The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Harry Potter movie release pushed back....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Default Harry Potter movie release pushed back....

And we thought Christmas to May was harsh! The new HP movie was slated for November 21....it is now scheduled for July 17!

Gosh, and I'd been hoping to see a Trek trailer with Potter....

Of course, now, I can reverse the hope....maybe Trek will feature a really great Potter trailer.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Rear Admiral

Now, this will be the 6th Potter movie, right? They just released The Order of the Phoenix. And the 7th book will be in two movies... right?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Correct on both counts, KJ.

And count me amongst the irked at this move to push back HBP. However, that also does mean that the wait between HBP and the two part Deathly Hallows will not be as long.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if HP got moved back for the same reason they moved TREK from December to the next summer? WB now wants HP to be their summer tentpole? Interesting.

As for the wait between HBP and DH being shorter -- it depends WHY HBP got moved back. If they can keep the proposed start-production date for DH without also moving that back, then yes it might shorten the gap.

At first I thought the cast aging was going to be a huge drawback to the extended film series (if it lasted through all the books) -- now as they've progressed and the stories have gotten considerably darker, I see it's become an asset in a way. No doubt as the films' original audience is aging right along with it -- unlike the SW prequels, in which GL turned the clock back and geared the most recent 3 films to a teen audience much more than his original now-adult fanbase.

Question for you HP experts (Eliza and any others game for it): how are the ages of the 'kids' in the books comparing to the ages of the cast by now? And are the actors having to play younger than their own ages at this point?

I gather the movies tended to cover a chronological year (give or take) early on, but I'm not sure they're so strict still? Your educational insights would be welcome!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Rear Admiral

Well, I know all of the cast is over 20 now, and the cast should all be only 18 at the end of DH (excluding the epilogue). It doesn't really bother me, but the "innocence" we got from the Sorcerer's Stone was lost very early on because of the difference.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Studios are such fickle creatures! I had only just watched the trailer and was looking forward to it.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post

Question for you HP experts (Eliza and any others game for it): how are the ages of the 'kids' in the books comparing to the ages of the cast by now? And are the actors having to play younger than their own ages at this point?

I gather the movies tended to cover a chronological year (give or take) early on, but I'm not sure they're so strict still? Your educational insights would be welcome!
Radcliffe jsut turned 19; Harry turns 17 at the beginning of book 7.

Watson just turned 18; Hermione was 17 at the end of HBP.

Grint is going to be 20 next week; Ron was 17 at the end of HBP.

So in "Hollywood Years," they're not all that far off, since they're filming book 7 right now. And yes, each book covered a school year. The movies seem to be following that right to the end, although where on earth they came up with attacks on the Burrow and Hogwart's for HPB is beyond me.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
And we thought Christmas to May was harsh! The new HP movie was slated for November 21....it is now scheduled for July 17!

Gosh, and I'd been hoping to see a Trek trailer with Potter....

Of course, now, I can reverse the hope....maybe Trek will feature a really great Potter trailer.
I Haven't Ever Really Known Why So Many People Like Harry. There Are TONS Of Better movies And Stuff.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

Speaking for myself, the Harry Potter franchise is "Star Wars" for this generation.

I was right there with you Josh, when I'd first heard of this viral popularity of Harry Potter. I was like: "What's the big frackin' deal?"

Well, I'd never read any of the books at that point (around 2001 I think it was), but the movie was coming out. I went to see it strictly out of curiosity. My curiosity was rewarded with compelling, imaginative storytelling, and a great cast of characters. I was hooked.

I didn't start reading the books until after I'd seen Chamber of Secrets (the second story)...and then at that, I'd started with Prisoner of Azkaban in the book series. I will eventually go back and read the first two books.

The interplay and interpersonal relationship between Harry, Ron, and Hermione is almost like that of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. They have their ups, and their downs, but are ultimately inseparable....and together, it seems there is nothing they cannot accomplish.

I also like the character of Severus Snape. Probably the most rollercoaster of any of the characters as far as his attitudes toward Harry, and toward Hogwart's in general.

I also felt the whole "There are tons of better movies and stuff" with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Honestly, I'd had no interest in the books, and little to no interest in the movies. In fact, the first time I tried to watch Fellowship of the Ring, I was asleep in 20 minutes. This actually happened to me twice with that film. Finally, I just bought the whole trilogy on DVD (the theatrical versions....not the uber-extended versions), and I was blown away. I still prefer Harry Potter over LOTR, but it was still a compelling and wonderful story series.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
I Haven't Ever Really Known Why So Many People Like Harry. There Are TONS Of Better movies And Stuff.
Well, that's always a subjective determination for anyone.

I had started to read the book series and found them quite enjoyable reads, but I simply lost the leisure time to continue reading. I got far enough to understand why the stories were popular and thought that so far the films were good, entertaining adaptations of very successful novels.

It's seemed to 'aim' a bit younger than I thought STAR WARS did originally, but that hit when I was 14 so I might have been older than the youngest of fans. But I'd certainly go along with HP filling the 'mythology' hunger in young audiences, as SW did way back when.

The stories also have that 'secret world' angle going for them, which young kids (especially young readers) really enjoy -- it's a natural theme to spark youthful imaginations.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!