The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Deep Space Nine - Seasons 1 and 2
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Seasons One and Two are fine.

They establish characters, relationships and the setting for what is to come later.

DS9 requires patience from the audience.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Ensign

Season 1 started good, got a little slow, but made up time towards the end. Season 2 started great and with the ending with the Jem'Hadar you could see how the rest of the show would go. Season 3 (which I just finished again) was good all the way through. You had the scare of the Jem'hadar, but you still got the political episodes.

And as people have said, without these three seasons the war would have just been another sci-fi war with no meaning.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Midshipman

I bring DS9 to my friends who are not into Trek at all and they totally love this show. I will say though, that I have to skip some chunks of seasons one and two because they just don't hold up as well against the rest of the show. I basically show the important ones and the best ones but then move into seasons three and four when the Dominion story line picks up.

That being said, by the time they've watched "What you leave behind" they are quite eager to go back and watch the episodes we skipped!

Paramount should really market a "DS9 in 28 episodes" collection and push it out towards those not into Trek cuz it will sure draw them in! Then they need to make a DEEP SPACE NINE MOVIE!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Commander

I think both Season One and Two have some great episodes. (As do they all.)

I get the feeling that the writers &c. were really feeling their way with the first few seasons, and that they had definitely found it by the last.

But I have absolutely nothing against the first seasons -- they're very enjoyable.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Midshipman

I like how they started introducing the Dominion very subtly and then at the end of the second season and the beginning of the third, they started to explain more and then they really started to take off with the Dominion.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Commander

I think DS9 was one of the best shows in terms of early character development. People mention characters like Garak, Dukat, and all that in terms of villians, but an underappreciated villian in DS9 was Kai Winn and the first 2 seasons really developed the tension between her and Sisko.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I just finished watching the Circle Trilogy (Homecoming, Circle and Siege). God I love that trilogy and what I've seen in the last four episodes.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:46 AM
Commander

Seasons 1 and 2 aren't the best...but they aren't the best for TNG, either. I think it took a little more time to break DS9 away as its own Trek, but I think it also stands head and shoulders above the other TNG-era series.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Ensign

Some of the first DS9 episodes I've watched were from the first season, those episodes made me think that DS9 was the most boring Star Trek Series, and I kept that opinion for 3 years...until I watched some episodes from some of the later seasons... Then I realized that DS9 is an awesome show! I have watched every season except the first season and the first half of the second season...i don't know if i want to see the first...I don't think I missed much.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Commander

Actually....

I was just re-watching Series One (again) and am half way through re-watching Series Two...
(again)

...And I have to say something I noticed is that both those seasons are actually very good.

Having seen them (again) quite recently, I have even less idea than I did before of why people say that they are bad.

(Yeah they have their moments and some episodes I really don't like, even. But overall I love'em.)