The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Can Star Trek be epic?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How successful will Star Trek be?
It'll be the smash hit of 2008; win an Oscar 12 25.53%
It'll be the largest ST title to date 34 72.34%
It'll be mildly successful, but won't reach new audience 6 12.77%
Won't manage to break even 2 4.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
I think you gave me my response in your post. You cannot do TOS without race, and honestly, I would hope we're beyond the point where having people of all races on the bridge is a shock. The only new point was having a Middle Easterner.

What I'm talking about are issues such as terrorism, epidemics, sexual orientation (there still we're any gays in this movie), or environmentalism. These are current issues our world is dealing with, and I'd like to see less shallowness the next time around.

Don't get me wrong, this was a great movie, but all I'm saying is that I'd like to see more depth.
Are you asking for depth, or preachiness?

There were themes and issues in the movie, they were just woven into the characters and story, rather than the 'we have a message and we'll beat you over the head with it', morality of the week kind, or the 'an issue ripped from the headlines in every new episode' kind of thing that legal TV shows do a lot, and neither of these usually provide depth - quite the opposite.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
Are you asking for depth, or preachiness?

There were themes and issues in the movie, they were just woven into the characters and story rather than the 'we have a message and we'll beat you over the head with it', morality of the week kind. The kind of "depth" you're asking for sounds like what shows like the kind of thing legal TV shows do (an issue ripped from the headlines in every new episode), which I find quite shallow.
That's actually a rather interesting observation, and I think that that 'hit you over the head with it' is something that has happened in Star Trek before.

Certainly there are moments in TOS episodes which are not woven into the script but are rather simply spelled out for the viewer and that has also occurred in a film or two.

courtesy of Saquist