The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > The Shorter Way Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
It's sort of a pitfall of doing the "lost/stranded" premise. The writers and producers really couldn't have an easy way for our heroes to get home, because the series would technically be over at that point. So whenever an opportunity arises where they might be able to go home, something always has to go wrong at the last minute to prevent that. It's required to maintain the show's premise as it was the case in "Gilligan's Island".

In the case of the female Caretaker, I agree that they could have handled that one better. It would have been symmetry to have the female Caretaker be the focus of the finale episode, but in a way, the Borg Queen became her substitute instead...

Smart thinking is not allowed. You should know better.

Of course, had they gone that route, the Voyager wouldn't have been stranded in the Delta Quadrant...
Then it would have been-Star Trek Voayager, We're not so lost.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Midshipman

i dont see y they always have to use the milkyway galaxy all the time Voyager could have been pulled to the andromeda galaxy and then find a way home from there new galaxy = new threats would have made the story more appeling
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
It's sort of a pitfall of doing the "lost/stranded" premise. The writers and producers really couldn't have an easy way for our heroes to get home, because the series would technically be over at that point. So whenever an opportunity arises where they might be able to go home, something always has to go wrong at the last minute to prevent that. It's required to maintain the show's premise as it was the case in "Gilligan's Island".

In the case of the female Caretaker, I agree that they could have handled that one better. It would have been symmetry to have the female Caretaker be the focus of the finale episode, but in a way, the Borg Queen became her substitute instead...
Agreed on the 'Gilligan's Island' comparison. I agree as well the caretaker should have been the focus of the finale (i brought that up on the 'what would you do different' thread. I would have liked to see the Caretaker bookend the series like 'Q' did with TNG. But again the Borg took over!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Agreed on the 'Gilligan's Island' comparison. I agree as well the caretaker should have been the focus of the finale (i brought that up on the 'what would you do different' thread. I would have liked to see the Caretaker bookend the series like 'Q' did with TNG. But again the Borg took over!
THen fans would have screamed TNG COPY!!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, no I don't think so. I don't mean it in the sense of copying the TNG template. But 'All Good Things' brought the end back to the beginning (Q, the trial that never ended, referencing it's past) and brought it full circle.

Deep Space Nine did a similar thing with 'What you leave behind' (coming back to Sisko fulfilling his prophecy as the Emissary, althought by then they had the war to end as well) so again the end comes back around to the beginning.

Voyager could have had all the Borg they wanted, but to bring the series full circle they should have kept the final confrontation with the female caretaker to the end - it just would have been more appropriate.

I find the best series finales are the ones that come back to the beginning. You still see how far the characters have changed and gone through over the series, but it puts it into perspective and context.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Well, no I don't think so. I don't mean it in the sense of copying the TNG template. But 'All Good Things' brought the end back to the beginning (Q, the trial that never ended, referencing it's past) and brought it full circle.

Deep Space Nine did a similar thing with 'What you leave behind' (coming back to Sisko fulfilling his prophecy as the Emissary, althought by then they had the war to end as well) so again the end comes back around to the beginning.

Voyager could have had all the Borg they wanted, but to bring the series full circle they should have kept the final confrontation with the female caretaker to the end - it just would have been more appropriate.

I find the best series finales are the ones that come back to the beginning. You still see how far the characters have changed and gone through over the series, but it puts it into perspective and context.
I was not a huge fan of "All Good Things", it had some great moments, but as a whole, it was pretty lackluster for a series finale. Not even DeLance's best perfomance as Q.

DS9's finale realy wrapped up all the storylines, give them Kudos for that.

Voy's Endgame, again alot of good elements, but very lackluster.

We'll just skip ENT's "These are the voyages"...
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Federation Councillor

I felt Voyager's finale was very generic and was trying too hard to be epic, which it really wasn't. I never got as far as watching ENT's finale so I can't comment but I felt that TNG and DS9 did the best jobs with their finales (although the 'memories' style montage at the end was too sugary for me).
Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I felt Voyager's finale was very generic and was trying too hard to be epic, which it really wasn't. I never got as far as watching ENT's finale so I can't comment but I felt that TNG and DS9 did the best jobs with their finales (although the 'memories' style montage at the end was too sugary for me).
Agree on the sugary, but it's TV, so it's kinda forgivable.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Lieutenant

At least Voyager's down memory lane episode (Shattered) was an excellent episode. One of my top 10.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynJaneway View Post
At least Voyager's down memory lane episode (Shattered) was an excellent episode. One of my top 10.

shattered was definatly one of my favorites