The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > What or who drew you in?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraTroi87 View Post
I was addicted to TNG and then thought I would give DS9 a chance and now I like it better than TNG.
exactly the same here!

i grew up watching TOS and TNG and i finally decided to give DS9 a chance and now its one of my faves! i think DS9 did a great job of sticking to the canon of star trek and also modernizing it ( if that makes sense ).

i'm starting to watch voyager right now... not sure about that one though
Old 02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Commander

I was in junior high when it started. The hype was huge. "Emmisary" was the best pilot episode yet. Sisko, Kira and Bashir the three of them sucked me in. Odo was dazzling. Dax beautiful. This is the darker, more serious Star Trek in many ways. I'm impressed with the number of quality, leading and guest African-American actors in this series. They actually talked about history's mistreatment of blacks. I have many African American friends and colleagues who love this show because of the positive representation of black people.

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 02-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Default rediscovering DS9

I've just been now getting into DS9. I remember watching the pilot when it aired and all I remembered was the opening sequence, especially that escape pod part and then the worm hole aliens. My impression was it seemed to be a different sort of animal than TNG or TOS so I lost interest throughout the first season. But now I'm watching reruns of course and the dominion war business is fantastic! It reminds me of the new Battlestar Galactica series, but it also has the same producing team I believe. Jeffrey Combs is great too. I liked him as Shren and he's so different as the Vorta, very nice acting, he played a ferengi in one episode too, I think. Real Chameleon. Good stuff.

Anyone else see similarities between DS9 and the new BSG series or is it just me?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Anyone else see similarities between DS9 and the new BSG series or is it just me?
Well Ron Moore, the driving force behind the new BSG, was pretty heavily involved in DS9.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoW mAn View Post
Well Ron Moore, the driving force behind the new BSG, was pretty heavily involved in DS9.
Yeah, that's what I was saying, just was trying to see if anyone had any thoughts on it. similarities between the two shows. I don't really see the similarities until the dominion war business. There's just something about the changelings trying to destroy the federation from within, the cylons doing the same with the colonials by assuming certain individuals' identities; the founders worshipped as gods by the jem'hadar/vorta, the cylons believing they're doing the will of their one true god as they put it. great scifi!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalak301 View Post
What drew me in?

It was Star Trek. Being a fan was actually cool and in the year 1993, it was awesome to be a fan. You had TNG in season 6, DS9 starting, and a universe that was expanding into something epic. I had the same feeling with Voyager, but it died as that series went on. God I miss 1993 and 1994. Those were really special years.
I don't miss 1993~ that was one of the worst years of my life!

But.... DS9, that's what we were talking about, wasn't it?

It was on the telly one night at the same time as they usually showed Trek stuff. I have to admit, I wasn't hooked from the beginning -- because my first reaction was "who the F are these people?!" after watching TNG and Voyager with characters I knew. But after a while it grew on me esp. because of the Dominion War that was interesting and now it's my favourite series ever. (I guess that makes me a convert)
Old 02-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
I don't miss 1993~ that was one of the worst years of my life!

But.... DS9, that's what we were talking about, wasn't it?

It was on the telly one night at the same time as they usually showed Trek stuff. I have to admit, I wasn't hooked from the beginning -- because my first reaction was "who the F are these people?!" after watching TNG and Voyager with characters I knew. But after a while it grew on me esp. because of the Dominion War that was interesting and now it's my favourite series ever. (I guess that makes me a convert)
I'm sorry. Other than trek, it was a tough year for me too. Middle School is a time I don't want to remember that much.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalak301 View Post
I'm sorry. Other than trek, it was a tough year for me too. Middle School is a time I don't want to remember that much.
Oh, how funny, same here! Wasn't until I turned 14, that life got way,
way, better for me. *as you'd read in my other thread*

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Midshipman

Okay I, too, was ten when DS9 began. I can vividly remember watching the pilot episode and a few episodes thereafter... Unfortunately, the show didn't grab me the way I thought it would and so I missed out on the first three seasons. Then when I saw previews for season four and the coming of Worf, I decided to try it out again.

The Way of the Warrior hooked me for life

I watched every episode after, even going back and getting caught up on what I missed in seasons 1-3. I simply love how the show has the most aliens in it and yet is the most human. Star Trek seems to believe in a humanity that has found salvation in technology and atheism - DS9 shows us that humans are far from saints!

To me, with its religious, epic, and sci-fi dimensions, DS9 is: Lord of the Rings meets Star Wars meets the Passion of the Christ. If that doesn't draw you in, nothing will.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Midshipman

I was 9 when DS9 started and h ad also been a heavy TNG fan. But for me it was being able to tune in every week and follow a true storyline per say instead of the episodic nothing is ever the same and only rarely sometimes ties in type of style that TNG and TOS offered. Sisko ended up also being my favorite commanding officer. His character. demeanor, and style is what kept me watching.