The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > The Dark Knight!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Ensign

Default The Dark Knight!!!

i have been following this movie since 2006.

July 18 couldn't be farther away.

best 2008 films:

1. TDK...
2. surprisingly enough: Iron Man.
3. Indy 4...
last. everything else.

(i had it as tdk, trek, indy, iron man up until trek was moved to 09...)

anyway, what are your thoughts about this summer's (only...) blockbuster hit?

Melllvar: [getting autographs] Could you make it out to Melllvar? Melllvar has three "L's".
George Takei: I think I've been to enough conventions to know how to spell "Melllvar."
Old 06-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

This summer's only blockbuster hit? Aside from the 2 films which have already grossed a few hundred million dollars so far, I guess...

How much did THE DARK KNIGHT earn last week at the box office again?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Well, there are several movies I'm interested in seeing this summer/fall, but TDK is the only one that I've booked a day off work to go see...or rather, sleep after seeing the 12:01 showing.... See, it's all...part of the plan.

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emot...ace_batman.gif

Old 06-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Federation Councillor

I think box office wise it's a toss up as to what will be the biggest blockbuster of the year - Iron Man is winning in the US but Indy has beat him for worldwide box office, and there are several more contenders. I think it's more a personal preference but having thoroughly enjoyed Batman Begins, and knowing there is a story in place for film number 3, then I certainly am looking forward to TDK, especially with Nolan etc staying on board.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Midshipman

i can't wait to see this movie!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:37 AM

As awesome as Batman Begins was, i have a bad feeling that "The Dark Knight" won't be able to measure up.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Federation Councillor

How come?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
How come?
The previews i've seen mostly. The scenes and acting i've seen, particularly that of Heath Ledger as The Joker, seem over-acted and forced. It almost seems like he's trying to channel Jack Nicholson, who's horrible performance in "Batman", i'd like to be able to forget. But regardless of how pitiful Nicholson's Joker was, it somehow has become "the" Joker to beat, and in Ledger's case, apparently, to emulate. It brings to mind how "Superman Returns" failed because Brandon Routhe tried to channel Christopher Reeve. It looks like they're going to screw this one up too. I hold out precious little hope that Cain, Bale and Freeman can overcome a bad performance in such a crucial part as The Joker. But who knows, they're three talented and powerful performers, and they just might be able to get our mind off of Ledger long enough to make it worth the ticket price. We'll all find out soon.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
The previews i've seen mostly. The scenes and acting i've seen, particularly that of Heath Ledger as The Joker, seem over-acted and forced. It almost seems like he's trying to channel Jack Nicholson, who's horrible performance in "Batman", i'd like to be able to forget. But regardless of how pitiful Nicholson's Joker was, it somehow has become "the" Joker to beat, and in Ledger's case, apparently, to emulate. It brings to mind how "Superman Returns" failed because Brandon Routhe tried to channel Christopher Reeve. It looks like they're going to screw this one up too. I hold out precious little hope that Cain, Bale and Freeman can overcome a bad performance in such a crucial part as The Joker. But who knows, they're three talented and powerful performers, and they just might be able to get our mind off of Ledger long enough to make it worth the ticket price. We'll all find out soon.
I think I posted this in another thread, but I read an interview with Michael Caine where he admits to forgetting his lines because of the way Ledger entered the scene. I figure if you make an old pro like Caine blow a scene, you're doing something right.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengarius7 View Post
That's unusual because all the buzz around Ledger is that he's totally buried Nicholson's version. The only review i've read is the online Rolling Stone one which raves about his performance (although under the circumstances I wouldn't imagine anyone will be particularly harsh on him even if it's not to their taste), but it's hard to judge as he's not in much of the trailers i've seen. So I look forward to seeing the film - only a couple weeks now!