The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Stargate Universe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Havent read many of the entries here, but have the audacity to post anyway (naughty me):

SG:U is such an obviously desperate attempt to make money of the Stargate name, eventhough the budget does not allow another Stargate show, its sad, pathetic actually.

Seemingly they just thought: Lets make 'Lost', kinda, just in space, not really, you know, a few dark and empty rooms, allways the same people. We dont want to afford many guest stars or extras, or costumes, or makeup. Lets have a reason for even the main cast to wear the very same costume every week. Saves money. And then lets come up with stories that allow us to have nothing more then one or two of those very same people sitting in a room so dark, you cant tell wether its a spaceship or a basement. This way the audience cant tell wether its many rooms or allways the very same room. Saves money for props and sets. Then lets have these people talk rubbish and then lets film it all with shaky camera, so the audience thinks anything of what is said is important. Because, you know, shaky camera makes even a pot of boiling water look like action. Play some mystery-music in the background, keeps the audience asking themselves, what will happen next. You know, keeps them thinking we would not play mysterious music for no reason, so something important will get to happen soon. In between we throw in one or two seconds of CGI-Aliens, just so that the audience keeps thinking some Sci-Fi-Stuff would come their way within the next few minutes. Make sure to have a flashback or a cut at this point, so the audience doesnt realize they never got to get more from the aliens.
Lets have lots of flashbacks and fast cuts to other dark places in any case, with allways the same people talking rubbish. This way the audience will need a few weeks to figure out that NOTHING EVER HAPPENS!!!!

By then we should have come up with something interestning, probably.

And so they did. The finale of season one was great, really. The cliffhanger was absolutely amazing. I couldnt wait to see how they will solve it. And then season two started aaaand..... oh boy, what a let down. They where back with dark rooms, people talking, nothing of interest happening. Most of the situations of the cliffhanger just solved themselves. Girl with the shot-wound? Healed itself. What!? The two guys, working outside of the ship, who ran for their lifes to get back into the ship before the star flares cook them in their suits? Found a spot to hide in between scenes. Aarrrgh!!!!

The most recent episode was interestning though. Liked Elis problem with his mother a lot. But then again, I dont tune in into a Sci-Fi-Show to get a Hospital Drama.

However, I am not a fan of shows like BSG or Lost anyway, because nothing ever happens really. They just keep stretching out the storyarc to keep you watching, without anything ever really paying out. Very lame. Usually, at the end of an episode, you can summarize what happened, what changed, with one or two sentences. SG:U does that in a painfullly obvious way.
Wow you sound like you've watched every episode and from the sound of it I'm glad I gave up on it last season. You really got all the reasons for this slow show right. It's about money. Same rooms same cloths same problems stretched over entire episodes and resolutions are real easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
One of the things I loved about the new Battlestar Galactica was that the action was kept so sparse. But when the action happened, it was a major payoff...especially in some of the larger space battles.
I thought that was good for a little while and then I just got bored. I stopped watching. It was for other moral reasons too but nothing about the show got me to stick around.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Wow you sound like you've watched every episode and from the sound of it I'm glad I gave up on it last season. You really got all the reasons for this slow show right. It's about money. Same rooms same cloths same problems stretched over entire episodes and resolutions are real easy.
I usually check the web for new episodes all few weeks and watch the episodes via web-stream.
The advantage of web-stream: Fast Forward.
Without it I would never have seen more then the first 15 minutes of the first three episodes.

I was quite fond of Stragate Atlantis and by now have watched every episode of that show. Thus I was curious about SG:U, because they canceled Atlantis for making SG:U instead. You dont cancel a sucessfull show for no reason. The reason in this case obviously was, that they had no idea how they could possibly reduce costs for Atlantis and at the same time keep it being the same show. Thats why they came up with a new and much cheaper show-concept: SG:U.

About BSG: I have to say that besides the problem of artificially prolonged storyarcs that lead nowhere, I just didnt care for the characters enough to keep watching. They are all a bunch of selfish cowards. Yes, cowards. Sure, they do extreme things. But they never do the right things. They allways only do the things they believe to be necessary in order to save their own butts, often they do extreme things... to save their own butts. While thats great for one or two episodes (like DS9's "In The Pale Moonlight") it gets very tiresome when being done every freaking week and that made me stop care about those people. Just a bunch of selfish guys'n'gals in space who try to keep things going... nowhere. Pure survival is just not good enough to keep me hooked and definetly is not good enough a motivation for heroes I am supposed to care about.

And if you now start talking about how this would have been about realism: If I want to see realistic people, with all their realistic shortcommings, who never do great or heroic stuff, people like you and me, then I usually open my front door and get out. ;D

Last edited by Botany Bay : 10-23-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Federation Councillor

I actually know a few people who couldn't get into BSG because they felt the characters were not likeable.

