The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > In the long run, what do you think is more important?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Farnsworth View Post
As long as they make a new weldman movie i don't care.
They did.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
These statements of mine are based on three things: The leaked photos/plot hints, which for me just like apparently for everyone else indicate a reboot; the past performance of an aborted attempt at reboot (i.e. Enterprise); and my knowledge and skill as a writer myself. Simple equation:

They tried A; not only was A not good for the franchise, A was bad for the franchise. They're about to try an even bigger dose of A. It ain't hard to guess the outcome -- unless of course you really, really refuse to give the obvious answer just because you don't like it.

Well, I don't like the answer to that equation, either, but I'm not going to shy away from speaking it.
I think the big flaw in that equation is comparing the effort put into creating ENTERPRISE to the effort put into creating Abrams' film. It tends to lump a failure with a reboot with ALL reboot efforts failing, which simply isn't true -- and certainly is not supported by recent box office trends.

Not to mention you're comparing a 'fourth-network' TV series to a major motion picture, which will also have next to nothing in common in terms of budget, scope, production time, etc.

I'm certainly willing to confront the possibility you mention, don't get me wrong. My point is that we have no ACTUAL EVIDENCE to support your theory yet:

We have almost NO context in which to place the leaked photos you mention.

Even with those pictures, we have so LITTLE information still to formulate accurate opinions on the extent and design of a reboot approach.

Your skills as a writer may be considerable, but you're not the writer of this film, nor am I. I'm unclear how you can extrapolate one to the other as a basis of 'proof' of anything.

Guess the outcome all you like, that's cool. But you can't know anything without seeing the actual film first, and preconceptions based on speculations are always uninformed at best until we have more concrete facts to work with. We don't even know what we don't know yet.

I'll consider how the film may disappoint as a reboot if you'll consider how thrilled you might be next May if this film knocks your socks off.

ALL possibilites are still open at this point.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Federation Councillor

MissionTrek08, telling it like it is!!!