The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > List The Many Reasons Why Star Trek is better than Star Wars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoseagoodgirl View Post
I agree! Just as belief in evolution doesn't preclude the existence of a god... or vice a versa... One can be a fan of Star Trek without feeling that it is a superior example of Science Fiction to that of Star Wars. Remember... They're both Science Fiction!!
Welcome to the boards, Whoseagoodgirl.

Indeed, one can have a preference of one over the other without necessarily berating the other.

However...enter the "fan-atics":

When I was deep in the whole "Galactica fanwar" debacle (which still has fits and spurts on occasion), I had a couple of Yahoo groups (actually that still exist, but with minimal activity), one of which was meant for the classic based fanfictions of the original show. At first, I allowed discussion of all things Galactica, which included the new series (and as I stated before, I love both series). Well, the die-hard classic fans that hated the new show became extremely vociferous in their distaste of the new show, to the point of launching personal attacks against Ronald D. Moore (whom I've had a few correspondences with, and is a really cool guy), and against Richard Hatch, whom many OS Galactica fans supported when he was campaigning his "Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming" project, and then decided, despite his vocal opposition to the new show, to join the new show as a recurring character. Some of those OS Galactica fans went through the roof, proclaiming Richard to be a "traitor to the cause of the one true Galactica". That his 180 was a slap in the face to the original Galactica, and to its fans.

But, I digress.

The OS fans at my group would engage in these personal attacks against Ronald and Richard. To try and squelch some of this stuff, first I allowed a "Frackin' Friday" event. Every Friday, the OS fans could vent about the new series, as long as they did not engage in personal attack. Apparently, some of them didn't get the last part of that message. Frackin' Friday became the only day that had any kind of traffic after a short while. This discouraged me, especially when I was in the middle of writing a sequel to my well received Galactica fanfic "Dark Exodus" (a sequel that, after three years, is still unfinished). All these folks wanted to do was b**ch about the new show and its cast and crew, instead of comment on the various fanfics that were being posted there. (There were a few authors contributing to the group.)

My next step was to take a more aggressive, scolding tone with them. "Go ahead! Blast your fellow man just because he's trying to make a living! How 'bout I just go ahead and shut this group down?!" Well, that seemed to shut them up....except for one. There was a brief exchange of how he said he could shoot down ANY reason why I thought the new series was a good show. So, I got into one of my long-winded posts...and had to break up the post because it was too long...

...speaking of which...

...to be continued....

Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

...continued....

When I resumed my second post, I opened it like this: "This is Lorne Greene. Here are some exciting highlights from the last post of Martok2112."

OMG, that guy went ape-s**t! He says (something to the effect of): "How dare you invoke the name of a good and decent man like Lorne Greene to defend that vile show you love so much. You, sir, have no scruples! You, sir, have lost a member!"

Well....I didn't lose any sleep over it. But, I was all about keeping the peace. So, much as it pained me, I thereafter banned any further discussion or mention of the new Battlestar Galactica at that group. That included praise, trashing, or just general statements about the show. But, it helped keep the peace.....even though you still had those who were just chomping at the bit to blast the new series, because they weren't happy if they weren't b**ching!

Eventually, months later, I invited that guy back, citing the changes I'd made to my group. All's well for now....just that the group has had miniscule activity....and it doesn't help that the fanwar sucked away any inspiration I had to finish "Reciprocity" my sequel to "Dark Exodus".

My bottom line with those folks was: "This group was meant to be a celebration of the original series. And celebrations do NOT have to involve trashing something else."

Sadly, Battlestar Galactica is not an isolated case of "fanwars".

Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Martok,

I won't requote all the above but you're very right. It all comes down to personal choice, I enjoy many cult TV shows and some I enjoy more than others, some of them I don't like at all. But I would never engage in such a pointless excercise as trying to prove that I have better taste in TV or that mine is more worthy. Like what shows and films you want to like - no-one has to justify their favourites. On BSG I'm a massive fan of the new Galactica, but I've only really seen the TV/Theatrical version of the original pilot movie - but I enjoy that as well! I'm just to young to have caught it when it aired here. But I also like the 1970s 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century' series (not the second with the Searcher, that was rubbish, but the first!) - why don't they remake that?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Martok,

I won't requote all the above but you're very right. It all comes down to personal choice, I enjoy many cult TV shows and some I enjoy more than others, some of them I don't like at all. But I would never engage in such a pointless excercise as trying to prove that I have better taste in TV or that mine is more worthy. Like what shows and films you want to like - no-one has to justify their favourites. On BSG I'm a massive fan of the new Galactica, but I've only really seen the TV/Theatrical version of the original pilot movie - but I enjoy that as well! I'm just to young to have caught it when it aired here. But I also like the 1970s 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century' series (not the second with the Searcher, that was rubbish, but the first!) - why don't they remake that?
But that Buck was itself a remake of the 1930's and 1940's serials with Buster Crabbe, which in soem respects was alot better than the 70's/Early 80's Tv show.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

And... if you go back to the original comics of Buck Rodgers, you'll find that not even the serial was very faithful to them. In the original comics, Buck wakes up after being in an accident in a mine shaft, where a strange mix of gasses kept him in suspended animation for 500 years. When he wakes up, he finds the Earth has changed totally. The US has become a bombed out third world nation, while China and Mongolia are the technologically advanced society. Buck spends a lot of his time in the strip getting captured by the "Mongol Empire" while rescuing Wilma from the clutches of the emperor (who has naturally fallen in lust with her.) In the comic strip, Buck doesn't even leave Earth for space until the strip is almost 20 years old!

But, and here's the interesting part... does any of the plotline seem familliar? Hummm... guy goes into accidental suspended animation... wakes up, finds world changed... spends his time fighting to restore the world...

OMG! Buck is actually the forebear of GENISIS II !!!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think there are talks of (I believe it's Disney) doing an animated Buck Rogers, and it will supposedly be more akin to the comic strips than the serials or the 70's show.

Memory is foggy on the source....but I am pretty sure Disney was talking about it.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Federation Councillor

See, this is where my youth works against me, I did not realise that there was a 30s and 40s comic strip where buck began. My Buck began and stopped with Erin Gray and Pamela Hensley!

Interesting to hear how these comic strips evolve into other things as the years pass, and what's fashionable at the time influences the interpretations.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

There's actually a great compilation book on Buck, Kevin, and you should be able to find it through your local library. I actually won my copy at a convention costume contest about a decade ago... (I went as Robot Monster) and was given that book as my prize. It's a fun night's read, I can tell you... it's amazing how influental both it, and the original Flash Gordon strips have been to science fiction media down through the years!

Know your roots.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.