That said, I always enjoyed BSG myself and I actually liked that some of the characters were depicted as being flawed and imperfect. It made me like them more because they were more...........human as a result. Oddly enough. And I guess........per your last paragraph..........since that obviously doesn't appeal you probably shouldn't have wasted your time trying to watch it in the first place, since it was like that from the very beginning.

Although Stargate never appealed much anyway whenever I caught it.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 10-23-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Stargate Universe was actually pitched as being a bigger budget version of Stargate. It was not a cost cutting decision, although they may have cut it's budget due to ratings, that I don't know.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I actually know a few people who couldn't get into BSG because they felt the characters were not likeable.

That said, I always enjoyed BSG myself and I actually liked that some of the characters were depicted as being flawed and imperfect. It made me like them more because they were more...........human as a result. Oddly enough. And I guess........per your last paragraph..........since that obviously doesn't appeal you probably shouldn't have wasted your time trying to watch it in the first place, since it was like that from the very beginning.
Yeah, it very much appears to be that way. I think I saw half the first season, most of those episodes I stoped watching in the middle. Saw a few later episodes here and there and just recently tried watching Razor, the movie that starred the actrice who played Ro Laren. Also just ended up seeing it in Fast Forward Mode, because I didnt just not like the people, I even ended up despising them. You know, the way you may have felt when watching all the Nazis in "Downfall (Der Untergang)".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Stargate Universe was actually pitched as being a bigger budget version of Stargate. It was not a cost cutting decision, although they may have cut it's budget due to ratings, that I don't know.
No way. The show might have been pitched as expensive to the studios in the hope to get a high budget, but I do not believe thats what happened in the end. If SG:U is actually having a higher budget than Atlantis had, then either the wages in Canada have exploded lately or the US Dollar cant buy a Canadian Penny anymore.

Last edited by Botany Bay : 10-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
And if you now start talking about how this would have been about realism: If I want to see realistic people, with all their realistic shortcommings, who never do great or heroic stuff, people like you and me, then I usually open my front door and get out. ;D
Darker science fiction is usually populated with more ordinary people. Great and heroic stuff is do be found in bright sci-fi, nasty and unheroic stuff is found in dark sci-fi.
So it boils down to whether one can connect to the characters or whether they are portrayed interestingly at all. A cyberpunk piece like Blade Runner works so well because it portrays nasty but nonetheless sympathetic creatures.

Last edited by horatio : 10-23-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Darker science fiction is usually populated with more ordinary people. Great and heroic stuff is do be found in stuff like Trek, nasty and unheroic stuff is found in cyberpunk.
BSG was an inherently darker show, true, but as I said, it was conceived that way from the start. And it involved territory that Trek would not even remotely consider going to.

But you have to have the Darkness and the Light to appreciate both's elements.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Yeah, it very much appears to be that way. I think I saw half the first season, most of those episodes I stoped watching in the middle. Saw a few later episodes here and there and just recently tried watching Razor, the movie that starred the actrice who played Ro Laren. Also just ended up seeing it in Fast Forward Mode, because I didnt just not like the people, I even ended up despising them. You know, the way you may have felt when watching all the Nazis in "Downfall (Der Untergang)".
I've yet to see that film yet.

There's no escaping the fact that BSG was not, and never had any intention of being a Star Trek style story about the future.

Although it was set in a futuristic setting it obviously wanted to be about very contemporary matters - it really just transplants our world today into their setting and goes from there, it's not about Utopia's - but like anything, it's probably not to everyone's taste at all.

Then again, I didn't despise all of the characters - barring the ones that you were meant to. Such as Admiral Cain perhaps. You weren't even meant to despise that Razor, the story was more about the dehumanising effect that the relentless war had had on this person that had transformed her into what she became by the end of the story.

But, that's all secondary anyway if one isn't a basic fan or viewer of the series.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 10-23-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

It was planned as a bigger budget show, not as a cost cutting alternative to other SG projects.

http://www.cinemaspy.com/Features/Br...-Universe/2855

Old 10-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
BSG was an inherently darker show, true, but as I said, it was conceived that way from the start. And it involved territory that Trek would not even remotely consider going to.

But you have to have the Darkness and the Light to appreciate both's elements.
Well, mixed shows like DS9 are fine but in general I rather prefer stark contrasts in science-fiction. Keep Trek Trek-ish, keep cyberpunk cyberpunk-ish.

Look around you, we are in deep sh*t. Global warming, overpopulation, economic inequality and volatility, in the political world it is already "bubbling underneath the surface" (if I may use your phrase). Fascism is coming in the form of the Tea Party in the US or the anti-immigrant far right in Germany (populist anti-establishment, grass-roots movements, the voice of the people, they often use the same anticapitalistic rhetoric as the far left and that's why they are fascist), liberalism is under threat and the radical left might enter the stage (I'd say it has to save liberalism) sooner or later.
And such extremes are good, we need a post-postmodern after all.

Science-fiction sketches out potential futures and I like to see extremes there as well: what we might head for, what might save us and so on.

Last edited by horatio : 10-23-2010 at 01:30 PM.