The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Can Star Trek be epic?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How successful will Star Trek be?
It'll be the smash hit of 2008; win an Oscar 12 25.53%
It'll be the largest ST title to date 34 72.34%
It'll be mildly successful, but won't reach new audience 6 12.77%
Won't manage to break even 2 4.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenj1986 View Post
I am a loyal trekkie, and as much as I hate to say it, A complete re-imagining of the entire franchise (and a re-boot of some major details) is likely what TREK needs to reach beyond the trekkies. It seems that this is what is being done. "Canon" will likely be erased and re-imagined. The latest series, "Enterprise", attempted to do just that and it failed miserably. We should be given a distinct reason as to WHY canon must be changed to comply with a series of events. Abrams is the guy who can do that for us. I am confident that Star Trek will go back to Roddenberry's original concept of the future.
I agree, but Ent. didn't fail as bad as it's made out to have. 1st it was released on UPN, a floundering network at the time that didn't have the audience it should have. And it had to compete with huge reboots like battlestar galactica, which I think is very interesting after only seeing a few episodes.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Lieutenant

it definitely has the potential to be, being a prequel/reboot/whatever it is
Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADBAXTER View Post
It will most likely end up as the most successful TREK movie made.
I hope so...Considering, my co-worker and I are conning everyone that we work with to go see it with us at midnight.

*oh my geez! I was just freaked out by thunder...Colorado isn't supposed to get thunder in February at night! It's like, 15 degrees F out! I'm seriously freaking out....*

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenj1986 View Post
I am a loyal trekkie, and as much as I hate to say it, A complete re-imagining of the entire franchise (and a re-boot of some major details) is likely what TREK needs to reach beyond the trekkies. It seems that this is what is being done. "Canon" will likely be erased and re-imagined.
I don't know that it'll be erased, though it's evident that at least some of the visual details will be changed to reflect a more modern look. Certain something that "erases" the previous Trekverse would be a huge risk, and not an especially good idea, but the producers have said repeatedly that they're not doing that.

Quote:
The latest series, "Enterprise", attempted to do just that and it failed miserably.
I didn't see "Enterprise" as doing anything of the kind, myself. All the sturm und drang notwithstanding, ENT actually had fewer continuity errors relative to the previous material than did TNG. Pretty darn impressive record! But it ran afoul of people's preconceptions, and that upset folks.

Quote:
We should be given a distinct reason as to WHY canon must be changed to comply with a series of events. Abrams is the guy who can do that for us. I am confident that Star Trek will go back to Roddenberry's original concept of the future.
Well, we know they're going to fill in some details about a time before what we saw in TOS. Will they actually change things in a major way? To date, there's still no evidence of that, despite a lot of concern about it. I really hope they don't, but only time will tell.

Best,
Alex
Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Midshipman

I definitely think this film has the potential to be truly epic in scale as well as more successful than any of the other Star Trek films. I think that the current direction the film is going in is just what is needed to keep most of the loyal Trekkies anticipating the movie while not turning off non-fans. I definitely think that this film will successfully reboot the franchise - and hopefully keep it going for many years into the future.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Sure it can be epic... a 3 h movie or something close would be nice

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 02-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
I agree, but Ent. didn't fail as bad as it's made out to have. 1st it was released on UPN, a floundering network at the time that didn't have the audience it should have. And it had to compete with huge reboots like battlestar galactica, which I think is very interesting after only seeing a few episodes.
And it has ratings like Stargate, but in that time Paramount just made bull****.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:53 AM
Ensign

Sci Fi storytelling never gets any respect from the Oscars. So I think that's probably a little over optimistic. If Kurtzman, Orci & Abrams have crafted the kind of tale I think they have, stretching across two centuries, then it could turn out to be Generations again... but done right this time. Anything that epic in scope has got to be given a chance.

Last edited by ChristopherPike : 02-02-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Lieutenant

I would love for it the be the best movie ever, but im trying to be realistic and just saying that it will just be the biggest trek film ever.

HardyCofE
Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Ensign

I think that JJ and company will make the best Star Trek film they can make with the script they have to work with. Will it be as big as Star Wars? Never! At least not and stay true to Star Trek. It will do well at the box office though and will probably have a sequel or two and we can only hope...another TV series.

Kevin