The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The Lost Races of TOS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Botany Bay's Avatar
Botany Bay Botany Bay is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,112
Default

There where some episodes of TNG that would have been perfect to star TOS cultures. A visually little updated (and less hippiesque) version of the People from "The Apple" would have been just perfect for the TNG episode "Who Watches the Watchers". Kirk destroying their God and now they easily believe space farers to be gods. Makes sense, doesnt it.

Star Trek Insurrection could have restarred them again revealing more. The eternal life could have been made possible by the same source that originally powered the "God" that Kirk destroyed. It would also have explained why Picard feels so much responsibility for their culture. Admirality on the other hand could have argued, that Federation had fumbled arround so much in their culture allready, that another intervenance more or less isnt seen as something tragic.

Things like that could have given Trek a little more continuity.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
USS_Essex's Avatar
USS_Essex USS_Essex is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 393
Default

Well I counted 8 species that no longer exists. 3 of which are due to the intereference of Kirk and crew. But not really, as they were only protecting themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
USS_Essex's Avatar
USS_Essex USS_Essex is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
There where some episodes of TNG that would have been perfect to star TOS cultures. A visually little updated (and less hippiesque) version of the People from "The Apple" would have been just perfect for the TNG episode "Who Watches the Watchers". Kirk destroying their God and now they easily believe space farers to be gods. Makes sense, doesnt it.

Star Trek Insurrection could have restarred them again revealing more. The eternal life could have been made possible by the same source that originally powered the "God" that Kirk destroyed. It would also have explained why Picard feels so much responsibility for their culture. Admirality on the other hand could have argued, that Federation had fumbled arround so much in their culture allready, that another intervenance more or less isnt seen as something tragic.

Things like that could have given Trek a little more continuity.
I know it's not canon but they did address this race again in the comics. As a result of Kirk killing their god, they became war like. And in comes Kirk and crew, again, to save the race.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I've always thought they should have brought back the Beta Iotians... I think it would have been incredible fun having a race of "30's gangsters" tooling around the universe, having found the secret to warp drive.
The Iotians could have found a new "bible" or adopted the behaviour of aspecies they met, so one could have shown them in space without revealing instantaneously that these are indeed the folks from "A Piece of the Action", but then again this potential show would not have been as funny.
Or it would have been interesting to see the Horizon's visit on the planet and see how they lived before they became the Al Capones. Could have happened only in a post-ENT Horizon show though which runs in a parallel universe by the way, or in fan-fic of course.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 AM
USS_Essex's Avatar
USS_Essex USS_Essex is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The Iotians could have found a new "bible" or adopted the behaviour of aspecies they met, so one could have shown them in space without revealing instantaneously that these are indeed the folks from "A Piece of the Action", but then again this potential show would not have been as funny.
Or it would have been interesting to see the Horizon's visit on the planet and see how they lived before they became the Al Capones. Could have happened only in a post-ENT Horizon show though which runs in a parallel universe by the way, or in fan-fic of course.
Well McCoy did leave his communicator behind. So who knows what they could do with transtator technology.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 AM
[crazy]girl's Avatar
[crazy]girl [crazy]girl is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: mars colony, 2050
Posts: 118
Default

if i remember correctly, cherons killed themselves...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [crazy]girl View Post
if i remember correctly, cherons killed themselves...
We don't know that. We only saw them chasing and fighting on the planet. If we use human terms to their childbearing, yes they would die out. But for all we know the Cherons could be asexual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The Iotians could have found a new "bible" or adopted the behaviour of aspecies they met, so one could have shown them in space without revealing instantaneously that these are indeed the folks from "A Piece of the Action", but then again this potential show would not have been as funny.
Or it would have been interesting to see the Horizon's visit on the planet and see how they lived before they became the Al Capones. Could have happened only in a post-ENT Horizon show though which runs in a parallel universe by the way, or in fan-fic of course.
I would assume they would have figured out the communicator, and have had some mutated version of the TOS era.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."

Last edited by Zardoz : 08-18-2008 at 05:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 AM
[crazy]girl's Avatar
[crazy]girl [crazy]girl is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: mars colony, 2050
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
We don't know that. We only saw them chasing and fighting on the planet. If we use human terms to their childbearing, yes they would die out. But for all we know the Cherons could be asexual...
true, or one of them could be female..

But then we have the problem of the distroyed planets



Quote:
I would assume they would have figured out the communicator, and have had some mutated version of the TOS era.
translator>warpdrive
but, they don't have related technologies
the people at starfleet dropped the ball encoding specs in the communicators
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [crazy]girl View Post
true, or one of them could be female..

But then we have the problem of the distroyed planets
The damage didn't look like it was anything like atomics, ect. So things would grow back.

Very true one of them could be female, or some analog thereof.


Quote:
Originally Posted by [crazy]girl View Post
translator>warpdrive
but, they don't have related technologies
the people at starfleet dropped the ball encoding specs in the communicators
I don't kno,w they went from a pre industrial/agricultural society to a 1930's society with only a book to guide them, and the book had no technical refrences.

Spock also noted they wer gifted mimics at technology.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 AM
[crazy]girl's Avatar
[crazy]girl [crazy]girl is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: mars colony, 2050
Posts: 118
Default

also true, but do note that over 150 years technologicaly they could advance quite a bit, so the book may've been used for govermental purpoes only


what if they left a copy of the prime directive.. that would be interesting
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.