The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I'll go along with that, and again it's an area I can't speak to with knowledge at all.

From the outside, I can only guess this truism though: I don't see how there can be more Wolverine-only fans than there are X-Men fans. The rabid (no pun intended) Wolverine fans would have to be a smaller subset of the larger X fanbase, wouldn't it? I don't think it's likely there are millions upon millions of fans out there who worship Wolverine and absolutely hate the X-Men as a group.

If the film caters to a more specific fanbase, that usually translates to a smaller audience pool -- just general math. How that audience reacts is a different story, of course. They could all take shifts in line to watch it 24 hours a day for all I know. But lesser numbers usually translate to less, not more.
I would assume since FOX is willing to pony up the money to make this, they feel it has the potential to make huge $$$.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Patrick Stewart is not in the cast because the movie is an origins story, before Wolverine met Xavier. I read somewhere we will see Gambit ( he was left out before), we'll see more Sabretooth, and a bunch of other characters, so it won't be Wolverine by himself, just NOT X-Men.

I think this movie will have an impact on Trek sales. I will probably see both movies as they open, but I am a fan of both. I imagine that casual movie goers that are not fans of Trek may choose to see Wolverine. I say this because the other three movies are probably an influence. I hope I am wrong. Maybe Paramount should move up the release??
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I would assume since FOX is willing to pony up the money to make this, they feel it has the potential to make huge $$$.
All true... but that doesn't necessarily interfere with TREK's opening at all, which was the main question I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I think this movie will have an impact on Trek sales. I will probably see both movies as they open, but I am a fan of both. I imagine that casual movie goers that are not fans of Trek may choose to see Wolverine. I say this because the other three movies are probably an influence. I hope I am wrong. Maybe Paramount should move up the release??
Well, they won't change the date now, considering the worldwide dates are now set. Besides, it's summer 2009... no matter which weekend they choose, TREK is either up against another movie, or opening in between two other 'big' films.

As a genre film, TREK has an opening weekend all to itself -- that's the optimal chance it's going to have, no matter which weekend it debuts. MrQ, you're right that 'casual moviegoers' who aren't Trek fans may choose to see WOLVERINE instead. Thing is, they likely weren't going to see TREK opening weekend anyway, so their alternative choice won't impact TREK's numbers at all. If they didn't plan to see TREK opening weekend, it won't matter what other film they do go see... it's still not a 'lost' ticket sale for TREK.

At any rate, what will be most important for TREK is how it sells its own tickets. No film can stop audiences from going to see something else. THE DARK KNIGHT will be the biggest film of this year, no doubt. Does that mean that IRON MAN or INDY 4 earning less than TDK make them failures? Not at all. If TREK earns its own success at the box office, the film will succeed and the franchise will expand. Paramount won't decide to make another TREK film based on WOLVERINE's box office totals.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm looking forward to Wolverine, though I wouldn't expect it to match the box-office of the main X-men franchise I hope it goes some way to filling in the back story about wolverine that was covered in X1 and X2 then stupidly forgotten about in X3 in order to concentrate on Jean Grey (if only Bryan Singer had been able to finish the trilogy properly). I also don't think it will have a major effect on Trek, but the summer season is becoming so crowded now that fewer and fewer films can really break out and be gigantic hits, this year only Iron Man, Indy and Dark Knight have truly broken out (and I don't count animated films like Wall-E or Kung Fu Panda because they always do very well with kids, I'm talking about live action blockbusters only). Wanted, Hulk etc have had to settle with under $150 million domestic gross which isn't outstanding given the cost of some of them to make. Trek will have to have the ability to draw people into multiple viewings to break out to that level, it won't be good enough just to have a solid opening weekend - it needs legs for the summer run.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Ensign

I can not wait for this movie. Wolverine is the reason to go and watch x-men films (PERIOD!_). If they do this movie right, I am afraid for my beloved TREK.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
All true... but that doesn't necessarily interfere with TREK's opening at all, which was the main question I think.

Well, they won't change the date now, considering the worldwide dates are now set. Besides, it's summer 2009... no matter which weekend they choose, TREK is either up against another movie, or opening in between two other 'big' films.

As a genre film, TREK has an opening weekend all to itself -- that's the optimal chance it's going to have, no matter which weekend it debuts. MrQ, you're right that 'casual moviegoers' who aren't Trek fans may choose to see WOLVERINE instead. Thing is, they likely weren't going to see TREK opening weekend anyway, so their alternative choice won't impact TREK's numbers at all. If they didn't plan to see TREK opening weekend, it won't matter what other film they do go see... it's still not a 'lost' ticket sale for TREK.

At any rate, what will be most important for TREK is how it sells its own tickets. No film can stop audiences from going to see something else. THE DARK KNIGHT will be the biggest film of this year, no doubt. Does that mean that IRON MAN or INDY 4 earning less than TDK make them failures? Not at all. If TREK earns its own success at the box office, the film will succeed and the franchise will expand. Paramount won't decide to make another TREK film based on WOLVERINE's box office totals.

We will require a hell of alot more then just the "FANS" to attend Star Trek showings if we hope to get a sequel or some form of continuation to the franchise.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:40 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidFan View Post
so it comes out on May 1st. How do you think this will effect Star Treks opening?
Don't know But I am watching both
as an x-men fan it will do great I think. I saw the preview and it looks good. Gambit will come out also. But to be honest the biggest appeal to the movie is Hugh Jackman, that alone will help the appeal of the movie

Last edited by trekie : 07-31-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie View Post
Don't know But I am watching both
as an x-men fan it will do great I think. I saw the preview and it looks good. Gambit will come out also. But to be honest the biggest appeal to the movie is Hugh Jackman, that alone will help the appeal of the movie
I can see where some ladies might feel that way. Been told I look a bit like he did in Van Helsing.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Federation Councillor

Apparently he must appear at least once without a shirt in every film he appears in!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Apparently he must appear at least once without a shirt in every film he appears in!
That never hurts, lol