The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Treks Competition Lineup
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Vice Admiral

True True!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshiny View Post
Well the way I see it is, all the Star Trek people will go see it, probably more than once, on the opening weekend. Many sci-fi fans will want to see it on the opening weekend so they're not spoiled/left behind on discussions etc. Then there's the floating audience, the ones who will just show up to see what's on, and it's such an event movie that I reckon Trek will account for a lot of that business.

I think the only way it might struggle is if it has bad reviews, but I doubt that.
If I can't see it on opening weekend due to circumstances beyond my control (i.e. found by the men in black and put in a cell) I'll have to stop coming to this site until I see the film.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky D View Post
If I can't see it on opening weekend due to circumstances beyond my control (i.e. found by the men in black and put in a cell) I'll have to stop coming to this site until I see the film.
You'll get there. MIB told me they would make sure you were there.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
You'll get there. MIB told me they would make sure you were there.
Thanks Zardoz for pulling some strings on my behalf. As long as I'm there on opening weekend. That's all that matters.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Thanks Zardoz for pulling some strings on my behalf. As long as I'm there on opening weekend. That's all that matters.
Well in my line of work I do occasionally do MIB a favor or two. But they did want me to tell you the fedora and the trenchcoat isn't fooling anyone.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Well in my line of work I do occasionally do MIB a favor or two. But they did want me to tell you the fedora and the trenchcoat isn't fooling anyone.
ROFL I thought I had them fooled and then got cocky and left the trenchcoat at home. I guess my disguise wasn't good enough. norton.jpg

Last edited by Chucky D : 08-21-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
ROFL I thought I had them fooled and then got cocky and left the trenchcoat at home. I guess my disguise wasn't good enough. Attachment 421
No it didn't because the knew Art Carney has been dead for a long time..
Old 08-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
This?
That's the one. The film will be called I Hate valentines Day. Due out Valentines day.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fawkes View Post
That's the one. The film will be called I Hate valentines Day. Due out Valentines day.
Hey Chris you clean up good!~ THe ladies will like it.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
Star Trek To Get Some Big Fat Greek Competition August 20, 2008

by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Star Trek (2009 film) , trackback
It looks like JJ Abrams Star Trek movie has finally got some direct competition, albeit some ‘counter-programming’ competition. Cinematical is reporting that Fox Searchlight has picked May 8th as the US open date for the romantic comedy My Life in Ruins starring and co-written by Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding).

Wikipedia’s summarizes My Life In Ruin’s plot thusly:
Georgia (Nia Vardalos) is a Greek-American tour guide, who leads an assorted group of misfit tourists around Greece. Tourists who would rather buy a T-Shirt than learn about history. In an hysterical clash of personalities and cultures, everything seems to go wrong. Until one day when a very special tourist, Irv Gordon (Richard Dreyfuss), shows her how to have fun and take a good look at the last person she’d ever expect to find love with….Her quiet and sexy Greek bus driver

Poster for Life in Ruins
One can quickly see that this film is targeting a different audience than the sci-fi effects-heavy Star Trek movie. During the summer it is typical for each weekend to have one action blockbuster and one smaller romantic or family comedy. For example the biggest movie of the year, The Dark Knight actually opened alongside two other films, the family comedy Space Chimps and the romantic musical Mamma Mia. The second biggest movie of the summer, Iron Man, also had its own romantic comedy companion, Made of Honor.
May 2009 shaping up
Star Trek will open in the second weekend of the Summer 2009 season. Right now it looks like each weekend of May will have one big ‘tentpole’ and an additional romantic or family comedy, with the exception of the last weekend with the Pixar film Up, which could count as both a family comedy and a tentpole. The new X-Men and Terminator movies as well as the DaVinci Code sequel (Angels and Demons) should give Trek some good competition. But most successful films actually only get one #1 weekend at the box office. For example, last summer Transformers brought in over $300 domestically, yet was only the top film in its first weekend. If Star Trek is good (and most importantly, if it is well marketed), then it can easily end up a hit, regardless of how well the other May films do. See below for a list of the May 2009 movies so far.

DATE

FILM

1-May-09

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Boy Wizard afraid of Kirk and Spock? (and Autobots?)
Trekkies may think we had it bad when Paramount moved the Star Trek movie back 4 1/2 months from Christmas 2008 to May 2009, but Harry Potter fans just got dealt a bigger blow. Last week Warner Bros. moved Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince from Thanksgiving 2008 to July 17th 2009, a weekend already occupied by Land of the Lost, starring Will Farrell. When picking a summer slot, it appears that Warner wanted to steer clear from May movies led by Trek and the June movies led by Transformers 2.
Thanks for the info. Hope the wolverine bombs and ST can be number one at least 2 weekends.