The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Clone Wars..Martok's quickie review
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Vice Admiral

Star Wars Won't Do Good. I Can Tell The Trek Fanbase Is Starting To Rebuild, Since The New Movie Was Announced.Star Wars Is Going To Fall. It Didn't Market Itself Enough On Adult TV. That Is A Bad Move That May Take Years To Recover From.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
Star Wars Won't Do Good. I Can Tell The Trek Fanbase Is Starting To Rebuild, Since The New Movie Was Announced.Star Wars Is Going To Fall. It Didn't Market Itself Enough On Adult TV. That Is A Bad Move That May Take Years To Recover From.
I'm not sure if you're speaking of the franchise of Star Wars, or just the Clone Wars movie. If you refer to just the movie, I agree....it ain't gonna last long.

But as a franchise:
Star Wars is in no danger of falling. As with Trek, it has a loyal fanbase, regardless of some of the felgercarb they felt ol' George has pushed out. There's still plenty of Star Wars material for fans to enjoy, and indeed find moreso than some found the prequel trilogy to be. Star Wars may be in a slump, at worst, but is certainly in no danger of falling...to be fair about it, at least, no more of a danger of falling than Trek was (and still is).

Last edited by martok2112 : 08-16-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'd agree with Martok on that -- and if anything, it strikes me that CLONE WARS is geared to even younger (potential) fans of STAR WARS, and not really my original generation at all. Younger audiences who would prefer CG animation to live action, much like today's kids were raised on Pixar animation instead of classic Disney cel animation.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I'd agree with Martok on that -- and if anything, it strikes me that CLONE WARS is geared to even younger (potential) fans of STAR WARS, and not really my original generation at all. Younger audiences who would prefer CG animation to live action, much like today's kids were raised on Pixar animation instead of classic Disney cel animation.
I agree with both of you!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

I agree with your agreements.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Vice Admiral

I Wonder If This Could Be A Response To Trek?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

No. Definitely not. As far as I know, George has nothing but the fondest of feelings for Trek, and has said on many occasions that he's not out to compete with anyone or anything. (Although there was friendly competition between himself and his longtime friend Steven Spielberg for their movies. I remember when Star Wars overtook ET as top grossing box office with the release of the Special Editions, they had a little ceremony where ET handed a crown over to R2-D2. That was a symbolic of the friendships of George and Steven.) But as far as competing with anyone else, or even responding to anyone else, no. That's not his desire. George just likes to make movies....period.

And as for this movie, this was just something to herald in the new upcoming animated series.

Even if George were to release a big screen movie to herald the upcoming live action TV show, I don't think it would do very well.....perhaps better than the Clone Wars movie by a mile....but nowhere near as well as the previous Star Wars films. The ultimate success of Clone Wars will lie in the upcoming series, not this movie.

No, this is not a response to Trek.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

THE CLONE WARS has absolutely zero to do with TREK -- they're trains going in different directions on different tracks.

Though they are both movies.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
THE CLONE WARS has absolutely zero to do with TREK -- they're trains going in different directions on different tracks.

Though they are both movies.
And they're waving at each other like the best of friends as they do so.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

True that, and good point: as noted before, they're not competing at all. Two franchises chugging along.