The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > 1984
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well it is sci-fi and, Orwell's perpetual war is not necessary very realistic but showed some old knowledge about wars, that they focus our attention away from interior policy.
Just take an example from your recent history, Bush's ratings were high in the immediate post 9/11 times, but went down afterwards as economic themes became more important.
Well said; despite what I said before, I was, and am, amazed by the complexity that Orwell built into 1984 and the failsafes for almost any potential revolt against Big Brother. I must say though that the second half was a bit... interesting, although I have a new view on torture. I did a project on Orwell, and he said that 1984 wouldn't have been so depressing if he hadn't been dying/sick.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
Well said; despite what I said before, I was, and am, amazed by the complexity that Orwell built into 1984 and the failsafes for almost any potential revolt against Big Brother. I must say though that the second half was a bit... interesting, although I have a new view on torture. I did a project on Orwell, and he said that 1984 wouldn't have been so depressing if he hadn't been dying/sick.
Glad you enjoy good literature at your age and even know interesting background stuff about the writer
I was a few years older than you when I read 1984 and discovered other good literature.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Yeah... you are probably right about the idea of "perpetual state of war"... being silly. I mean, we'd have to have a politician out there, wanting to stay in a conflict for 100 years, or longer, if need be.... (How likely is THAT?)

Um... oh... yeah, right....

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Glad you enjoy good literature at your age and even know interesting background stuff about the writer
I was a few years older than you when I read 1984 and discovered other good literature.
thanks - I pride myself on reading more than "The Outsiders" and the crap my school throws at us (although we read To Kill a Mockingbird this year, so I'm excited about that)

I can't wait until Dan Brown releases another book. the first 4 were so good.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Vice Admiral

The science of controlling the masses really begain in the early 20th century. Industries and governments paid lots of attention to Freud's idea of the subconcious and used his theories in their plans.

Example: women NEVER smoked in public - even bad girls - until the cigarette companies started appealing to women in the 1920's by calling cigarettes "torches of freedom," equating them to the torch of the statue of liberty & the suffragettes.

Also: Woodrow Wilson knew most Americans didn't want to fight in WWI, so he got a bunch of "experts" together to come up with catchy patriotic slogans that no one could argue with. ("Support our Troops" is a modern day example.)
Old 09-19-2008, 02:29 AM
Federation Councillor

So the world is a pretty screwed place..but I try to keep my little corner of it happy...