The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > TNG Films: Which One is the Ultimate Fan Favorite?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite TNG Movie?
Generations 5 10.00%
First Contact 36 72.00%
Insurrection 4 8.00%
Nemesis 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Which was totally out of character for the Borg, they assimilate and reproduce asexually. Just some dumb sex scene to gain the general audience.
Now compare this to the relationship between Picard and Lily whcih evolved from initial mistrust to true friendship.
I never really liked the Borg as much after they introduced the queen. They were extremely ominous and difficult to pin down before, now they have a queen, which seemed very indivisualistic. I think she ruined the Borg in many ways. She just gave the Borg a too human identity, sexuality, lust for power, ego, just too human. Before they were a force of nature, it'd be like going up to a storm and asking it not to rain on you.

I always thought that was terrifying about the Borg.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 08-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Lieutenant Commander

i like all of them apart from Insurrection
Old 08-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

Zardoz, that animation of the Romulan and the Rabbit made me shoot coca-cola all over my monitor screen!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Lieutenant

I love "Generations", it is a close call for me between ST II, VI, VII, and VIII - but I come down for "Generations" as the best.

Does everyone agree that Star Wars V ("Empire") is the best of the SW series?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

Empire takes a razor's edge second for me....Revenge of the Sith just edged it out in my book. But for the original trilogy, yes, ESB was the best of the series.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Lieutenant

Who invited the Star Wars fan to the discussion? Empire and Sith definitely had the most edge to them. Love the battle scenes in Sith and the philosophy in Empire.

However, I really want to know what is it about Nemesis that seemed to put the Star Trek franchise in jeopardy? Why was Shatner given such a BIG role in Generations? And a surreal role at that? Nimoy even hated the Kirk death scene in that film. Can the argument be made that Kirk was never actually in the Nexus or is 'resistance futile' when it comes to Kirk's death?

As an aside, the scene where the Vulcans emerge from their ship and introduce themselves to Zephram Cochrane gave me chills. That of itself was an origin story for all of Trek.

Last edited by Chucky D : 08-09-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky D View Post
Who invited the Star Wars fan to the discussion? Empire and Sith definitely had the most edge to them. Love the battle scenes in Sith and the philosophy in Empire.

However, I really want to know what is it about Nemesis that seemed to put the Star Trek franchise in jeopardy? Why was Shatner given such a BIG role in Generations? And a surreal role at that? Nimoy even hated the Kirk death scene in that film. Can the argument be made that Kirk was never actually in the Nexus or is 'resistance futile' when it comes to Kirk's death?

As an aside, the scene where the Vulcans emerge from their ship and introduce themselves to Zephram Cochrane gave me chills. That of itself was an origin story for all of Trek.
I'd like to also know why Nemesis seemed to put the franchise in jeopardy. I would take a guess it was because of the death of Data. But to me it left it open to see what the "new" Data would be. Would he become the old Data because of the memory sharing?

Nemesis I thought was by far the best of the movies. For it really brought back how the Borg wasn't the only problem that Star Fleet had. They have many enemies just as much of a problem as the Borg. I thought it really brought some new challenges and excitement to the franchise.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I'd like to also know why Nemesis seemed to put the franchise in jeopardy. I would take a guess it was because of the death of Data. But to me it left it open to see what the "new" Data would be. Would he become the old Data because of the memory sharing?

Nemesis I thought was by far the best of the movies. For it really brought back how the Borg wasn't the only problem that Star Fleet had. They have many enemies just as much of a problem as the Borg. I thought it really brought some new challenges and excitement to the franchise.
As far as I know, Spiner did not want to continue playing Data, because he thought an android does not age.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Lieutenant

I really like First contact. Generations is my second favorite TNG movie.

"Spock...comment"
"Very bad poetry, Captain."
"A more useful comment, Mr. Spock."

I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar. (Spock)
Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post

I think it was a combination of factors around that time. I think the cast were ready to move on (Spiner in particular wasn't going to be able to play the part forever, and Stewart is always busy with other things), Nemesis itslef also didn't really earn any money at the box office. I think it barely made back what it cost to make, so that was going to make Paramount rethink what to do next. Enterprise was on air but not having the best of times, trying to get settled etc I think they just all came together and forced an evaluation of the franchise because it was visibly on shaky ground.