The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Clone Wars..Martok's quickie review
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Clone Wars..Martok's quickie review

Well, I saw it.

It certainly isn't a blockbuster by any means.....but, the FX are definitely big screen.

What worked visually:
Starships (especially capital ships), droids, laser blasts, lightsabers, and some of the more epic battles.

What didn't work, visually:
Yeah, some of the characters looked really wooden....or like they belonged in one of those 60's/70's holiday stop motion cartoons.

What worked storywise:
The Anakin/Ashoka dynamic. Ashoka was just cute as a button, and spunky. A perfect foil for Anakin, who now has to come to terms with the notion that he must take on the role of Master.

What didn't work:
History's a bit screwy. Does Anakin wish to be a Jedi master or not? In this movie, he's reluctant, to downright dismissive of the idea of becoming a master. In Sith, it was his heart's desire. Perhaps this movie is the catalyst for his strong desire to become a master in Sith.

Some of the voice acting.....definitely cartoon television quality....except for the likes of Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Daniels, and Christopher Lee, who reprise their roles of Mace Windu, C-3P0, and Count Dooku respectively, and effectively.

There's much more detail I could go into. I think this movie is at least worth matinee admission....and a good escape for younglings. I enjoyed it because of some of the humor, and the action (this movie is chock full of action). It felt like Star Wars to me, although it misfires with a lot of history.

Bottom line: I found this to be an interesting and fun way to kill a couple of hours. Even if these are just opening TV episodes transferred to the big screen....they transferred nicely.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Vice Admiral

Can I hold off and see it on DVD? Or is it a 'big-screen' thing?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Hi, Jerhanner,

You can definitely hold off. I mean, it transferred nicely to the big screen....but I think really only the hardest of hardcore Star Wars fans (or someone like meself ) would go to actually see this one. I'm definitely not expecting this to do blockbuster (or even respectable) box office.

As I understand it, this movie is really just nothing more than the first few episodes, strung together as a feature film.

I will admit, I damn near walked out at the very beginning because the narrator's voice (mercifully kept to the beginning of this movie) sounded so hokey. At first, I thought, ok...it's just someone narrating a newsreel for the holonet. But it was actually what should've been the opening crawl like in the live-action Star Wars movies.

The movie opens with the familiar: "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...." text. So there was this big grin on my face. I was hoping it would open like a live action version, with "STAR WARS" sailing back into the void, followed by the opening crawl. Well, you see the "Star THE CLONE WARS Wars" logo go back instead, and then it cuts right to the action with the cheesy narrator voice. (The voice of the narrator is Tom Kane, who also voices Master Yoda in many Star Wars projects....the cartoon Clone Wars series, and several Star Wars video games.)

In short, Jerhanner, yes, you can wait.

Afraid I'm not good at using the spoiler tags, but I imagine there won't be many among this set that will actually go and see the movie. Apologies if I spoiled anything for anyone.

Last edited by martok2112 : 08-15-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

The reviewer for NPR basically said, "It's there... it's not great, it's not bad, but it's just sorta... just there. Much like that 20oz bottle cap you keep in your desk drawer at work, the one you thought was good for two bottles of Pepsi when you bought just one but turned out it really wasn't? You keep meaning to throw it out, but you just never seem to bother?

Yeah. Like that. That's what "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" is all about."

About two hours, in air conditioning on a summer afternoon. Matinee. Or maybe a $1 flick.

The NPR reviewer said that he couldn't believe he was saying it, but he thought "he'd rather go see "Traveling Pants 2" than sit through this animated excuse for toy advertising again. "

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
The reviewer for NPR basically said, "It's there... it's not great, it's not bad, but it's just sorta... just there. Much like that 20oz bottle cap you keep in your desk drawer at work, the one you thought was good for two bottles of Pepsi when you bought just one but turned out it really wasn't? You keep meaning to throw it out, but you just never seem to bother?

Yeah. Like that. That's what "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" is all about."

About two hours, in air conditioning on a summer afternoon. Matinee. Or maybe a $1 flick.

The NPR reviewer said that he couldn't believe he was saying it, but he thought "he'd rather go see "Traveling Pants 2" than sit through this animated excuse for toy advertising again. "

I could easily agree with the first part of his review. It's there...not great, not bad, just sorta there. And the part about the matinee or $1 flick.

I can also agree it seems sad that Star Wars has joined the ranks of other cartoons that were nothing more than animated toy advertisements. (GI Joe, He Man and the Masters of the Universe, etc.) Then again, lots of folks feel that even the original Star Wars was nothing but a big two hour live-action toy advertisement.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Do you Think This Could Be Competition For The trek Movie?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I doubt it josh. Even huge blockbusters only make their money in the first few weeks of being in the theatres. By the time Trek XI is out, (next spring) this will be gone from the screens and playing on TV (along with the rest of the Star Wars animated series)

And, as we've been noticing, the reviews just aren't that good.

martok, when the first Star Wars movie came out in 77, there weren't any toys to go along with the release. If you are old enough to remember that time, you might also remember that the retailers actually sold an "empty box" as a way of preordering the action figures that Christmas. There were a LOT of disappointed kids that year... although, I understand that if you actually have one of those boxes, it one of the hottest collectibles out there... (nobody kept them, once the figures came in.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Federation Councillor

I'm much more intrigued by the live action series (whenever we may see it!) but I may get it on rental. I saw the trailer and it honestly didn't entice me to go and see it, but curiosity inevitably will!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Rear Admiral

I think although the style of animation in intriguing, it really looks stupid... not worth my time since I don't really have a stake in the Star Wars franchise.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I doubt it josh. Even huge blockbusters only make their money in the first few weeks of being in the theatres. By the time Trek XI is out, (next spring) this will be gone from the screens and playing on TV (along with the rest of the Star Wars animated series)

And, as we've been noticing, the reviews just aren't that good.

martok, when the first Star Wars movie came out in 77, there weren't any toys to go along with the release. If you are old enough to remember that time, you might also remember that the retailers actually sold an "empty box" as a way of preordering the action figures that Christmas. There were a LOT of disappointed kids that year... although, I understand that if you actually have one of those boxes, it one of the hottest collectibles out there... (nobody kept them, once the figures came in.)
Oh, aye, believe me, I'm old enough to remember that "empty box" ad. I was 8 when Star Wars first came out. I didn't anticipate (and certainly never got) that "empty box" set....I was amazed that my parents actually got me a "Six Million Dollar Man" with bionic grip for my birthday that year, given that they hated my passion for space movies and shows.

My comment about some folks thinking that even the original Star Wars might be a two hour ad for toys was more or less for those who might have come into the whole "Star Wars" thing a bit later than most.

A lot of folks mistakenly make that assessment. Some folks (not many, but some) are actually ignorant enough to say the same thing about Trek...and it's usually those who aren't into sci-fi...especially something as heady as Trek.

And I honestly believe this movie won't last but a couple weeks in the theaters. This particular movie won't even be a pimple on Star Trek's (or Star Wars') choobies.