The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Christopher Pike
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
That actually fits with what was described by one cast member in an interview a while back. Not to be cryptic or anything ...

I do belive you are right...but can they be trusted?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Admiral

I've never been a fan of the idea Kirk and Spock are close in age or that they met at the Academy. I know that's what the Okuda's say but it doesn't jive....In the Enterprise Incident the Romulan Commander asks Spock how long he has been a star fleet officer and the answer is 18 years. Kirk says in The Deadly Years that he's 34 years old....By my math, Spock was an officer when Kirk was 16. I think that takes the "Academy meeting" away.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I do belive you are right...but can they be trusted?
Zardoz, are you saying that there may be a misinformation campaign out there to deceive the public like the Area 51 cover up? I just can't believe it (yeah right).
Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky D View Post
Zardoz, are you saying that there may be a misinformation campaign out there to deceive the public like the Area 51 cover up? I just can't believe it (yeah right).
Chucky, having been ot Area 51, I can assure you there's nothing but an empty hanger on an old air force base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I've never been a fan of the idea Kirk and Spock are close in age or that they met at the Academy. I know that's what the Okuda's say but it doesn't jive....In the Enterprise Incident the Romulan Commander asks Spock how long he has been a star fleet officer and the answer is 18 years. Kirk says in The Deadly Years that he's 34 years old....By my math, Spock was an officer when Kirk was 16. I think that takes the "Academy meeting" away.
I tend to agree, but having Spock be a "guest lecturer" at the academy still makes the "academy meeting" idea work.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Chucky, having been ot Area 51, I can assure you there's nothing but an empty hanger on an old air force base.

I tend to agree, but having Spock be a "guest lecturer" at the academy still makes the "academy meeting" idea work.
It would be fun to see them meet there. I can imagine Kirk asking an immature question trying to show off and Spock coming back with some intellectually emotionless dig to put him in his place.

As for Area 51, I'm the one who got away (sshh....don't tell anyone).
Old 08-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky D View Post
Awesome breakdown Horatio!!!!
More Speculation - Not Official Spoiler
That's a lovely idea, Chucky, to show how the slowly come together as crew and friends. I guess one could fit e.g. Scotty to Pike's crew, some other to Kirk on the Farragut e.g. McCoy and let him befriend Kirk there and the other of the 7 could serve somewhere else.
I am yet not sure about the Farragut, we only heard about the Kelvin so far and info about the Farragut's caotain should have spread by now. Or in short, I love your idea but consider it unlikely. I think the crew should come together a little bit before they start the five-year mission.

Quote:
Thanks Eliza, Spock's birth year was established as 2232 in a TAS episode, so we should not take this as canon, but I think "Journey to Babel" indicated that Spock joined Starfleet around 2250 just like Kirk, but I have to rewatch and rather trust your deeper knowledge about TOS.
You are right that it would fit Spock better to be significantly older than Kirk, to give him this little mentor role. And after all we should expect Vulcans to take more time for basic education than humans with shorter life spans and a Vulcan show look as old as a human should be let's say 1.5 as old if Vulcans' average lifespans are 1.5 times human ones.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:51 AM
Midshipman

Default Who is Pike?

For those who wish to delve deeper into the character of Christopher Pike might I suggest reading the book "Burning Dreams". It is both a look back and features a present day Spock (TOS / Film era) who is called upon once again to help his Captain on Talos IV. You really get to know about some of the losses Pike has endured and what shaped his character. It is quite good.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
And after all we should expect Vulcans to take more time for basic education than humans with shorter life spans and a Vulcan show look as old as a human should be let's say 1.5 as old if Vulcans' average lifespans are 1.5 times human ones.
Assuming that the average Human lifespan is now 150. Sarek was over 200 when he died, probably the Vulcan equivalent of someone in their 70s.

Barring accidents, Spock should live to see the mid 25th-Century...
Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Thanks Eliza, Spock's birth year was established as 2232 in a TAS episode, so we should not take this as canon, but I think "Journey to Babel" indicated that Spock joined Starfleet around 2250 just like Kirk, but I have to rewatch and rather trust your deeper knowledge about TOS.
You are right that it would fit Spock better to be significantly older than Kirk, to give him this little mentor role. And after all we should expect Vulcans to take more time for basic education than humans with shorter life spans and a Vulcan show look as old as a human should be let's say 1.5 as old if Vulcans' average lifespans are 1.5 times human ones.
I think the only references in Journey to Babel are to how long it's been since Spock visited his parents (4 years) and how long it's been since Spock and Sarek interacted as father and son (18 years). Again, in The Enterprise Incident, Spock tells the Romulan commander that he has been a Star Fleet Officer for 18 years. It's entirely possible that the rift between them did not get serious until Sarek realized that this wasn't a whim, but a career choice, it might not have been a rift during Spock's time at the Academy or even his first years in the Fleet.

Which episode of The Animated Series is supposed to establish Spock's date of birth? I just reviewed Yesteryear, which would have seemed the most likely. It suggests Spock is 37 at that time, though there isn't a distinction as to whether that's human years or Vulcan years (Sarek tells us they are different in Journey to Babel).

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Captain

Quote:
I think the only references in Journey to Babel are to how long it's been since Spock visited his parents (4 years) and how long it's been since Spock and Sarek interacted as father and son (18 years). Again, in The Enterprise Incident, Spock tells the Romulan commander that he has been a Star Fleet Officer for 18 years. It's entirely possible that the rift between them did not get serious until Sarek realized that this wasn't a whim, but a career choice, it might not have been a rift during Spock's time at the Academy or even his first years in the Fleet.

Which episode of The Animated Series is supposed to establish Spock's date of birth? I just reviewed Yesteryear, which would have seemed the most likely. It suggests Spock is 37 at that time, though there isn't a distinction as to whether that's human years or Vulcan years (Sarek tells us they are different in Journey to Babel).

I have a feeling that as in all long storylines, some small details will either be conveniently overlooked or blatently ignored. Exact ages and specific dates may be 2 of them.