The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > List The Many Reasons Why Star Trek is better than Star Wars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Spock? Not remember this name I do. Familar he looks though, like one of my padawans, Surak his name was.

Speed, warp have you.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Sentance structure of japanese language, have you...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Rear Admiral

Yoda of Borg, I am. Add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own, we will. Adapt to service us, your culture will. Futile, resistance is.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek and Star Wars are (as others have pointed out) apples and oranges.

I love them both.

Star Trek is science fiction. Star Wars is space fantasy. Nothing wrong with either format. Being a fencerider, I see the pretentiousness of both sides when they try to deride the other.

As a TV series, Star Trek had great appeal....managed to have three out of five shows go as far as seven seasons.

As a film series, Star Wars is far more successful. It will be interesting to see how Star Wars holds up as TV series (the upcoming Clone Wars animated series, and the live action series taking place between eps III and IV that is supposed to go into production...hopefully soon.)

I don't know what the merchandising numbers are between the two.

But I do know that only after 11 films, can Star Trek even possibly conceive of touching 1/4 the box office 6 (soon to be 7) Star Wars films have made.

In terms of quality.....it's a matter of personal tastes I guess. Thankfully, my tastes are pretty flexible when it comes to these two great franchises.

Last edited by martok2112 : 08-13-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diron Hod View Post
No I have not.
Give it a try.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Federation Councillor

They're different. One is not better than the other - why does one have to be?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
They're different. One is not better than the other - why does one have to be?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Kevin, Vuedoc,

My friends, you have asked the very question that has plagued those who simply try to enjoy something of the likes of Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Detroit Redwings, Godzilla, and anything else with a strong following....

...the answer is "fanaticism", thus the reason we get the term "fans". Some of us use the term "fan" as shorthand to simply say we really enjoy our chosen form of entertainment. And there are those of reason who do genuinely prefer one over the other.

It's when the reasons become pretentious.... "Star Trek is for intellects", or "Star Wars is for the cool people", or any of that felgercarb... that fanwars begin. And believe me....fanwars are not always nice and friendly. Sometimes they get downright personal.

I've been witness to a very heated and often hostile fanwar involving Battlestar Galactica. For someone like myself, who enjoys both versions of Galactica (1978, and the current series which is in its final season), seeing these fanwars shows me the stupidity, the childishness of such factionalizing.

Some (not all) original series fans of Galactica despise the new show because they feel that the showrunner, Ron Moore, basically took a big dump all over them, and all over the spirit of the original show. Their view is not helped by the fact that there are some (but not all) fans on the side of the new show who accuse them of being "stuck in the 70's", while those die-hard original series fans accuse new series fans of being "morally bankrupt, dysfunctional, and just downright unsavory".....which is how die-hard OS fans view the new show. Personal attacks in fandom are just plain stupid.

Unfortunately, it's that way for just about any fandom. Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, sports collectives, anime....as I said, anything with a strong following.

The thing that we sometimes forget, as fans, is that all we're talking about is a TV show, or a movie series. Just like sports fans ultimately forget that, at the end of the day, for all their posturing and trash-talk, it's just a game they're talking about.

And why should fans get upset over their franchises. They have NO control over them. All they can do is go, watch, perhaps support the franchise with their money (which does imply some semblance of control), but they have no direct control over how a show goes, or how a sports team plays their game. All we can do is watch, ultimately.

Fan ribbing is one thing. Fan wars are just plain stupid.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Kevin, Vuedoc,

The thing that we sometimes forget, as fans, is that all we're talking about is a TV show, or a movie series. Just like sports fans ultimately forget that, at the end of the day, for all their posturing and trash-talk, it's just a game they're talking about.

And why should fans get upset over their franchises. They have NO control over them. All they can do is go, watch, perhaps support the franchise with their money (which does imply some semblance of control), but they have no direct control over how a show goes, or how a sports team plays their game. All we can do is watch, ultimately.
I agree! Just as belief in evolution doesn't preclude the existence of a god... or vice a versa... One can be a fan of Star Trek without feeling that it is a superior example of Science Fiction to that of Star Wars. Remember... They're both Science Fiction!!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:16 AM
Lieutenant

It has the captains chair!