The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Guitar players? I need purchasing advice.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 AM
Commander

Default Guitar players? I need purchasing advice.

I've been playing an acoustic for 10 years. I've taken classes and I have instructional books and stuff. I am looking to buy my first and possibly only electric guitar, something to grow old with. I'm not quite the beginner and I'm not a pro. Its mainly for my own personal enjoyment. I don't plan to make public appearances.

I don't have the time to go to a guitar store to try everything out. I am 5ft. short and have small hands, so I'm thinking solid body Fender Strat? The Squires? or the Fender mini? I need advice? Should I buy those Fender kits that come with the small amps? I live in an apartment and don't need the loudness. They are like $200.

The style I want to play is jazz and blues. Hard body, hollow body? Should I just buy the $100 China made? $400 Mexico made Fender Strat.. or not buy a Fender?

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 07-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Federation Councillor

If you wish to play Jazz/Blues, I would reccomed a hollow body Gibson, they make several models for Jazz. You can also check pawn shops.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Commander

sorry, the only experience is in Rock Band

Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

I've been pondering taking up the guitar, so I can only offer this potential-buyer advice: try looking up websites like Guitar Center and read the USER reviews of various models. Often these are written by people who own more than one guitar already and so offer solid, practical, hands-on advice about likes and dislikes across a range of features. Look up guitars suited to your musical tastes, and odds are you'll read reviews from people who play the same music on those guitars -- that specificity might help your decision-making a lot.

If nothing else, you can create a short list of top prospects and perhaps go try out 2-4 models in the store instead of starting from scratch with 20 or 30. Good luck, and have fun!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Captain

I went shopping with my college roomate back when he was buying his first electric. We looked at over a dozen. He went with a Strat cause he was into rock. For jazz/blues, either the Gibson mentioned above or the Fender Telecaster. The latter was used pretty freqently by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
I went shopping with my college roomate back when he was buying his first electric. We looked at over a dozen. He went with a Strat cause he was into rock. For jazz/blues, either the Gibson mentioned above or the Fender Telecaster. The latter was used pretty freqently by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits.
But if your going Telecaster, it has to be an original, the reproductions suck in the overall sound department.

If one is real lucky they might find an old Danelectro, great for both rock and jazz.