The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > List The Many Reasons Why Star Trek is better than Star Wars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Rear Admiral

No I have not.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenden freeze View Post
STAR TREK! And i have a lot of stuff to back this up (most of it is from the official star trek vs star wars site).
Before i start though, STAR WARS DOES NOT WIN BECAUSE YOU SAY SO!!! Q and all forms of gods will not be counted here, Trek and Wars, although i cant remember a god in star wars... Also, this is the entire Star Trek universe vs the entire Star Wars universe. The Star trek universe is aparently bigger, but you relentless star wars fans are still convinced you can win. We shall see.....

1. Star wars weapons in space have a max range of about 3000 Km, but in startrek, the range is 20000 for phasers, and 5000 for torpedoes. Star wars turbolasers trade range and accuracy for sheer power, as the empires weapons are more powerful than that of star trek, but they would have to get damn close to use them. Phasers are not only also capable of locking on to things that are in motion, but to specific systems, such as, weapons, engines, and bridge, giving them a huge advantage over star wars ships.

2. Borg. This race assimilates other races and adds them to its huge empire. At the battle of Wolf 359, a single officer was assimilated from the Federation, and because of that, the Borg were able to destroy 39 Federation ships. What would happen if they assimilated an imperial officer? They also have the ability to adapt. If the death star destroyed one borg cube, then after a few more cubes had been destroyed, they would have adapted. Blasters as well would most probably be adapted to. Another lesser known ability of the the borg is to be able to actually assimilate ships. This happens in Voyager - Scorpion part 2, and Enterprise - regeneration, when a borg drone simply injected nanobots into the computer systems. with the ability to beam onto a star wars ship, the borg could simply assimilate everything onboard.

3. Species 8472 are completely organic, and were only stopped when technology from the borg was added to federatoion technology to vreate a hybrid torpedo. This race also has the power to destroy a planet, and this is almost always overlooked. The ships are about 100 meters long, small for star trek, and 6 (or 7?) linked up and fired a huge laser at a planet. Sure, it took about 5 seconds for it to be blown apart, but only 100 meters? When star wars needed a station the size of a small moon, which could be easily destroyed by a well aimed torpedo, out of range of the turrets on the death stars. So, overall, the species 8472 weapon is more powerful than the death star. It is also highly possible that there could be multiple of these weapons.

4. Phasers. Now, if there was a ground battle, star wars would win, no doubt there, but star trek is more space based, and the weapons they do have for ground combat are no match for anything star wars can throw at them. BUT! Phasers are a lot more complex than a standard E-11 blaster rifle. For instance, the blaster has two settings, stun and kill, but the stun setting appears to be very close range, and only lasts for about 5 minutes. A standard Voyager phaser has several settings, from "OUCH!" to complete disintergration. And this is where the Jedi come in. In actual fact, the jedi stand much less of a chance than many star wars fans think. In one episode of voyager, (no idea which one, but basicly, an alien 'ghost' starts taking over members of the crew,) Tuvok (taken over by the alien), announces that he has his phaser set to Wide dispersal and kill. No one contradicts him. But he does fire it on stun, and the full bridge crew and others (15 - 20 people) are all stunned simultaniously. The Jedi would not be able to block a wide beam, and it would be rather hard for them to dogde (invisions obi wan leaning back in matrix style while the phaser passes over his head... ). Also, in a next generation episode, Q sends some of the crew to a planet, where data scans some aliens approaching them and says something along the lines of "they have weapons simlar to earths 18th centuary mustkets, range, 100 meters maximum."
To which riker replies "no match for our phasers!" Which suggests that phasers can shoot a few hundred meters at least.

5. Manourverability and speed. The star wars fans seem to say that light speed is faster than star trek, but, well, it is actually only the speed of light. Warp 4.8 is actually 111 times the speed of light, yes, one-hundred-and-eleven. and most federation ships can go upto warp 9. so i am pretty sure that star trek has the speed advantage. Also, Star trek ships are very agile, as you can see when the USS defiant (120 meters long, almost the size of a blockade runner, which is 150 meters) dodges in and out of enemy ships, something which i cant see the blockade runner doing....also, one of the funniest moments in star wars is when there are several

6. Other things include genral techonology, and unique to the universe stuff. Scanners in star wars have to be lifted by two men just to scan for lifeforms, but in star trek, a handheld scanner, called a tricorder, can scan for hundreds of meters and pick up almost everythingof interest.
Cloaking techinology as well, is available in both universes, the difference is, that in star trek, it can be held by a small mine no bigger than a meter sqaured each, but in star wars, an officer comments "a ship that size couldnt have a cloaking device!" referring to the Millenium Falcon.

So there we have it. Ive probably missed out some stuff, but unintentionaly, and there are a good few reasons why star trek would DESTROY star wars!
Oy vey, here we go again!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
Have you attended a Star Trek convention?
I have fond memories of Trek conventions!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Well, let's see...

1. Trek is about a very workaday world. You can join Starfleet the same way you could join the military of today. So you have a chance to see the universe, and possibly have the power to affect change. In Star Wars, if you're not a major player of either jedi/sith or highborn, you're prety much chaff. (Bantha fodder, as some would say.)

2. Trek, although no 2001, where scientific accuracy is concerned, at least makes an attempt at it. Star Wars doesn't really... It's much more Edgar Rice Burroughs in space, rather than a real stab at science fiction.

3. In Trek, the girls are prettier.

4. In Trek, religion is downplayed. In Star Wars, religion is a basic force (pun) to contend with.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Well, let's see...

1. Trek is about a very workaday world. You can join Starfleet the same way you could join the military of today. So you have a chance to see the universe, and possibly have the power to affect change. In Star Wars, if you're not a major player of either jedi/sith or highborn, you're prety much chaff. (Bantha fodder, as some would say.)

2. Trek, although no 2001, where scientific accuracy is concerned, at least makes an attempt at it. Star Wars doesn't really... It's much more Edgar Rice Burroughs in space, rather than a real stab at science fiction.

3. In Trek, the girls are prettier.

4. In Trek, religion is downplayed. In Star Wars, religion is a basic force (pun) to contend with.
5. They would welcome FanWriter45 with open arms.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Spock's in Star Trek....'nuff said.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Spock's in Star Trek....'nuff said.
True. And though he also has pointy ears Yoda is no satisfying substitution
Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Great ships like the ENT-D!