The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Deep Space Nine - Seasons 1 and 2
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Deep Space Nine - Seasons 1 and 2

These seasons tend to get criticized the most as being boring and stuff like that. Granted, the series gets massivly better in Season 4 (Season 3 was actually weaker than Season 2 IMO) but I'm going through the first season lately on DS9 and I'm loving it all over it. The first season had some great episodes like Emissary, Past Prolouge (Great Kira piece), Battle Lines, Duet (Top 5 episode of the series), and In the Hands of the Prophets. Season 2 gets better with the circle trilogy, Cardassians, and almost the entire second half of the season.

So what say you. What did you love about the first two seasons of DS9. For me, it was exploring the Bajorans, the Universe, and these characters. It set up what was to come and made what came even more epic.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I pretty much have to agree with everything you said except for your evaluation of season 3.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Ensign

I'm recently started season 3. It took me nearly a year to view season two. If started and ended well but the middle part was so slow and full of mediocre episodes. Season 3 is definitely an improvement.

FYI, I'm Jack Bauer at Trek BBS.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Lieutenant

Well, the end of season 2, "The Jem'Hadar". That episode is probably in my top five
favorite ever. Not only do they finally explore the Gamma Quadrant, but the Dominion
is finally introduced. What I really loved, was the following two parter espisode, "The
Search I & II", when the Dominion pretty much says, "back off, or ally with us" and
then the whole scare starts! That's also when they brought in the Defiant, so then
you knew DS9 was ready for a fight! I just really enjoyed how Trek finally realized
that they can't go exploring every corner of the galaxy without running into a species
that's gonna say, "wait a minute, WTF?"

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Ensign

Location: Karl-Marx-Stadt, Saxony, Germany, Europe, Earth, Sol-Sector, Alpha-Quadrant, Milky Way

I think the first 2 seasons built the ground for the later action-heavy seasons that most people like.

If the characters hadn't been build up in these first two years, then the dominion war would have just been "yet another scifi war". But what made it great was that we cared about the characters. (I hope this was understandable)
Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Lieutenant

I liked all of the seasons...

Episode that theres only talk...fine with me
Episode where theres tons of ship battles...fine with me
Old 02-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Ensign

Seasons 1 + 2 aren't the best, but I still find them enjoyable. Lots of great eps.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I love season 1 and 2 every season of DS9 is great!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Ensign

Seasons 1 and 2 were more political in nature. I don't find this to be any kind of drawback. If anything, the show went off on too many tangents in later seasons, which detracted from the original issues at hand- namely, Bajor and the Federation.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Ensign

completely disagree on season 3...it is by far my favourite...so many good episodes (The Search, Past Tense, Defiant, Cardassian-Romulan episodes)...it was the first one I bought on DVD...I loved it