The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Phelps Did It!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Yikes! I hope your back is feeling better.....or, at least that the pharmacy gave you great drugs.

I think Mission's point is well taken. As we get closer to release date on the movie, taking a few moments to think about how to word a title so it's intriguing but not a spoiler is going to be important.

"Live" on the west coast is usually "recorded from an earlier broadcast" because otherwise, we'd be getting that programing at 5 in the evening....which is not a big audience time....

Early football rocks though!

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Yikes! I hope your back is feeling better.....or, at least that the pharmacy gave you great drugs.

I think Mission's point is well taken. As we get closer to release date on the movie, taking a few moments to think about how to word a title so it's intriguing but not a spoiler is going to be important.

"Live" on the west coast is usually "recorded from an earlier broadcast" because otherwise, we'd be getting that programing at 5 in the evening....which is not a big audience time....

Early football rocks though!
In all seriousness, I never would have thought about the time difference, so I'm glad it came up as a subject now, instead of AFTER I post something and ruin the story for someone.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

We live in a world of instant information and while it would be great to see first hand the drama of the event, I understand if I turn on the radio or go online to CNN I'm going to hear about it before I'm able to see it. I can't fault tomcatjosh because I probably would have posted the same topic.

Blame NBC for their coverage. This is a world event so broadcast it live. After all, how many millions did it cost them?

And this is far and away different from the expectations of an announced event; such as the premiere of a particular sci-fi movie next spring.

Last edited by Gary Seven : 08-17-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Vice Admiral

I Agree With Gary.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Lieutenant

great for Phelps! thanks for the update!

what is the controversy over Mark Spitz not being invited to watch?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusapartner View Post
great for Phelps! thanks for the update!

what is the controversy over Mark Spitz not being invited to watch?
The IOC didn't invite him to Beijing to watch Phelps swim, which seems a little... odd? petty?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Lieutenant

yes, I think that it was petty.

I still remember Spitz winning those medals at the 1972 Munich Olympics. One of the good memories of that Olympics where so many athletes were murdered by terrorists.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Commander

saw it too, not having much sleep. It was a nice one and a close one. For a second there, I though he didn't do it

Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's not only a matter of 3-hour delays in west coast broadcasts -- posting a spoiler or result in a title thread just isn't very considerate in any time zone. The entire point of the spoiler codes and 'spoiler only' sections on forums is to give readers a CHOICE in learning information or not. By posting a result or spoiler in a topic title, readers get that choice taken away from them before they even can react. Not very fair to others.

This will apply to STAR TREK spoilers as much as sports results or Harry Potter book endings.

It's very easy to type a generic title subject and either add "Spoilers" to it or put a beginning message in spoiler hiding code. That's just basic good policy on discussion boards and worthy for all of us to follow -- it'll sure make a better, fun forum when the TREK secrets really start arriving through the grapevine! We'll all benefit from that. Good times!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Admiral

I agree with Mission. I'll actually say I would understand a total spoiler about a TREK thing far more than a sports thing here simply because we come to this board to discuss Trek. Just as I expect to see a "what already happened in Beijing that you won't see until midnight" headline on CNN, I sort of expect a Trek spoiler here....but, CNN wouldn't post a Trek spoiler headling....they know that unsuspecting Trek fans wouldn't expect that.

As I've said elsewhere, this isn't a chatroom. There's no reason not to take a deep breath and think about others before typing a title. It really will help if we all abide by the spirit of the forum and, as Mission has noted, the mere presence of the Spoiler tags tells us that we should use them and, even if you didn't get that, the Terms of Use has a specific mention of the Spoiler Tags and an admonition to use them.

(yes, yes....I know that this was just a little blip.....but my concern is the future and I want us all to show respect for the sensiblities of the other posters even if we, ourselves, don't see something as a "big deal")

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!