The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > What or who drew you in?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Lieutenant

Question What or who drew you in?

DS9 first started airing when I was around, 10 years old, I think?
I was already a die hard TNG fan, so I was not ready to accept this whole
new show without an Enterprise, haha.
So, I watched the first episode the night it aired, and it bored me. My
dad liked it, however.
So I just continued watching all my recorded VHS reruns of TNG for about
two years after TNG ended...occasionally, I'd watch parts of DS9 with my
parents.

Then, one evening, my dad kept laughing in the living room while watching
TV. I sat in the living room to see what was so funny, it was DS9.
"Little Green Men" was the first episode of DS9 to make me laugh and want
to watch more.

The more I watched, the more I learned of the interesting characters
and Dominion as well...By the time I was about 13, I was hooked.

Weyoun really helped with that, as well. He hypnotized me or something.

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I watched a few episode on TV while visiting my grandma, since I dont have cable. Then I got some (stupid chinese bootleged) dvds on ebay cheap so I picked them up and loved it. I eventually got the entire series on US DVD

Feel free to look at my Trek stuff (including Bedroom, prop replicas and STTE) available HERE
Old 02-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Emissary grabbed me right from the beginning and the series never let go despite the rare miss.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

What drew me in?

It was Star Trek. Being a fan was actually cool and in the year 1993, it was awesome to be a fan. You had TNG in season 6, DS9 starting, and a universe that was expanding into something epic. I had the same feeling with Voyager, but it died as that series went on. God I miss 1993 and 1994. Those were really special years.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Midshipman

DS9 was a challenge because the best part was also its weakest.
Kira and her conflict with the Cardasians was the real hook for me. At the same time, the politics and religious complexities of the Bajorn people were unbearable. I dropped out during the second season directly because of all that. There were episodes where I was literally dozing off.

Of course, I came back and just skipped those episodes the second time through. The pilot remains one of my favorite ST episodes of all time.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Lieutenant

If it was not for Bashir, Garak and Quark then I doubt I would have been as much of a fan. But it was more the writing of the show, the dark feel, the different look. Just made it feel new and therefore good !

HardyCofE
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I was never a fan of the TOS/TNG model of "visit a planet, sort out a problem, leave".

So the idea of focusing on one main location and exploring a few issues in depth appealed to me.

The darker tone and conflicted characters also drew me to the series.

I like character-based stories. I hate technobabble.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Lieutenant

I really enjoyed the dominion war, and the very unique stories...
Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Commander

I actually liked it because it was different. It was so weird and had all kinds of riff-raff aliens. The character of Garak and his relationship with Bashir, Quark and Odo. I always appreciated Chief O'Brien. Terry Farrel. The Dominion War was absolutely superb. It showed that Starfleet is the military, even earth and Starfleet will have some bad apples, war is an ugly thing but also that utopia is worth fighting for.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

My appeal to DS9 was that it was rather dynamic in a sense it was an outpost with many species, which i had always wanted to see more species in Star Trek and we didn't get that enough and we got that in DS9. They were on a station, they had to use runabouts then they got the defiant and it brought in another turn and twist to the show. We started to see a permanent presents of Klingons and even Romulans we saw massive space battles which we had never seen before and the list just goes on though my most appeal was the fact of all the different species.

The amount of dynamics in writing which we saw though stories just were off the hook, prime example was different looks at each character. One was a freedom fighter, another was a trill trying to find meaning though the friendship with his once old friend and station commander, to who the doctor was in finding who he was as an individual which we later find out he was enhanced which goes back to the TOS and KHAN and then we have the Mystery of Miles O'Brein and who he once was and this secretive past while also modeling his character after Scotty. You had Odo a changlink which is trying to find out who he is, in the way that Data was trying to figure out the question of who and why they exist and finding that meaning. Then we come back to Worf, which we knew in TNG though we didn't see who Worf was and in DS9 we really see a change in a sense of really being torn between his loyalty to the federation and his Klingon though he finally finds that he can serve both. Quark, another character which was rather interesting and by nature we got to know more about the species while dealing with his brother and the son which later goes to the academy. Then you had the Commander fighting with this religious faith and the Prophets placing this on him and his loyalty to why his wife had to die and the meaning of being the Prophet and being apart of the federation. Then you had Garak, the most mysterious character and outcast of his own species to live on a station while telling stories and not bring attention to himself while being a loyal person to his people still being an outcast. His charater was rather interesting and i could go on and on....