The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Aztec Calender
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

so we going to die or not
Old 08-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

My 1940s pin-up calender runs out in late December every year. I just buy a new one.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Federation Councillor

I looked it up after it was referenced arounf Indy IV, because the Crystal Skulls figure into the mythology (although they themselves have been debunked as later fakes).

Essentially the Mayan calendar ends on December 21st 2012 (interestingly the same invasion date was used in the finale of the X-Files but I digress). Now the doomsayers mean that to be the end of life on Earth. Some sites also work in the theory of a tenth planet in the solar system, I forget it's name, that the Mayans knew the existence of but which is more a comet as we would know it today. It's supposed to have a very large orbit taking 3600 years to complete. Again some sites work the Mayan calendar in sychronicity with the comet-planet's orbit and that when it returns it will pass through and it's gravity will cause huga natural disasters on Earth etc. It's claimed that there an unaccounted mass within the solar system that the followers believe to be the tenth planet. They also think that films like Deep Impact and Armageddon are warm-ups for the real announcement of the event.

Personally I'm not scientifically minded to wade through the facts and figures, dates and conspiracy theories that surround the matter, but even if the calendar ends in 2012 it doesn't automatically mean the end of the world, it could be some kind of metaphorical new beginning - who knows!

There are thousands of end of the world prophecies out there and many should have happened already and have not so I'm not inclined to worry until I don't see December 22nd that year - I could be dead before then anyway by car accident or something anyway. I will hold off buying my Christmas presents that year though - no point wasting the cash if it comes true!

By the way, if you want a sign of how likely it is Roland Emmerich is directing a 2009 film with John Cusack on the subject of the 2012 apocalypse. Maybe he has the answer - or maybe it's to prepare us....
Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
My 1940s pin-up calender runs out in late December every year. I just buy a new one.
They quit making my BBW Swimsuit calander, I was not happy...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

I have yet to rely on Roland Emmerich to accurately depict anything (INDEPENDENCE DAY, GODZILLA... say when).

The problem with this tenth planet idea with a 3600-year orbit is... how could they possibly know that, since no such astronomy existed to accurately measure such an orbit 3594 years ago? Back in the Pluto thread, it was discussed that our best technology today can't even predict its exact orbit deep into the future, because its current orbit is too erratic to pinpoint it centuries from now.

Sure comets and asteroids come and go, but there's no spare planet rattling around our solar system, hiding to pounce upon us in four years.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I have yet to rely on Roland Emmerich to accurately depict anything (INDEPENDENCE DAY, GODZILLA... say when).

The problem with this tenth planet idea with a 3600-year orbit is... how could they possibly know that, since no such astronomy existed to accurately measure such an orbit 3594 years ago? Back in the Pluto thread, it was discussed that our best technology today can't even predict its exact orbit deep into the future, because its current orbit is too erratic to pinpoint it centuries from now.

Sure comets and asteroids come and go, but there's no spare planet rattling around our solar system, hiding to pounce upon us in four years.
August 2012....
RUN!!!! HERE COMES PLUTO!!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Federation Councillor

I can't recall the site I was on at the time and I'm not endorsing any of this, but supposedly the Mayans at that time knew about the current 9 planets and their orbits then, so if they knew of a tenth planet why would they be wrong? How they calculated a 3600 year orbit, again the sites explain (put in Mayans 2012 and you'll get doxens of them to flick through - some are connected to far right-wing Christian apocalypse sites but again I digress). It's not uninteresting reading but I don't particularly buy it.

Yes, Emmerich may be more interested in his visual effects toolbox than anything else, and the film apparently involves parallel universes as well, that Cusack flits between, so go figure!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Lieutenant Commander

astronomers know that there will be some kind of planetary alignment that might threaten Earth's orbit and could tilt Earth off its axis.

They Mayan calendar was extremely precise predicting eclipses thousands of years in advance.

I think something ill happen on 12/21/12 but I don't know what.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Scientists at CERN want to create a Black Hole on Earth before then as well. In theory, though statistically unlikely it could destroy the Earth as well. Who knows when your time's up? It wouldn't be as if anything could be done about it anyway. I think with current events, doomsday scenarios are gaining popularity for the sake of it. Though it would be very unlucky to be born in the generation that saw the end of the World.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Commander

The prophecy of the Mayan calendar is that our solar system was slowy ending its fifth cycle , it's " darkest before the dawn " in 1987 , moving toward the mourning of the first cycle that will officially arrive in 2012. And how we use the brief years between now and then will determine whether the impending birth of the " mourning" is destructive or productive. Negativity ,violence, greed , cruelty, the lust for power , and the systematic desrecration of nature and its sacred inhabitants will guarantee a catastrophic transition from the fifth cycle back to the first , while a global nurturing of kindness,respect,unity,charity,and a celebration of the sanctity of our natural planet and all its living creatures can, by our choice, create a cyclical transition into a truly golden age. So 2012 , the Maya promise , will mark a profound change among us on earth. What kind of change it will be entirely up to us..

Sylvia Browne
End Of Days