The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Rock me sexy Jesus...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Rear Admiral

Default Rock me sexy Jesus...

Alright, by now I'm sure many of you have seen the trailers for Hamlet 2... now I think it certainly looks funny on a very low level, but I want to go to see it still. I think anyone who can talk about "Sexy Jesus" has at least a few funny bones in their body!

Of course there is the disrespect that such a movie has towards religion and everything else that this movie mocks (in my mom's book, that's bad).

so... rock me sexy Jesus, or crucify me?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Captain

The Religious Right, or fanatics of anything, will always protest anything that puts them in a bad light or satirizes what they believe. I think if you're secure enough with yourself, it shouldn't bother you unless such a film or other piece of media actually promotes or encourages hate, which I don't think this movie does. I don't think I'll be on line to see it but I certainly won't be protesting outside the theater either. So, ROCK ON KJ!

I think everyone in general needs to have a better sense of humor about themselves. Look at Adam Sandler's ZOHAN. The Israelis thought it was hysterical when it came out, but I'm sure had it been made about some other nationalities or religious groups, there would have been denouncements and bannings and lawsuits.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Sometimes funny on a low level is what you need for an hour and a half. I certainly agree with vuedoc that what brings people closer is finding the humour in things, being able to share a laugh (and there are laughs to be found in there, many comedians and films have successfully done it with intelligence and balance) over religion, cultural differences etc And as vuedoc also points out they are not made to incite violence or hatred, but often just to bring up questions and perhaps promote discussion. But we live in times when people are more aggressive about asserting the 'rightness' about their beliefs over those of others and overseriousness pervades. Plus a lot of times people don't actually watch what they are protesting so they don't even base the protests on the full facts, which is a little ironic to me.

It's just a movie, and if anyone thinks they won't like it they are not obligated to watch it. Of course, I'm atheist anyway, so from my point of view religious humour doesn't particularly offend me, but it shouldn't automatically be taken as an attack either.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 AM
Federation Councillor

Religon, like politcs should be parodied.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Vice Admiral

When people take offense at good-natured ribbing, that means their faith is shaky to begin with.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Personally, I'm never impressed by a group or cause which protests a piece of work without even having seen it yet. It's awfully hard to make the case for "right" out of ignorance... they don't even know what they're pre-judging yet.

I totally go along with people's right to protest art they don't like... as long as they know specifically what they're protesting first.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
When people take offense at good-natured ribbing, that means their faith is shaky to begin with.
Exactly. I hate it in school expecially, where you cannot offend anyone in anyway without getting whooped for it. It gets really annoying around "Winter break" time *ahem* *cough* *Christmas* Oh, God! did I just say the C word? Yeah, I also remember in 5th grade when we sang 2 Hanukkah songs, and Christmas wasn't even mentioned, but Oh well...

Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Vice Admiral

I have seen one thing that I thought to myself, "Yeah, if I were a Christian I'd be mighty offended." It was a t-shirt with 2 Jesuses on it, and since this is a 13+ forum I can't tell you what they were doing. In fact, I'm amazed anyone would sell it.

But I did get Hubby a NOFX shirt showing Jesus holding a gun and a whiskey bottle with the caption, "Never Trust a Hippie." That's not too bad.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Rear Admiral

I'm pretty loose as a Christian as far as "offense" goes, and as far as all other religious aspects go, for that matter.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Rear Admiral

wow, 5 "as"s in that last post.