The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Stargate Universe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Admiral

I heard they canceled Atlantis because they couldn't get the budget to do both shows and so the producers opted to end Atlantis and go with this new show, so all I can say is it better be damn good, cause if not, what a stupid idea.

Good Atlantis news though, is that there will be a DVD movie possibly followed by another and also another SG1 movie I hear as well.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
Finally, I'd heard about it but I thought it was dead because there was never any news about it.
I hope this isn't the Stargate equivalent of "Enterprise"
What do you mean? I'm not clear on the "equivalent" part. SGU is not set in an earlier time frame. Or do you mean this show is successful and does NOT fail after a short run? Or that the fans of the first two shows don't reject this one because it is NOT exactly the same?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I'm not sure about this new series it seems contrived and inmature. But we will see.
Contrived? How? The Stargate universe if full of technology and really didn't get good until the introduction of ships. traveling from planet to planet thru the stargate gets boring. It's space that is exciting.

What part is immature? I haven't seen enough to say much. SGU does seem "darker", but that much has been said by those involved with the show. The video I've seen reminds me of the "gritty" feel of BSG.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
THe whole thing being based on a space ship seems a bit too much of a step away from what the whole universe is based on.
Both stargate shows had already gotten away from purely stargate travel anyway. All the good story arcs involved space battles with earth ships vs the bad guys. Stargate also decided it would be nice to add a slightly "trek" technology when they included beaming technology. We know the ancients can build massive city ships that can travel between galaxies (Atlantis ring a bell?). How is this that different?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
SGU does seem "darker", but that much has been said by those involved with the show. The video I've seen reminds me of the "gritty" feel of BSG.
Yeah, it seems they're taking their cues from the new BSG a bit. I hear the live action Starwars show coming out soon is doing a bit of the same but there'll be only one BSG, well two I suppose.

Quote:
Both stargate shows had already gotten away from purely stargate travel anyway. All the good story arcs involved space battles with earth ships vs the bad guys. Stargate also decided it would be nice to add a slightly "trek" technology when they included beaming technology. We know the ancients can build massive city ships that can travel between galaxies (Atlantis ring a bell?). How is this that different?
I hadn't thought of that, good point! They have really gone away from stargate travel since their budget has grown. Now they can fly whole fleets through stargates!

Seriously though I like the more space based action of Atlantis. Once the Asgard began to share they really revolutionized human space travel. I remember the first season of SG1 where Bratac asks, "you have craft to defend your world?" O'neil: "We have shuttles."

Oh those were the days!

Last edited by Livingston : 03-24-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
What do you mean? I'm not clear on the "equivalent" part. SGU is not set in an earlier time frame. Or do you mean this show is successful and does NOT fail after a short run? Or that the fans of the first two shows don't reject this one because it is NOT exactly the same?
Really! I thought it was more of an copy cat of voyager with a stargate... think about it one ship small crew stranded millions of light years away from earth... they even upped the ante i mean look its not just another quad of the galaxy its a whole other galaxy.the biggest difference is i don't think they can turn the ship around to head back towards home.
Quote:
Atlantis is different becuase its main function is as a city not a ship, the ship part is just a secondary kind of like icing on a cake. I mean you can have cake without icing but its just not as good.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraviik View Post
Really! I thought it was more of an copy cat of voyager with a stargate... think about it one ship small crew stranded millions of light years away from earth... they even upped the ante i mean look its not just another quad of the galaxy its a whole other galaxy.the biggest difference is i don't think they can turn the ship around to head back towards home..
The basic idea of "lost in space" is very Voyager like. That doesn't make it a copycat. We already knew that inter-Galactic travel was possible in the Stargate universe, being that there are an unimaginable number of galaxies out there, it is NOT surprising this show takes place in a different galaxy, or galaxies, than the ones already established in SG-1 and Atlantis.

I wonder if the SGU team will even know which direction is the way home. The universe is so large they may have no visual indication. That would leave them with nothing to go on. I could see how that would lead to storys involving detective work to try and find a way home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraviik View Post
Atlantis is different becuase its main function is as a city not a ship, the ship part is just a secondary kind of like icing on a cake. I mean you can have cake without icing but its just not as good.
I love icing! The point I was trying to make is that it is NOT contrived to find out the ancients built a massive intergalactic ship. It's already been done. This ship had a different mission therefore a different design.

I really like the idea behind this new series. My only complaint is that I really like story arcs that involve the same villians... arc that are seasons long, not just a few episodes. It sounds like this show will be moving from star system to star system, even from galaxy to galaxy, so the chances the same bad guys will be around for more than a few episodes are slim. That could be a good thing though.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 03-24-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Dont get me wrong Iam looking forward to it Stargate is my fav TV Franchise. (Sorry Trek)
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Dont get me wrong Iam looking forward to it Stargate is my fav TV Franchise. (Sorry Trek)
Agreed

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Sweet!

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/richard...derson-wil.php