The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The TOS futures....future?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default The TOS futures....future?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before (I guess I could have done a search but I'm too lazy I guess) but if they are redesigning the look for the 60's Star Trek, doesn't that mean that the time period Spock is coming back from(after ST VI) will have to be rethought as well? I mean, the tech will be updated so as to be believable, but that would mean the look they had established later would now look outdated. Am I the only one who thinks this way? And more importantly, how will it look? They do need to create a world where tech is considerably more advanced than the earlier time they are doing the story in, right?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Updating...maybe. But I would asusume they will keep familar form (Ie. Phasers will look liek TOS with an update not a blaster from Star Wars.)
Old 08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

They could make things like saying that the moirés are screensavers and the buttons can not only be pushed on the top side, but also the sides of the buttons have a function (which would explain why they aren't flat)...
I think they could keep the look of it all while still making it futuristic.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Rear Admiral

^Good ideas.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Ensign

Imagine it like this: What you have seen in TOS, TNG, DS9 & Voyager so far is like one timeline that has already played out. In this movie, when Spock travels back and thus disrupts the timeline, everything will be affected. So in short, we can kind of start afresh with a new look and new cast with updated technology.

It'll probably never go to TV though (hopefully). I would like to see an entirely new crew and ship with new adventures on TV.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Midshipman

Default Updated Future

I think the question that the original poster asked was this...

We've been told that this new movie takes place in already established continuity. However, because of today's production values, we are getting an updated look of the 1701 and her inner technology.

Now, since this movie also features an older Spock that is presumably in/from the post Nemesis era... Will the post Nemesis era technology be updated as well? In keeping with the newly updated tech from the TOS era?

I hope that makes more sense.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leathart View Post
I'm not sure if this has been asked before (I guess I could have done a search but I'm too lazy I guess) but if they are redesigning the look for the 60's Star Trek, doesn't that mean that the time period Spock is coming back from(after ST VI) will have to be rethought as well? I mean, the tech will be updated so as to be believable, but that would mean the look they had established later would now look outdated. Am I the only one who thinks this way? And more importantly, how will it look? They do need to create a world where tech is considerably more advanced than the earlier time they are doing the story in, right?
One has to distinguish between and design and function. In ENT, the design looked of course more modern than 60s design but the systems were more simple and less advanced than the 23rd century technology. So no need to change if you distinguish between in-universe/ 'what can the technology do' and real-world perspective 'this design is done in 2008'.
If they did not change the design (or if the actors would try to do imitate the old ones), it would look like a farce or hommage to TOS.
And the view pictures one could see seemed to indicate they go into a similar direction as ENT, buttons to push etc.

Interesting point on establishing the future time period, mainstream theory so far is post-Nemesis time but why not the 23rd century? Perhaps because Nimoy looks to "outdated" for that time frame ?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverExpress57 View Post
I think the question that the original poster asked was this...

We've been told that this new movie takes place in already established continuity. However, because of today's production values, we are getting an updated look of the 1701 and her inner technology.

Now, since this movie also features an older Spock that is presumably in/from the post Nemesis era... Will the post Nemesis era technology be updated as well? In keeping with the newly updated tech from the TOS era?

I hope that makes more sense.
Actually, yes. That was my point. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly (I just woke up at the time, sorry). Although I'm not sure it takes place after Nemesis....You can boil it down to this: what will the future look like to (already established) old Spock now that young Spocks time period has been redesigned?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Commander

would be cool to see a galaxy class ship for the post nemesis era.
Like all things you add the special movie touch . Retro with a polished approach on modern times.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetanus4breakfast View Post
Imagine it like this: What you have seen in TOS, TNG, DS9 & Voyager so far is like one timeline that has already played out. In this movie, when Spock travels back and thus disrupts the timeline, everything will be affected. So in short, we can kind of start afresh with a new look and new cast with updated technology.
That is what I think will probably happen because the writers of Trek XI have hinted that there is a plot explanation as to why the Enterprise looks updated. Of course, it's also quite possible that the timeline that elder Spock goes to is a parallel timeline/universe and after he completes his mission, he'll go back to his own parallel timeline/universe and from now on, any future adventures will feature the new TOS cast in the secondary parallel timeline/universe. Just a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetanus4breakfast View Post
It'll probably never go to TV though (hopefully). I would like to see an entirely new crew and ship with new adventures on TV.
As would I.