infering is true re: the opportunity to change the future of TREK as we know/knew it, then it paves the way for a whole reincarnation of TOS i.e sequels. Dare I also say that it makes the resurection of Kirk possible.
Possible, but I'd still guess unlikely, since the *major* point of this mission is to NOT allow the past to be entirely undone. So if this mission proves successful, then most of the timeline we 'know' would be preserved... but perhaps with small changes.

And as others have wisely noted, I think those changes will be minor and somewhat 'explain' the new look of pre-TOS era TREK from the TOS series and such like. Also, it gives the writers some wiggle room with established TREK canon too -- not throwing out all TREK which has already been shown, but not being slavishly devoted to every detail as 'written in stone' either.

Maybe.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Default Its only my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Possible, but I'd still guess unlikely, since the *major* point of this mission is to NOT allow the past to be entirely undone. So if this mission proves successful, then most of the timeline we 'know' would be preserved... but perhaps with small changes.

And as others have wisely noted, I think those changes will be minor and somewhat 'explain' the new look of pre-TOS era TREK from the TOS series and such like. Also, it gives the writers some wiggle room with established TREK canon too -- not throwing out all TREK which has already been shown, but not being slavishly devoted to every detail as 'written in stone' either.

Maybe.
The past of our timeline cannot be changed or altered without affecting the future of our timeline, unless the affected past of one timeline effects the future timeline of another. Hmm...

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Well, this goes right back to the theoretical physics of time travel: does the action return in a loop back on the same timeline, or does it split off to create a parallel timeline?

From those who know more about it in subsequent TREK series, the franchise seems to follow the theory of parallel time lines.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!