The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Best time for UK?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Vice Admiral

I've only done London in springtime, but I can assure you it rocked weather-wise. By 2012, they may have The Theater resconstructed, too!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

It's hard to say just what parts we'd like to visit, there are so many... my wife wants to visit several of the sites made famous by the novel "Dracula", (and possibly head into Scotland to say hello to some friends of hers who used to be in The Bay City Rollers) and I have always wanted to visit the place where "The Prisoner" was shot. If at all possible, since I work in TV, I'd like to take a tour of the BBC, and possibly watch some of either Dr. Who or Torchwood being shot. I also have an online friend I'd rather like to say hello to, who used to be a model maker on Space 1999, and Alien as well.

We know we'd like to spend at least one day just knocking around London, seeing the eye, big ben, the tower bridge, etc...

It's all in the planning stages, so we're open to suggestions... (hint, hint)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Federation Councillor

All of those London things you mentioned are extremely easy to see in a day due to the fact that all the biggest sightseeing attractions are remarkably close together. Even without using the underground you can start at the Palace, walk via the parks along to Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, and Westminster Abbey, across the river, the London Eye is right there, then take a walk along the south bank, past street entertainers and dozens of bars and cafes, along past the Globe Theatre to Tower Bridge, then cross that and your at the Tower of London. I did that with friends in about 4-5 hours (including lunch) and we weren't even rushing! I recommend the Eye but once is enough, and best to prearrange as the queues are unbelievable!!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Ah yes, you really should try to use the Underground... at the very least, for the experience, but also because it can be very handy depending on your destinations.

I visited the UK in '77, so the punk look was quite prevalent on the Underground and elsewhere -- a great social microcosm for a tourist!

I didn't make it to Wales, but can vouch for Scotland as a worthy venture. If I ever get the chance to return to the UK, I will definitely include Ireland... and more of the British country locales already suggested.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:32 AM
Federation Councillor

A driving tour of England is the best, and Scotland a must!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Lieutenant

Hi fanwriter

I can comment on Wales as that is where i am from in the UK although i live in England now.

The Prisoner series was filmed in a town called Portmerion in North East Wales. most people when they see this cult TV show think that the sets (which are extravagant) were studio sets but they are actually real buildings and exist today. heres a link which tell you a bit more about the history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmeirion

Dr Who's outside locations are mainly filmed in South Wales/Cardiff (BBC Wales Production). even the new title music is recorded by the National orchestra of wales!

sounds like you are planning a great trip and i like those places you mention although ive yet to visit Scotland myself but will do one day soon. It might work out a good idea for you to get a internal flight to Scotland as its at least a 6-7 drive from London (although that may not be much to you guys!!). Having said that if you plan a good itinery you could plan stops along the way up by car at various places of interest. As Kevin say the London attractions are within very close proximity so you can do a good deal in a full day there on foot. I think the BBC in London offer studio tours for visitors but ive not done it myself yet.

mission trek- crikey 1977!! i can tell you that Great Britain has changed A LOT since that time. - sadly not all for the better. However im here to tell you that it is still a great country and has fantatsic locations.

Im always glad to come home to Britain having been on hols in varoius countries - except America where i could stay for good!!. I hope that you find our little island intersting and pleasant. It would be good for you to see all four Kingdoms. Northern Ireland is only a short ferry ride from Liverpool too.

The UK must be expensive for Americans at present with the exchange rate but do come and spend lots of money LOL.

have fun!

all the best
starbase Britain
Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, I can only imagine how GB has changed in 30 years! Hope I get to return sometime and see for myself.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Vice Admiral

I've Always Wanted To Visit Britain Cause I Have a Few Freinds From And that Originated there... Plus I Love The Accents!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Here is a tip, instead of avoiding the rain - go to somewhere where it is guaranteed to rain. Like the Western Isles(Outer Hebrides). The rain there is an art form unto itself!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)