The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Harry Potter movie release pushed back....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Federation Councillor

I have to say that I was also a latecomer to the Harry Potter world, I didn't starte reading the books until after I had seen the second film, which I had enjoyed more than the first personally. However a friend who had been madly into them bought me a set of the first four in paperback and I ended up reading them all through in one go! What I like is the sheer effort Rowling has put into creating this world that exists alongside our own. It's a minutely detailed universe, which has allowed the films to have great visual depth and production quality which bring it to life wonderfully. And she is a good storyteller, she knows how to keep readers interested, how to unfold a plot, where to seed clues and when to give away a bit more of the bigger picture. I like that fact that as the kids get older, the story gets darker and the seriousness of the events grows. Some people can be sniffy about them, but that's just fair comment, everyone is enititled to their opinion!! I think secretly every one of us would like to have gone to a school like Hogwarts anyway!!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
I Haven't Ever Really Known Why So Many People Like Harry. There Are TONS Of Better movies And Stuff.

There are many who would ask, "Why did people like TOS? The sets were cheezy, the acting average, and the scripts were lame." And yet somehow, we do like Trek. It spoke to us in different ways - some of us like the adventure, some like the human dynamics, some like the technology. It's like the old saying about the forest being greater than the sum of it's trees.

Just because YOU think there are tons of better "movies and stuff" doesn't mean that we all have to like the same things. In fact, its a little insulting to insult things that other people like - kind of like saying, "I've got better taste than all of you."

Full disclosure: I would consider myself a bigger Potter fan than a Trek fan.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Admiral

I'd put my fandom level at close to equal for Potter and Trek. I agree with Jerhanner that just declaring that there is a lot of better stuff is insulting. If you dislike the Potter series then the title of the thread should have said "stay away".

I started reading the books about the time the third book was released, which was well before the first movie was made. I have severe issues with the final book, particularly what JKR did to Snape, but Half Blood Prince is my favorite book and the movie is being directed by the same man who turned my least favorite book (Order of the Phoenix) into my favorite movie....so, I'm quite excited about this movie.

Mission, I don't know if you followed the link (it includes a very cute Potter puppet production) but essentially Warner Brothers is doing exactly what Paramount has done with Star Trek. They view this movie as a potential tentpole for the summer. They anticipate it doing what The Dark Knight has done. They also note that, because of the writers strike, they don't have much in the works for next summer so feel they need to put one of their strongest movies in that slot.

My understanding is there are no production problems, that, in fact, the movie is largely done (there's a great teaser trailer out).

JKR's plan for the books (which has been followed by the movies) has been to grow in maturity as the characters age. By Deathly Hallows the kids are really much more interesting and fun as characters because they are young adults with all the insight, flaws and excitements of young adults. Let's face it, 11 year olds have limited appeal....but 18 year olds open up all sorts of possible interest.

As noted, there's really nothing unusual or difficult about having 18 and 20 year olds playing 17 and 19 year olds. Radcliff, in particular is youthful looking. Fortunately, he's honing his acting chops because Deathly Hallows is going to be a major challenge for him, unlike anything he's had to do in the rest of the series (face off against the scariest wizard ever? no problem....face off against a werewolf? child's play compared to what he has to deal with in Deathly Hallows.) We'll also probably get to see Helena Bonham Carter really let fly finally.....Bella Lestrange goes completely wickedly off the charts in Deathly Hallows.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Commander

oh man my hubby is going to be upset to hear this news, that sucks

Old 08-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
T

Full disclosure: I would consider myself a bigger Potter fan than a Trek fan.
Aye...I would declare myself a bigger "Potter" fan than I am a "Trek" or "Wars" fan, and I grew up on that stuff.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

I am a big Emma Watson fan. She clearly seemed the most experienced of all the young actors in the first film, but all the other kids have really shone since. There's also a CG animated movie coming out about a courageous, big eared mouse that she has a voice role in. I forget the name of the movie, but it's also based on a popular childrens' book.

But I will say that Daniel Radcliffe has really come into his own....and he's pursued projects outside of Harry Potter that really will blow any stereotypes anyone might try to pin on him.

He's done a stage play of Equus, and he's in an upcoming movie (I believe for the BBC) that takes place (I think) during WWI, where he plays the son of Rudyard Kipling. I don't think Daniel's gonna have to worry about stereotypes.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Radcliffe is a smart young man. He knows he's getting to work with some of the best people in the business so he's taking advantage of that and learning all he can. He knows he has to keep from getting stereotyped but do it without alienating the Potter fans.

Rupert Grint (Ron) is also showing some smarts, investing money in non-movie businesses so, should acting turn out not to be a lifelong career, he'll have something else.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Harry Potter series of movies has really lucked out with the caliber of people involved, from the kids, all the way up to the veterans.

I was saddened when Richard Harris died. He really played Dumbledore well, and was one of my all-time favorite actors. Sir Michael Gambon also does an excellent job with the role.

And Alan Rickman as Severus Snape....I could NOT imagine anyone else in the role.

I fell in love with Natalia Tena, who plays Nymphadora Tonks in Order of the Phoenix. (Turns out, she seems to be a musician too, which just doubles my amorous attitude towards her. )

Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Vice Admiral

I Like Emma Too. I May Even Have A C**** On Her!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
I Like Emma Too. I May Even Have A C**** On Her!
Yeah, she's rather easy on the eyes. (I can say that, now that she's legal!)