The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > The Shorter Way Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
It's sort of a pitfall of doing the "lost/stranded" premise. The writers and producers really couldn't have an easy way for our heroes to get home, because the series would technically be over at that point. So whenever an opportunity arises where they might be able to go home, something always has to go wrong at the last minute to prevent that. It's required to maintain the show's premise as it was the case in "Gilligan's Island".

In the case of the female Caretaker, I agree that they could have handled that one better. It would have been symmetry to have the female Caretaker be the focus of the finale episode, but in a way, the Borg Queen became her substitute instead...


Smart thinking is not allowed. You should know better.

Of course, had they gone that route, the Voyager wouldn't have been stranded in the Delta Quadrant...
Then it would have been-Star Trek Voayager, We're not so lost.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-07-2008, 07:01 AM
madmanjtk madmanjtk is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Default

i dont see y they always have to use the milkyway galaxy all the time Voyager could have been pulled to the andromeda galaxy and then find a way home from there new galaxy = new threats would have made the story more appeling
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
It's sort of a pitfall of doing the "lost/stranded" premise. The writers and producers really couldn't have an easy way for our heroes to get home, because the series would technically be over at that point. So whenever an opportunity arises where they might be able to go home, something always has to go wrong at the last minute to prevent that. It's required to maintain the show's premise as it was the case in "Gilligan's Island".

In the case of the female Caretaker, I agree that they could have handled that one better. It would have been symmetry to have the female Caretaker be the focus of the finale episode, but in a way, the Borg Queen became her substitute instead...
Agreed on the 'Gilligan's Island' comparison. I agree as well the caretaker should have been the focus of the finale (i brought that up on the 'what would you do different' thread. I would have liked to see the Caretaker bookend the series like 'Q' did with TNG. But again the Borg took over!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Agreed on the 'Gilligan's Island' comparison. I agree as well the caretaker should have been the focus of the finale (i brought that up on the 'what would you do different' thread. I would have liked to see the Caretaker bookend the series like 'Q' did with TNG. But again the Borg took over!
THen fans would have screamed TNG COPY!!
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Well, no I don't think so. I don't mean it in the sense of copying the TNG template. But 'All Good Things' brought the end back to the beginning (Q, the trial that never ended, referencing it's past) and brought it full circle.

Deep Space Nine did a similar thing with 'What you leave behind' (coming back to Sisko fulfilling his prophecy as the Emissary, althought by then they had the war to end as well) so again the end comes back around to the beginning.

Voyager could have had all the Borg they wanted, but to bring the series full circle they should have kept the final confrontation with the female caretaker to the end - it just would have been more appropriate.

I find the best series finales are the ones that come back to the beginning. You still see how far the characters have changed and gone through over the series, but it puts it into perspective and context.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well, no I don't think so. I don't mean it in the sense of copying the TNG template. But 'All Good Things' brought the end back to the beginning (Q, the trial that never ended, referencing it's past) and brought it full circle.

Deep Space Nine did a similar thing with 'What you leave behind' (coming back to Sisko fulfilling his prophecy as the Emissary, althought by then they had the war to end as well) so again the end comes back around to the beginning.

Voyager could have had all the Borg they wanted, but to bring the series full circle they should have kept the final confrontation with the female caretaker to the end - it just would have been more appropriate.

I find the best series finales are the ones that come back to the beginning. You still see how far the characters have changed and gone through over the series, but it puts it into perspective and context.
I was not a huge fan of "All Good Things", it had some great moments, but as a whole, it was pretty lackluster for a series finale. Not even DeLance's best perfomance as Q.

DS9's finale realy wrapped up all the storylines, give them Kudos for that.

Voy's Endgame, again alot of good elements, but very lackluster.

We'll just skip ENT's "These are the voyages"...
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

I felt Voyager's finale was very generic and was trying too hard to be epic, which it really wasn't. I never got as far as watching ENT's finale so I can't comment but I felt that TNG and DS9 did the best jobs with their finales (although the 'memories' style montage at the end was too sugary for me).
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I felt Voyager's finale was very generic and was trying too hard to be epic, which it really wasn't. I never got as far as watching ENT's finale so I can't comment but I felt that TNG and DS9 did the best jobs with their finales (although the 'memories' style montage at the end was too sugary for me).
Agree on the sugary, but it's TV, so it's kinda forgivable.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
KathrynJaneway's Avatar
KathrynJaneway KathrynJaneway is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere East of the Great Salt Lake.
Posts: 461
Default

At least Voyager's down memory lane episode (Shattered) was an excellent episode. One of my top 10.
__________________
Think Good thoughts. Thanks to Elizadolots for the avatar.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 PM
brenden freeze's Avatar
brenden freeze brenden freeze is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Archer Medical Bay
Posts: 1,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynJaneway View Post
At least Voyager's down memory lane episode (Shattered) was an excellent episode. One of my top 10.

shattered was definatly one of my favorites
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.